Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned to Sean and Ross the other night that I was taking a punt on a second hand longlife exhaust system and I said I'd report back.

The exhaust system is from another CF2 2.5 V6, the car was dead so no one new how loud it may or may not be. So bit of a gamble there. Was is pretty good nick though.
Well can't fault Autolusso they wipped of the old system with much grinding of old bolts and fitted the replacement. Some new rubbers and it was done in 2 hours.

So is it loud. Well it's louder than I'd like. More boomy, especially off throttle.

I took a detour through the Hindhead tunnel on the way back. Sounds not bad full throttle pass 4K but too much bass.

On the plus side the car is running better, some horses have come back. More power everywhere and more responsive.

So I'm gonna have to look at getting the backbox re-packed, if that can be done and if that cures the bass/boomyness.

Happyish with my purchase so far. Just about to take missus out in it, this could be interesting.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmm. Trouble is the engine and induction noise is drowned out now. And that raspiness at 5K+ is harder to hear, it's still there but the boom from the back is too much.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The missus just looked at me and said "is your exhaust still broken". I feebly replied "yes dear, need to get fixed"

DOH!!:eek:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just spoke Longlife in basingstoke and there's a possibility that the boominess could be solved with a simple and cheap mod to the back box. If it doesn't work though then it would be a new backbox :cry:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been to Basinstoke Fastfit and Matt, who does the longlife exhausts, cured the boominess in less than 30 mins and only £20. Ace. :thumbs:

Still a bit louder than I'd like but much better and the drone at motorway speeds has gone. I drove back with the stereo off and it was OK.

Especially pleased talking to Matt, he reckons that system cost someone £700-800 to have made.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Looking forward to hearing it on the next meet, always think that the JTS needs an exhuast note, it does seem to whisper along

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What did they do for £20?
Probably pulled open the silencer and rammed more glass packing in.
I think it was an insert baffle of some sort to force more exhaust gas around the silencer, not had time or the weather to have a proper look up the pipe yet.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
I'm now in the fibreglass cast now. Aches a bit, been out a few times for a short journeys, but do need to cushion the underside of my leg.

Roy you should not have been so shy in coming forward about being back. Would have organised something!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I set up a meet Paul. Do you think you could pick me up? We'll only go somewhere local as I don't want to sit in a car for to long.
Yeah no problem, just give me an idea when and I'll make sure I'm free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts