Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a beer or two, a pal of mine and i got chatting about cars. Preceding me a few years by his Mercedes ownership, he said: ‘when I got my first Merc, I saw that star on the bonnet and I thought I’m happy I’ve made it.’

Relecting on my 29 year old Merc, my aspirations - relative to his - were rather more humble: ‘I’m happy I’ve made it home.’

:)

·
Administrator
45,060 Posts
I'm not sure I've felt the same (either of those cases thankfully!) about my Merc.

I guess I've 'made it' to a car I really wanted. But I've probably spent as much time beating myself up for wasting such a stupid amount of money as I have self-satisfied that I got one. Well, at least while I'm outside the car. When I'm driving it the exhuast note sings me a song of having made the right decision...

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need to beat yourself up, Bazza. It may sound a bit trite, but there’s much to be said for ‘you only live once’; so enjoy your Benz :) I know I do (albeit it at a far slower pace :))

·
Registered
37,284 Posts
Not sure about the newest Mercedes, but the ones from a few years ago had shocking build quality compared to the older ones.

Having said that my BMW 1 series is nowhere near as well built as my older 5 and 3 series were so it is probably a common thing.

·
Administrator
45,060 Posts
Mine's been perfectly reliable for the 2 years I've owned it. But it does have an occasional squeak from the headlining behind me which can be an irritant.

·
Registered
32,719 Posts

·
Registered
37,284 Posts
I think Cars in general are built as disposable things to be sold on cheap finance deals or PCP to keep new ones flying out of showrooms.

It is bad for the environment but good for shareholders.

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s a good point you make, Symon. At the same time manufacturers are waving their environmental halos, they’re running over themselves to get us to buy a new car every three years.

·
Registered
37,284 Posts
It must be far more environmentally friendly to keep an older car running than use more resources to make a new one. Even if the new one does make slightly less pollution over it's (shorter?) lifetime.

The same goes for other products such as washing machines etc. They used to be expensive to buy but well built and repairable. They are now built cheaply and and simply replaced when the fail.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
My baby CLA is averagely average. Like any regular new car with no sporting aspirations it is decidedly average. That said as a tool from A to B it is quite good. Ride is a little firm but on a B road on bends it would stay behind my 360 even with an average driver as I am.
Last night I played around with it in Sport mode. Now whilst the engine note is harsh it really does seem to get a move on.
1.6 petrol turbo with a mere 156bhp and 7 speed DCT (I do think a dual clutch is a compromise of manual vs slush box). 0- 60 (if that's your thing) about 7.6. It would walk all over my previous 2004 CLK (which was a squishy squashy cushion) and my 159 2.4 before it (I said mine not somebody else's 2.4 so don't get upset) and in a straight line my GT. I do concede Alfa GT's are damn good driver cars, even with the hateful (me, just me, don't panic) 1.9 Clatterbox. I'm not sure on bends whether the CLA is better, but as good.

I have no intention of buying it after my PCP has finished. 3 or 4 years with the same daily average car is enough. My plan currently is a Model 3. I have been in one and it is better than my CLA in every way. The CLA as already mentioned has a **** engine note, In fact in can be described as the fingers nails on a chalk board noise.

The fit an finish IMO is good. There are some hard plastics but it's a £26k car which compared to the Giulia (which I could not afford) I think is good. There is an annoying buzz at times on certain road surfaces from the centre console but putting the rather good sound system on obliterates that and the **** engine note.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
In the 80's my last BMW was an E30 320i, then a W230 Merc, both of which were solid quality cars and I still have fond memories of the E30. Today my brother is the Merc fan, he has a C class convertible (with a tractor engine:rolleyes:) and before that an E class convertible. However good or bad the engineering is I find that along with all the German brands these days there is a need by the manufactures to try to impress the buyer with a very blingy dashboards and what seems to be like switches to switch on switches.

·
Registered
13,212 Posts
My baby CLA is averagely average. Like any regular new car with no sporting aspirations it is decidedly average.
Nice looking motor.. :)

I was speculating over one (which is not anything that's going to make me go blind) a while ago as part of my regular "What if my car died terminally tomorrow" contingency/fantasy....

And Baby S. is getting bigger now, so my temporary Stilo (temporary while I fix my 145... :cry: ..which was temporary while I fix my 155:eek: ) won't be big enough forever.

In the end it looked like not much bigger (possibly smaller) inside than my trusty old Fiat... so I'd more likely go for a C or even the (tax)E-class.

Then I decided that a Merc' wouldn't really be my sort of thing.. If I can't get into a Giulia, it'll have to be a Jag. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Ralf, thankyou. I think the banana shape is Marmite :-D but I happen to rather like Marmite.

You are not the only one to say it feels small inside. It's all black with some bright brushed steel trim to lift it a bit, but with the black headlining it makes it feel smaller than it is. However I am not going to pretend it is big inside.

The rear is cramped. Colleague's Model 3 is colossal inside in comparison.

For similar money I could have had a nearly new Giulia. May have been the better choice but I do prefer the dual clutch to the ZF in the Giulia. I just do. Anyway I fancied a new car so this was it. I did look at a Giulietta but can't get my head around how it looks.

Not sure I will buy brand new again unless Mercedes tempt me. I do feel nearly new next time but it will need to be hybrid or electric. I concede that most new regular ICE cars don't actually sound good at all so I might as well go thrifty with electric o_O

·
Premium Member
45,204 Posts
In the 80's my last BMW was an E30 320i, then a W230 Merc, both of which were solid quality cars and I still have fond memories of the E30. Today my brother is the Merc fan, he has a C class convertible (with a tractor engine:rolleyes:) and before that an E class convertible. However good or bad the engineering is I find that along with all the German brands these days there is a need by the manufactures to try to impress the buyer with a very blingy dashboards and what seems to be like switches to switch on switches.
I'm seriously contemplating another E30, loved my old Touring and then the white Coupe I had after, should have kept that one longer but had to go to fund setting up the business.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts