Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I've been a member of the forum since 2009 but never posted.
Back then, I had a 156 Selespeed, which was a fantastic car but I just couldn't get on with the nature of the 'box around town, it annoyed me at slow speeds.
Fastforward to now, and I have recently bought a 2003 156 JTD 16v.

Sadly, the car has turned out to be a neglected, abused heap!!! :cry:

It seemed ok when I bought it, drove 'ok', looked the part and was owned by a nice family. However, when I dug deeper, the shamefull truth came to light!! I work in the motor trade so always go over any new car I buy thoroughly.
This is what I found-
* rounded sump plug that hadn't been removed for years.
* rusty oil filter, again, years and years old.
* leaking rad repaired with bodyfiller.
* Both front upper wishbone bushes hopeless.
* ARB drop links worn out.
* Seized thermostat,
* Diesel leak from hose connection.
* Front and rear discs scored.
* handbrake cable stiff/ seizing!

And on, and on and on!!! Why don't people look after cars :mad: On the plus side, the antifreeze looked relatively clean :lol:

Anyway, I've now replaced most offending items at great expense and it's only because I don't have labour to pay for that the car has been worthwhile.

The full service was top priority, I can't bare to use an engine knowing the oil is in such desperate need of a change. The cambelt, roller, tensioner and water pump was also changed and in this area, I was greeted by the original roller and tensioner (after 90k miles..), possibly the original water pump... and a worn-out Gates belt that had been put on in the wrong direction!!

Moral of the story - buyer beware. This nasty car is now becomming more useable and honest by the day.. but it has cost me dearly!! This could have been quite a shock for a new owner that had to pay garage bills!

Thanks to all of you have have posted useful things on this forum, I've been scanning relavant posts for weeks and they have been a great help :) I hope to help others in the future.

David.

http://Alfa in snow

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ah well mate. you saved it from a death. Some people just can't look after things :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I supose so. Another year of the use it had seen and there would have either been a cambelt-related disaster or maybe the engine would have seized due to neglect! Talk about drive it 'till it dies!!

I notice you have a fuelly account- I'm on there as SuperDave (!) but am yet to add the Alfa. Will do in due course though :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
haven't filled mine up on teh fuely in ages. :lol:

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Hello and welcome to posting on AO.......well done for saving the poor car......:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. It's getting happier now, most bodges resolved and the complete new suspension parts arrived yesterday. Just wish it wasn't so cold outside! :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts