Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I have owned a 1998 156TS for 4 years 90k form new in alfa red with sports pack and 16" wheels, and have just had problems with a back fire and poor cold starts , I have replaced the air mass meter and lamda sensor but it still runs like a bag of nails . It has a K & N Style induction filter as opposed to the standard air box. When I now disconnect the air flow meter from the engine management the car flies but only does 16 MPG ! My local mechanic has suggested restoring back to the original air box , my question is are they the same for the 1.8 and 2.0 litre engines?, also worth mentioning before the pproblems started it seemed to run out of power at 95mph but with the air mass meter disconnected it seems to go much better , I think the induction kit was starved of air.
Any advise welcome
Nigel:confused: :cool: :cool:

·
Administrator
60,444 Posts
Hi Nigel, glad you joined up, sorry to hear of your problems. If you post your q in the 156 tech lounge lots of people will see and help you out. Cheers:)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Where did you get the MAF from - it must still be a MAF problem if the problem goes away when you disconnect it. Some Ebay MAFs are very dodgy.

The induction kit probably isn't helping in other matters (when the engine is hot) but doesn't sound like the cause of the problem you are having here.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yes i would have thought there is a problem with the air to fuel ratio.

Check that the k and n is on tight and that its not damaged. If not back the standard airbox just so you no if it is that.

Cheers Gavin

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The oiled K&N is probably the cause of the MAF sensors failing too...

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Welcome! I've got one if those too ... only I've owner mine since new and have 110K+ on mine (Recaros or leather?)

Anyway, yes filter boxes are the same, but you don't need the resonator that goes in the wing area. Fit a GTA or V6 intake pipe. Finding a good 2nd hand box might be fun though as most have been damaged due to rusted screws.

Also, invest in AlfaDiag and a compatible ODB interface. It will pay for itself in no time.

Oh and we want pics .... ;)

F

·
0 Posts
Hi !

nice to know i`m not the only one with a R reg , prototype !

apart from that statement , there is nothing i can add exect put the standard air box and see if the problem goes away.

"R reg we where the first!"

·
Registered
524 Posts
Shouldnt matter what airfilter you run ecu will adjust fueling accordingly . As for the miss fire try checking plug leads n coilpacks for cracks, clean maf sensor and check for tightness of all clips on the induction pipe, temp gauge should read 90c.Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts