1.4 Multiair 105CV 6M PROGRESSION - 09/2009
1.4 Multiair 105CV 6M DISTINCTIVE - 09/2009
1.4 TB Multiair 135CV DDCT 6M PROGRESSION - 09/2009
1.4 TB Multiair 135CV DDCT 6M DISTINCTIVE - 09/2009
1.4 TB Multiair 135CV 5M S&S PROGRESSION - 05/2009
1.4 TB Multiair 135CV 5M S&S DISTINCTIVE - 05/2009
1.4 TB Multiair 170CV 6M S&S PROGRESSION - 10/2009
1.4 TB Multiair 170CV 6M S&S DISTINCTIVE - 10/2009

http://www.alfaromeopress.com/index.php?lng=2&group=3&method=news&action=zoom&id=4453

MultiAir” is launched on the Alfa Romeo MiTo

Just a year after the celebrations for the Centenary and as ever a synonym of refined technologies and high performance engines, Alfa Romeo announces the marketing from September of the Alfa Romeo MiTo with 1.4 Turbo petrol MultiAir engines, the revolutionary technology developed and patented by FPT – Fiat Powertrain Technologies. The range of a winning model is therefore even broader, for a model which, since its launch to date, has seen 60,000 orders and is sold in 34 Countries throughout the world in 5 different continents.
The new engines are an important "breaking point" from the current petrol engine scenario, just as was the case for the diesel Common Rail technology which saw its debut on the Alfa Romeo 156 in 1997. Just think that, compared to a traditional petrol engine with the same displacement, MultiAir engines ensure an increase in power (up to 10%) and torque (up to 15%), as well as a considerable reduction in consumption levels (up to 10%) and CO2 emissions (up to 10%), of particulates (up to 40%) and NOx (up to 60%).
The heart of the MultiAir is the new electro-hydraulic valve control system which makes it possible to reduce consumption levels (thanks to direct air control via the engine suction valves, without the use of the throttle) and polluting emissions (thanks to the combustion control). What's more, an emblem of the concept of “downsizing”, the Multiair is a versatile technology, easily applied to all petrol engines, with a future potential development on diesel engines, too.
The head of this revolutionary family is the MultiAir 1.400 16v turbocharged and aspirated engine which on the Alfa Romeo MiTo model will be available with 3 different power levels (105 HP, 135 HP and 170 HP) and combined with 5 or 6 gear manual gearboxes. While the first two are offered on all versions of the MiTo range, the third will be exclusively available on the special version called “Quadrifoglio Verde” (Green Four-leaved Clover), debutting after the launch.
Made in Termoli (CB) at the FPT – Fiat Powertrain Technologies factory, the new MultiAir engines were designed from the onset of their development to enhance further the Alfa DNA selector, the device which makes it possible to adapt the personality of the Alfa Romeo MiTo to the requirements of the driver and the different road conditions. What's more, for the first time on the “most sporty compact car ever”, the Start&Stop system will debut - combined with the MultiAir engines. This system controls the temporary turning off of the engine and its subsequent restarting (for example when stopped at a set of traffic lights), keeping all the car's other devices intended for the passengers' comfort in operation.
Turin, June 15th 2009

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Is it annoying..? Are they going to be drastically different?

If the difference between the current 120 & 155 is 0.8 of a second to 60, the 135 'should' be somewhere in between, so you're talking 0.4 of a second and now we're really splitting hairs! :lol:

The 170 might be attractive to some... as the stop/start technology might be too... but there's little doubt this will all come at an additional price though :rolleyes:

So, I wouldn't worry robins - yours will still be something you want regardless of what happens in the future :thumbs:
Im sure it will be fantastic, the fuel econamy would be better on the other one, but as with all new tech there will be more issues im sure.

On an off topic note anyone else finding themselves tempted by the Audi A1?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can understand people being annoyed about this is terms of resale values.

I bought a Fiat coupe 16v when they came out in the UK, it was replaced with the 20V was within a year.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ok wtf I'm pissed..... When i asked the dealer if there was a slightly more powerful Mito coming out they said no, definitely not going to happen, only the GTA, which was fine. Now this news.... not only will this lower the resale value of my Mito, I could have also waited for the 170BHP (which i would have). I know it’s only a 10% power increase and 15% extra torque, but that is quite a bit. I was looking at remapping my Mito (voiding the warranty) but by releasing the 170BHP this would have solved my Issues without voiding it

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
You are always going to get this in the car industry these days.
The days of introducing a new car with new engines at the same time are long gone. Remember the Maestro/montego with electronic carbs (I think)? Unmitigated disaster and loads of bad press meaning a decent car (for its time) took a battering and never recovered.
You've just got to decide when you buy the car not to look at price lists or specs again until you decide to buy another new car.

