Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am collecting my GTV on Friday after having a full respray. Obviously I want to protect my investment so what should I be doing in terms of protecting the new paint (well Lacquer I suppose would be more accurate!!)

I have collected all the kit I think I need, all AutoGlym stuff, clay bars, Extra Gloss Protection, HD Wax and a life shine kit.

I was thinking the following process for the first wash, but happy to be corrected.

1. Wash
  2. Clay
  3. Extra Gloss Protection
  4. HD Wax
And then wash and aqua wax every couple of weeks.

Does that sound like a plan?

Cheers
MC

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
341 Posts
Sounds good.

Just double check with the body shop how long the paint takes to cure fully. I'm pretty sure you should wait several weeks before applying sealant/wax after a respray.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good.

Just double check with the body shop how long the paint takes to cure fully. I'm pretty sure you should wait several weeks before applying sealant/wax after a respray.
Good point, cheers

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hi all,

I am collecting my GTV on Friday after having a full respray. Obviously I want to protect my investment so what should I be doing in terms of protecting the new paint (well Lacquer I suppose would be more accurate!!)

I have collected all the kit I think I need, all AutoGlym stuff, clay bars, Extra Gloss Protection, HD Wax and a life shine kit.

I was thinking the following process for the first wash, but happy to be corrected.

1. Wash
  2. Clay
  3. Extra Gloss Protection
  4. HD Wax
And then wash and aqua wax every couple of weeks.

Does that sound like a plan?

Cheers
MC
Don't touch it for 2-4 weeks to allow the paint to gas-out (but check with the bodyshop too).

Once the paint is fully cured I'd:

1) Pre-wash/snowfoam to loosen and remove any surface dirt (reduces the risk of causing swirls/scratches on fresh paint)

2) Rinse.

3) Two bucket wash with PH-neutral shampoo and a wash mitt (not a sponge)

4) Rinse

5) Clay (use either a quick detailer spray as a lube or a mix of shampoo & water, not just plain water)

6) Another two bucket wash to remove clay residue.

7) Dry with a plush microfiber towel (not a chamois)

8) Extra Gloss protection.

9) 24hrs later apply the HD wax (waiting 24hrs allows the EGP to fully cure and gas out).

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't clay to early, you could probably leave that stage till the autumn. Just wash, wax and seal this time around but wait a few weeks for the paint to cure.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't touch it for 2-4 weeks to allow the paint to gas-out (but check with the bodyshop too).

Once the paint is fully cured I'd:

1) Pre-wash/snowfoam to loosen and remove any surface dirt (reduces the risk of causing swirls/scratches on fresh paint)

2) Rinse.

3) Two bucket wash with PH-neutral shampoo and a wash mitt (not a sponge)

4) Rinse

5) Clay (use either a quick detailer spray as a lube or a mix of shampoo & water, not just plain water)

6) Another two bucket wash to remove clay residue.

7) Dry with a plush microfiber towel (not a chamois)

8) Extra Gloss protection.

9) 24hrs later apply the HD wax (waiting 24hrs allows the EGP to fully cure and gas out).
Thanks Mate, having read a few detailing forums and the Autoglym website this afternoon the above sounds like a good plan.

It won't get driven much over the next few weeks, with the current weather, so hopefully wont get too contaminated in a months time.

Cheers
MC

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Auto Glym is good but there is far better products out there for less !!

Detailing World is immense on this but be warned you'll be remortgaging your house after a few hours on that site to pay for all the stuff you'll want to buy.

Personally I'd go for the newer ceramic coatings they give the most protection.

I use Wolfs Nano Hard Body it's great, the water doesn't bead it literally falls off !
it repels water that well. It's insane to watch you hose he car and literally the car is near enough dry as the water just sheets off. Great stuff.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Recommendation for Meguiars gold class,

Very easy to use, no polishing dust and a great gloss finish.

Ive heard great things about Collinite 845 too but yet to try it

·
Registered
988 Posts
After checking the paint is cured I would have a look at the paint under street lighting to check for any swirls. Bodyshops will not always fully polish the paint so you may need a polish.

If you fancy the AG range then I would add SRP before EGP (or HD Wax). This will hide some minor swirls and increase gloss. The general advice from AG is to use either EGP or HD wax. There is nothing wrong with using a sealant and a wax, in fact it is very fashionable these days but it is not always necessary.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys, there is a lot to get my head around in terms of detailing products, something the nerd in me will enjoy.

Most of the AG stuff I have has accumulated over a number of years, so as things start to run out I will look at different products.

The HD wax is the latest purchase and the consensus is that its good stuff.

Picking the car up tomorrow so will post some pics up of the paint job in my other thread. Will follow this one up in a months time :thumbs:

Cheers
MC

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You'll get good results from Auto Glym products and if you've already purchased them then it's a no brainer.

If you hadn't bought the polishes then as above there lots of great stuff on the market that's better and cheaper than AG.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Have you considered 3M Ventureshield ??
Good point!, i considered getting my front bumper, bonnet and door mirrors done with this as I had my GTV re sprayed, couldn't find anywhere interested in doing it really, might try again in the spring when it's back on the road. Any suggestions, Birmingham area?.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts