Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone, am completely new to the forum (this being my first post)

I am looking to upgrade to a Giulietta, 2.0 JTDm Veloce 170bhp version.

I currently drive a 1.8 TDCi Focus, and get a good 470 miles to a tank, usually around 500.

I do however have a few questions (please bear with me if they are silly):

1. Fuel economy (60.1 combined?) How true is this, as it is a lot of money to spend on a car and I want to make sure I definitely made the right choice

2. Optional extras - I am looking to purchase second hand rather than new, obviously the standard Veloce specification has a certain amount on it already, I would be looking at the 18" alloys like on the Cloverleaf, Red brake calipers, and the oversized exhaust option? (Purely because it's look absolutely astonishing) My question is would an Alfa dealer install these if I took the car and said "I would like such and such adding to the vehicle"???

3. Trip computer and technical stuff - Obviously there is a trip computer, does this have specific displays i.e Instant consumption, average consumption, range to empty. That sort of thing as parents have an Astra VXR that has all this.

4. Stop/Start - How does it work exactly? Never had a car with this before, same with Cruise Control (although I have used CC in a friends car).

Well I think that covers everything, apologies for the essay, but I am currently saving and want to make sure I make the right choice :)

Regards
MG3091

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Probably the Giulietta won't be practical enough for you. Better find another car if you don't want to be dissapointed.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
@radosauf - that's hardly fair to a new member: it's a legitimate question, and your beef was with a completely different person anyway.

@MG3091,

Here's the long-running thread on Giulietta consumption http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/257325-best-and-worst-mpg-in-1-4ma-and-2-0jtdm.html

The 2.0 is one of my options too (but with TCT, and the "when" part will be very much dependent on builders' quotes :( ).

If you want out-and-out economy, go for the 1.6 diesel- it has a lot of torque, and you won't miss the extra power unless you're regularly driving with the needle on the illegal side of the dial. There are also two versions of the 2.0 diesel: one with 140bhp, and the other with 170. The 140 gets better mileage.

The best way to use the quoted figures is to compare their ratios. You already know what mileage your Focus gives you, and the quoted figure for the Focus you've got is around 55.8 mpg. Giulietta's 170 CV engine is 60.1, so I'd imagine you'll get a little bit more per tank on the Giulietta... providing you drive it in "N" mode.

Drive it all the time in "D" mode, and you can expect that figure to drop dramatically. (A lot of the people complaining about how bad the consumption is are driving it nearly all the time in D mode -- you can't have your cake and eat it).

The cruise control can save fuel on long journeys if you allow it to (set it at the speed limit), because you'll do less accelerator work.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
1 see fuelly.com for real life drivers.
Guiliettas drivers are getting about 44mpg from their rides (I did, over nearly 20k miles). Every one of those miles put a smile on their face and made them feel good about driving
Compared to the 2.0TDi Ford Focus drivers, if you like, they only got 35-38mpg and, from looking at them, are mostly seriously depressed about their drives every day...
Manufacturer mpg numbers are universally an artificial construct of perfect test routes, with perfect drivers, with perfect conditions, perfect tyres, no loads and (we suspect) 'tweeked' ECU settings. BMW numbers are totally made up, by the way, as are most of Audi's numbers. Seriously, don't believe any of them, but use magazine tests or Fuelly instead.

2 - options
I tried that. I got one option fitted for me. (5 hole teledials). I then spent 4 months searching, and left my number at pretty well every garage in the UK with the spec I wanted. When it came in, it was white, not black, but I bought it anyway.
The red brakes are a must. The alloys lovely, and can be had aftermarket. Specify those in your search. No one will have the 'non factory exhaust' on a second hand unit for a few years yet. IMHO, just get the standard twin pipe (it is lovely to look at) and - if you really really must - get some stainless add on 'fat ends' from a local Halfords and leave the rest of the pipework alone.

3 - driver display
All of those are standard, and more. They are mostly just distracting. My 170 JTDm was about 3mpg pessimistic in the fuel economy displayed.
There are lots of ways to display media and phone information as well, if you can bear to use Blue&Me
So is a wonderful turbo boost gauge in "D" mode
Get the built in Nav unit and you can get 3D 'G-force' read outs as well

4 - Stop and Start is default "ON". Can be switched off on the lovely dash board
It needs near perfect battery, low current drain from anything else (heaters, fans, wipers, windows, aircon, audio, doors shut, driver has not left driver seat, etc), freshly regenerated DPF and about a zillion other things to work well. I mostly drove A roads with short town sections. It was brilliant, but my passengers always thought I had stalled.
Brake > Clutch > Neutral > Handbrake > Off the Pedals = Engine stops silently.
Clutch in (still in neutral, still on handbrake) => engine restarts perfectly
It always restarted before I had the car in gear.
Good thing, definitely saved some fuel.

The G is a great car. But it is not a Ford. And a 2.0 170JTDm2 engine in a light car is basically there as a challenge to the 2009/10 BMW 120d / 320d, which challenge it rises to admirably at real road speeds of 30-80mph .... 8-D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Good thing, definitely saved some fuel.
I guess this is yet to be verified after knowing how long will the engine and other stressed components last.

@KrisW: somebody stepping from the Focus will be dissapointed by:
a/ MPG (many threads about it here)
b/ build quality (many threads as well)
c/ headroom in the back
d/ small rear door
e/ small boot
f/ highly placed rear hatch bottom (it's not in English probably, but don't know how to write it correctly)
g/ visibility to the back
h/ lack of decent cupholders (this should bprobably be under point b/)

And I suppose many many more...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi there everyone, am completely new to the forum (this being my first post)

I am looking to upgrade to a Giulietta, 2.0 JTDm Veloce 170bhp version.

I currently drive a 1.8 TDCi Focus, and get a good 470 miles to a tank, usually around 500.

I do however have a few questions (please bear with me if they are silly):

1. Fuel economy (60.1 combined?) How true is this, as it is a lot of money to spend on a car and I want to make sure I definitely made the right choice

2. Optional extras - I am looking to purchase second hand rather than new, obviously the standard Veloce specification has a certain amount on it already, I would be looking at the 18" alloys like on the Cloverleaf, Red brake calipers, and the oversized exhaust option? (Purely because it's look absolutely astonishing) My question is would an Alfa dealer install these if I took the car and said "I would like such and such adding to the vehicle"???

3. Trip computer and technical stuff - Obviously there is a trip computer, does this have specific displays i.e Instant consumption, average consumption, range to empty. That sort of thing as parents have an Astra VXR that has all this.

4. Stop/Start - How does it work exactly? Never had a car with this before, same with Cruise Control (although I have used CC in a friends car).

Well I think that covers everything, apologies for the essay, but I am currently saving and want to make sure I make the right choice :)

Regards
MG3091
1. You will probably never acheive that, ive had my 170 Jtdm for 2 weeks now and its getting mid 40s, pretty good with the amount of performance you get. You will be looking at 500+ on a long journey for a tank however. The problem is that the G is so fun you cant help but floor it!

2. It looks like a lot of used veloces have had the option of larger wheels selected so you it shouldnt be too hard to find a one already, the red brake calipers are actually brembo upgrades and are factory fit, the dealer can retrofit them but at a huge cost so its highly unlikely, the oversized exhausts are an accessiory that are dealer fit but its still unlikely they would fit them for free, its worth finding a car with the bigger brakes and wheels and then just have the exhausts fitted.

3. Yep displays all the information you need.

4. You pull up in first put it in neutral, lift the clutch and the car cuts out , press the clutch down and it kicks back in, works on my way to work every morning once warmed up, it works really well and there is something quite relaxing when the engine cuts out in traffic :)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies guys, I do around a 40 mile round trip everyday to work, and unfortunately the missus lives a bit of distance so a few long journeys are required, I can understand people's points in saying around 45mpg is roughly what they are getting with their G's, but my question is:- Do you drive in D, or N, and like an old person aha, as I like my mpg so I like to think of myself as a careful driver.

If an Alfa garage can't fit anything i'm sure it's possible to purchase things like the wheels and fit them myself? (Or Dad as he's the mechanic out the two of us)

Paul: Thanks for the info regarding the oversized exhaust option, the insurance I shouldn't think would mind as I can say it was an optional extra. However, insurance isn't really an issue, only thing that is, is I'm pretty damn positive I want a G as they are stunning to look at, followed one for the last 5 miles on my way home last night and I just couldn't stop staring =O

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
radosauf said:
@KrisW: somebody stepping from the Focus will be dissapointed by:
a/ MPG (many threads about it here)
b/ build quality (many threads as well)
c/ headroom in the back
d/ small rear door
e/ small boot
f/ highly placed rear hatch bottom (it's not in English probably, but don't know how to write it correctly)
g/ visibility to the back
h/ lack of decent cupholders (this should bprobably be under point b/)
a/ Real MPG appears to be similar for the larger diesels, and Giulietta may be more efficient.
b/ Ford might use higher quality materials, maybe, but build quality is not better. Giulietta is very well built - among the best.

On everything else, you are right. But who needs cupholders anyway... :)

In most other European markets the Focus is regarded as a competent, but dull family car, like a Golf or an Astra. In the UK, though, the Ford Focus is considered to be a "sporty" hatchback car and a class-leader in handling and dynamics. One of the world's great mysteries, but it does mean the Giulietta and Focus will be on the same shopping lists...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a/ Real MPG appears to be similar for the larger diesels, and Giulietta may be more efficient.
b/ Ford might use higher quality materials, maybe, but build quality is not better. Giulietta is very well built - among the best.

On everything else, you are right. But who needs cupholders anyway... :)
I'm assuming you mean similar for the 2.0 140-170bhp models? I decided on a G because of the way it looks and it's quoted mpg figures. Yeah my focus is relatively well equipped, I just wanna get something quicker and possibly a bit more economical ;)

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
It's got 2 cupholders and a wine non-alcoholic beverage rack in the glovebox.

Mine (2.0D 170 Veloce) gets driven in D most of the time, and what you will notice compared to a 1.8 Focus is performance and handling. I have the standard 17" wheels on it with Continental tyres - no issues with road noise, and given the state of the roads where I live, no issue with damaged alloys yet. There are a few on here who have commented on the 18" Pirellis as being quite noisy.

It's my second Alfa, and I love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's got 2 cupholders and a wine non-alcoholic beverage rack in the glovebox.

Mine (2.0D 170 Veloce) gets driven in D most of the time, and what you will notice compared to a 1.8 Focus is performance and handling. I have the standard 17" wheels on it with Continental tyres - no issues with road noise, and given the state of the roads where I live, no issue with damaged alloys yet. There are a few on here who have commented on the 18" Pirellis as being quite noisy.

It's my second Alfa, and I love it.
Would you be able to pm me with some pictures sometime? I've been and looked at one but not test driven one as of yet

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys, I do around a 40 mile round trip everyday to work, and unfortunately the missus lives a bit of distance so a few long journeys are required, I can understand people's points in saying around 45mpg is roughly what they are getting with their G's, but my question is:- Do you drive in D, or N, and like an old person aha, as I like my mpg so I like to think of myself as a careful driver.
I drive a mixture between D and N , I do have heavy right foot and still get mid 40s if you drive economical youll probably get more, its worth noting that the bigger wheels seem to knock a couple of MPG off compared to the standard 17's.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
oh, yep: JTD was on 18" 5 hole teledials, slightly noisy, but nothing the stereo would not cope with (and very dependent on road surface as to the amount of intrusive noise). Kept the pressure up, which definitely increased noise and economy, and have no comparative for economy versus 17" rims, sorry

probably 65%N: 35%D mode

1 - 15 of 15 Posts