As for cancelling orders, Are there penalties to pay for cancelling? If there are then does that not just mean the less depreciation you think the newer engined cars would have is lost when you add on the penalty? And think of the wait, 12 weeks from order, and then you have the problem of when are the RHD versions being produced.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You are always going to get this in the car industry these days.
The days of introducing a new car with new engines at the same time are long gone. Remember the Maestro/montego with electronic carbs (I think)? Unmitigated disaster and loads of bad press meaning a decent car (for its time) took a battering and never recovered.
You've just got to decide when you buy the car not to look at price lists or specs again until you decide to buy another new car.

As for cancelling orders, Are there penalties to pay for cancelling? If there are then does that not just mean the less depreciation you think the newer engined cars would have is lost when you add on the penalty? And think of the wait, 12 weeks from order, and then you have the problem of when are the RHD versions being produced.
Well not really, the Mito has been released here for what, 6 months??? Fine go ahead release new engines, but not after 6months of release! Its a Joke. I know its slightly different but when i bought an Xbox 360 when it was first released, after 3months they dropped the price considerably and it came with more games. As an apology to its customers Microsoft gave customers the price difference back in refunds and gave customers a free game. As i said before I know this is totally different but its a joke. When i asked the dealer they assured me this wasn’t going to happen in the near future but clearly it is :rant:. Also I only picked my car up a week ago........

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Not just that what about the dam resale value?? WTF!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Well not really, the Mito has been released here for what, 6 months??? Fine go ahead release new engines, but not after 6months of release! Its a Joke. I know its slightly different but when i bought an Xbox 360 when it was first released, after 3months they dropped the price considerably and it came with more games. As an apology to its customers Microsoft gave customers the price difference back in refunds and gave customers a free game. As i said before I know this is totally different but its a joke. When i asked the dealer they assured me this wasn’t going to happen in the near future but clearly it is :rant:. Also I only picked my car up a week ago........

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Not just that what about the dam resale value?? WTF!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Basically your resale value has now gone down the toilet, as it wont be worth much when the new engines are released.

Secondly, to the comment above...Yes new tech comes out all the time however 6 months is a rediculous time to replace an engine...as is a pretty big F U to the people who have already spent money on the car.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Basically your resale value has now gone down the toilet, as it wont be worth much when the new engines are released.

Secondly, to the comment above...Yes new tech comes out all the time however 6 months is a rediculous time to replace an engine...as is a pretty big F U to the people who have already spent money on the car.
I thought as much. Im glad you agree and it is defo a big, BIG F U to people have just paid for the car. I dont see what can be done. There certainly not going to replace the engines, although it just does seem like a valve change, but again I can’t see them offering a free valve change even if that is the case.

Any advice on what can be done???????
:rant::mad::tut::vomit:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I thought as much. Im glad you agree and it is defo a big, BIG F U to people have just paid for the car. I dont see what can be done. There certainly not going to replace the engines, although it just does seem like a valve change, but again I can’t see them offering a free valve change even if that is the case.

Any advise on what can be done???????

:rant::mad::tut::vomit:
To be honest fella, I haven't got a clue what can be done...

I don't even know what I can do apart from cancel my order...which means i loose £500.

It's a bad situation and to be quite frank its bad of Alfa to do this...

·
Registered
702 Posts
To be honest fella, I haven't got a clue what can be done...

I don't even know what I can do apart from cancel my order...which means i loose £500.

Wish I could cancel my order :cry::cry::cry::cry:. I really wanted the Mito to be more on the same performance as the cooper S, but as I was told there wouldn’t be any new engines/models apart from the GTA and maybe a convertible and the fact that i really didn’t want a Mini, I bought it anyway.

Do you think I should phone my dealer or ARUK direct?

Thanks,

p.s. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: so ****ing pissed

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
But it would be worse if alfa didn't continually try to improve the car ... the salesman will also not aware of changes to the product range until it has been announced by alfa marketing ...

·
Registered
702 Posts
But it would be worse if alfa didn't continually try to improve the car ... the salesman will also not aware of changes to the product range until it has been announced by alfa marketing ...
ARUK it is then. Gona send em a bag full of ****

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Yes it would be worse...but this is ridiculous, all they have done is cause the current line which has be around for no time at all to loose the majority of its resale value.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
ARUK it is then. Gona send em a bag full of ****

:lol: ... of course you could get your mito remaped and gain a significant amount of BHP (because yours is a turbo versoin ...)

1 - 20 of 178 Posts