Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my friends warned me about buying an alfa selespeed, so being a stubborn old bugger I bought one...

Driving a few days ago about 80 mile trip each way, it did what I had read about on the internet... it didn't selected neutral as I slowed and I nearly shunted the car in front as it kangaroo hopped towards it... bloody terrifying!

OK, I thought, stay calm, turn off and on, select 1st... er, no it won't go into 1st, or any gear come to that... not great when you now have a huge tailback behind you at major intersection

Eventually it went into gear and catapulted off, at least I made it to my destination

Driving home things got much worse, 1st and 3rd gear dropping out of the equation, getting stuck in 4th

I got home somehow in a nervous sweat

I have checked the selespeed reservoir religiously and topped in accordance with instructions

I am sure you may have encountered similar selespeed problems... any rough prognosis of the problem and what might need to be done... and what that might cost???

I live in Surrey UK close to Kinsgton, so if anybody knows a good selespped wizard that would be really good to hear about

Appreciate your esteemed alfa knowledge

Lovely car when it works, please try and help keep me an alfa fan!

(BTW... I've had the car about 17 months, always serviced by my local alfa independant - Thorobred Cars at Laleham, they do not have enough ss experience to help with this problem - I've had a few jittery selespeed glitches, but nothing like this before)

·
Registered
396 Posts
you could have a read of the link at the top of the page "selespeed info" thats quite good. Other than that i think you need David C on the case

V

·
0 Posts
You say you have topped up your SS reservoir religiously. How much topping up has it needed? Has it always needed topping up? Have your problems coincided with needing to top up the reservoir? Unless there is a problem, the reservoir shouldn't really need topping up AKAIK.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ihad a very similar incident in my previous car (a 156 Sele) and the Alfa dealer traced it back to the main Selespeed ECU which they replaced under warranty.

It still had problems later on though with not wanting to select fourth gear sometimes:rolleyes:

The SS reservoir should not need topping up that much ( mine never did...only did it twice whilst I had the car in fact) so maybe there is a leak somewhere?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the valued replies. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention a specific garage but here goes, my local alfa independent Deens of Hampton Court, ('Deeno' the owner has some very nice Alfa technician certificates on his wall) collected the car within 2 hours, fitted a new selespeed pump and did a great job all round. The selespeed is working better than it ever has, so it seems the pump was the culprit. We love the alfa and thanks again to you lot!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Its at the top of this forum (ie the 147, 156 & 159 forum).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts