Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Basically this is my situation and I'm concerned that I'm being taken for a ride by quick-witted dealers.

I'm scrapping an old Fiesta so getting £2000 off, £1000 of which comes from Alfa Romeo as I'm sure you'll know.

The dealer says he has a Junior which has been built with a 95BHP engine instead of a 72BHP engine by manufacturer's error; it has no DNA or Q2 etc. He offered to sell me this at the price of a junior so I thought this was a good deal (colour is good too and it's ready to drive away, no waiting).

However, I've seen the price of a new MiTo around at ~£11K but he's charging £11975 (~£12K) then knocking £1000 off.

This seems like a common trick but he explicitly said he doesn't do it. But is he?!?

What would you buy a new junior MiTo for, and do you think the deal I have is good? Ie. £12K but £2K off for scrapping, a junior but with the Turismo's engine power?

Thanks! I appreciate any replies. :)

·
Administrator
88,183 Posts
Why don't you ring a few dealers & ask them how much for a Junior with the scrappage deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you ring a few dealers & ask them how much for a Junior with the scrappage deal.
I will be tomorrow. :)

In all honesty, I'm not the best with motoring and I don't know what a good / bad offer is. But I'll see.

But can anyone hazard a gut-reaction-based guess as to whether this is typical or a bad deal?

Thanks. :thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
i have just looked at the Alfa website...

For a Junior, with the 78BHP engine, in black with no other options would cost £11,483, but there is no mention of the 95BHP engine

Can you give more info, i.e. colour, options, etc, and is the car already registered?

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
I think it maybe a tricky car to insure as its going to show as a modified unit even though its a factory mistake, I would say a good ring around as £12k for a Junior seems a bit high to me tell him you will give him £11 plus 2k scrapage so £9k cost to you

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
It is probably a 78bhp, but he is kidding you it is a 95bhp just to get you to buy it..

To be honest I would be off to another dealer to look at a different car. Ask how much a car is for cash before mentioning the scrappage scheme, that way they won't inflate the price beforehand.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I don't think the Mito is the good deal it was 6 months ago, I know it's advanced in terms of crash survival technology and the DNA but the price for an entry level 95hp seems like too much money now. I think the Junior is a bad deal, it should be priced around £9k, it is a basic car after all. I bought my 95hp on the scrappage deal and price I paid after the scrappage was taken off was less than £9k.

R

·
0 Posts
I think it maybe a tricky car to insure as its going to show as a modified unit even though its a factory mistake
Also, what are you going to say when you come to sell it? Who will believe you and who will be put off?

I'd say that it is worth less than if it had the correct engine.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The Junior in general is a really bad deal.
Is losing the DNA system (which means you lose the stability control, traction control, electronic differential, brake assistant and hill holder and you're stuck in N mode all the time with the naff light steering and slow throttle response) as well as the 17bhp really worth saving the £510* extra it'd cost to get a 95bhp Turismo? Even if this one really has a 95bhp engine by mistake and you could get it for the same price as a normal Junior surely the other stuff is still worth the extra?

*According to the January price list.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I thought the " scrappage " deal was to buy NEW Cars only, or has it changed recently !!!!......:confused:

Surely, you cannot still buy a Junior new.......

Or am I thinking of the 145 Junior here........

Is there a MiTo Junior too.......

·
Registered
694 Posts
Surely, you cannot still buy a Junior new !!!!!!.......
They're still on the January price list, only the 120 and 155 petrols and the 1.3 diesel are marked as subject to stock availability.

Edit: It's a trim level of the MiTo with less power and the DNA system removed ;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Alfa making a 95bhp ACCIDENTLY...?....really? A one of mistake in a mass production factory operated by mostly robots...hhmmmm this wouldnt fly with me.

I say find another dealers lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
get a price from Mangoletsi and then from Northgate in Canterbury.
Both dealers are excellent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies… I really appreciate the help and rate you all as top folks. :)

Someone asked: It’s solid black, basic spec. (good for my 18 year old son who’ll drive it too), junior with 95BHP engine as opposed to the 78 you expect. He told me they ordered it wrong so were going to register it as a test model.

1) I rang a few dealers including one recommend in this thread and the good news on that front is that there is no discount from their new price. Dealers are genuinely not making that much… it seems to be Alfa making a killing on these, especially with scrappage where dealers only get a handling fee.

2) I think the main way I’ve been ripped off here is that the junior is simply not a good deal any more. At £12K, it’s a pricey car but I want one so much more than another run-of-the-mill Polo / Ibiza that I think the £10K is worth it, after scrappage.

3) Frankly I’m not going to sell it… it’s a car to keep so resale means nothing. As long as it is reliable and cheap to maintain I’m happy.

R

·
0 Posts
As long as it is reliable and cheap to maintain I’m happy.
I'm afraid that is not looking too good on that front so far. Among the faults being regularly reported on here are leaks, squeaks and snapping auxiliary belts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm afraid that is not looking too good on that front so far. Among the faults being regularly reported on here are leaks, squeaks and snapping auxiliary belts.
Yeah I noticed lol. :S

I've basically got to start praying that the one I get doesn't give me any significant problems... or it really will one of my biggest mistakes.

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
I doubt it will be any more unreliable than anything else.

The MiTo hasn't been out long so there are bound to be a few teething problems though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts