Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently became the proud owner of my first Alfa, a 61 plate G Cloverleaf. Really nice car, with a bit of character, no matter what they say…

Having purchased the car a week ago, as AR approved used, I thought the car might have had a once over before I bought it? I know, I know it was my problem as I will no doubt be reminded by all the Alfa pros on here.

Anyway, it appears the car has seen some action, it has had paint all down one side, the factory accessory front spoiler doesn’t fit, it has the dreaded front suspension squeak, an oil leak and more importantly rust in the tailgate.

Now this may seem like a *****y rant, but the rust worries me. I have heard that many people have had water ingress in the tailgate and it has been fixed by replacing the wiper seal and modifying the grommets at the bottom of the panel, however this is where my car has spidery rust which has obviously come from the inside.
The bodyshop guy at the dealer had seen this in Fiats but never with the G, so it begs the question, is this a one off or is the inside of the panel badly constructed or sealed in such a way that rust can harbour where the water has accumulated?

Pictures were taken and a warranty claim no doubt will be raised with AR, but I know from bitter experience with Mercedes that the only way to cure this sort of rust is a whole new gate, something that is unlikely to be done?

So even if a go down the route of a 30 day exchange, I suspect
1) They won’t be able to find another car (not many around) or
2) I will get another (different) batch of issues or
3) I may get more of the same rust issues, unless I choose something newer and cheaper?

I am not expecting a new car but are my expectations too high here?

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
I would take it back, it sounds like a lemon.

The car has badly repaired accident damage by the sounds of it, and the dealer also sounds hopeless.

The Giulietta Cloverleaf isn't all that rare, I would certainly thinking of changing it or getting a refund and going elsewhere.

If they didn't tell you the car had been damaged and repaired then you should have a good case against them.

I have not heard of any water ingress issues into the Giulietta tailgate, and have certainly not of heard of any rust stories (yet)

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
I wouldn't panic . My car had the tailgate water ingress early on and this seemed to rinse some tiny, rusty, filings which appeared to be from production from inside the tailgate. If you're otherwise happy with the car why go through the hassle of swapping it when it's warranty covered for anti-corrosion from inside? I'd double check for signs of overspray or if it's been replaced as this would be from damage that will involve other potential issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This wasn't any detritus from the panel, this was rust under the original paint spreading out from the area of the small grommets that seal the bottom of the tailgate. Mine were solid so nothing would drain out of them, I believe the later ones have holes in them?

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
Sounds like a repair to me. What makes this an approved car?
Get another on the exchange at your leisure. Tell them that you've told them within 30 days and you'll search until you're happy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that how it works? Can I source my own car within the approved network?

I have no idea because I wasn't given any approved inspection sheet or any exchange information even though I have asked for it several times!!

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
I don't know as I bought mine new in 2011. If you post on the General Alfa section you could ask if anybody knows the small print.
"The supplying dealer must be satisfied that the returned vehicle is the same condition as when it was delivered to you. The exchange must be requested and completed within 30 days of you taking delivery and be showing a mileage of no more than 1,000 miles on top of the delivery mileage. You may choose to exchange your vehicle for one at a higher price and pay the difference."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that, I will get back on their case..

I will be a lot happier if this rust is a one off case as I like the car, but I wasn't going to get another if its a known (or new) issue.

Anyone else got the same problem?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for that, I will get back on their case..

I will be a lot happier if this rust is a one off case as I like the car, but I wasn't going to get another if its a known (or new) issue.

Anyone else got the same problem?
I have what I would call mild (I previously owned a Lancia with far worse) rust on the tailgate. Mine is a 2011 Veloce, I have the same solid plus but I believe I have one with a hole in on the tailgate too. The rust is bubbling under the paint on the inside of the tailgate, not breaking off yet. I had been trying to figure out where it was coming from when one day I noticed a drop of water running down the inside of the tailgate glass. I believe the issue is possibly spoiler related as on one side of the spoiler there is a hole, perhaps this is where the washer jet is, not looked properly yet.

David.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must admit under the tailgate would not be the first place I would look for rust, but I suppose it might be an ongoing thing? Have you thought of putting a perforation claim in?
Has anyone done this for any other panel? Do they replace the whole panel or just clean it up/ fill the damage?

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
The only mention of rust before yours was a car which been previously registered to VW and sold by a notorious main dealer. Had this car been taken apart by a competitor ?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
The only one I heard of where the tailgate was rusty was a bad repair. You mentioned that the side of the car showed signs of being repaired - could the tailgate have been done too??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could be, but the paint looks original and the bead between the outer skin looks good too. I wonder if the rear panel can be replaced separately from the rest of the tailgate?

If the concencous is that this isn't an issue, I will look for another car, although the seating position plays havoc with my left leg jammed under the clutch, the car is getting under my skin:yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts