Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Recently joined the forum and spent the last few days reading a few old threads.
Anyway here goes. I will be looking to purchase a car in about June this year, long story but June at the earliest. I have decided on a GT Diesel as I have had diesel for a while now and remapping them is always a laugh.

The trouble is I like LHD cars had a couple on the bounce now, so I am thinking of getting one from Europe and bringing it back. Couple of questions apart from the obvious why?

LHD is not a deal breaker but I do like to be different. Anyone had any experience of transferring a warranty to a UK one? I wont be getting a new one but a good low mileage newish one (probably from a European main dealer) would be ideal. Needs to have full leather and cruise etc.

Also I see some of them come with satnav, is this an option on the diesel version and is it just a software upgrade to get UK/Europe maps in English? Same goes for any dashboad messages, it would be nice to have them converted to.
Anyone think I'm mad? Should I just buy a UK one and have done with it?

I'm sure I will have lots of questions before I purchase. Thanks.

G

·
To continue an ongoing theme in these parts...Ahoy matey and welcome aboard the good ship AONW :D

Are you mad, you're buying an Alfa....of course you bl00dy well are, but in a good way of course :ANYWORD::ANYWORD::ANYWORD:

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
To continue an ongoing theme in these parts...Ahoy matey and welcome aboard the good ship AONW :D

Are you mad, you're buying an Alfa....of course you bl00dy well are, but in a good way of course :ANYWORD::ANYWORD::ANYWORD:
(RBD, are you mad, its cars not ships.:lol:)

OP, avast me hearty, welcome aboard:)

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,548 Posts
we are all nutters, you will get use to it :D

welcome aboard :)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
welcome to the mad house:D:thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahoy there, thanks for the welcomes.
I have just had a test drive in my first GT, it was a petrol and a selespeed one with paddleshift though. What a car, felt pretty tight, reasonably quick and everything worked. However it was just a test to see if it was compfy for me and it was. It did feel a bit jerky changing gears both auto and paddleshifting.

It at done just shy of 50K but had no history, its a Singaporian import. Slim pickings around here though. Wont be buying that one, just wanted to see the fit and finnish on it and I was impressed. Think my mind is well and truely made up as I was tempted by a Volvo C30 for a while there.

Getting a bit ahead of myself really as I won't be looking properly until later in the year.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Welcome, of course.....Seem to be more GT Diesels than petrols, and most people who have them are very happy with 'em....re-mapping is of course always a possibility...:)

Technically any car bought within the EU should have its warranty honoured anywhere in the EU, though you might have to do a bit of negotiation. Not sure if GT headlamps are "switchable" LHD to RHD or whether you'd have to buy new lamps, which could be pricy....and often prices abroad are higher than ours, because the depreciation on newish motors doesn't seem to be as bad in Europe.....

So - I'd say buy a UK car - don't be too worried about mileage - my mate did 85K miles in his in 2.5 years, with very few issues.......

I'll be impressed if you can hold out until June if you're test-driving already!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts