Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping you experts here at AO will be able to recognise this issue and give me a quick fix *Prays*

Well i bought a sexy black 156 built 09/2001. It has the selespeed box and after owning it for the past 2 days i think im starting to get the hang of driving it. However...

After driving in city mode the first day i found that when i stopped at traffic lights the car would remain in 1st gear after stopping but then it started to kick back to neutral almost immediately after stopping and would even kick back to neutral almost instantly after I re-engaged 1st gear if i did not accelerate away.

On the second day (at 6am when leaving for work) i placed something in the boot and then started the car. I noticed a flashing red light that i initially thought was the boot open light (later found out it is the selespeed light)
I could not engage any gear while this light was on. Upon leaving my home it drove ok until as i was about to pull up at another traffic light i noticed the red light flashing and the gear engaged was 5th gear. It locked in that gear and i had to brake heavily until the car stalled to avoid it driving me into the car in front of me waiting at the traffic light. This happened many times in different gears on my way to work.

I later checked the selespeed oil level and found it to be just under the MAX mark. The previous owner had left a trickle of CS Speed oil in the boot so i topped it up with that. On the drive home i didn not have the issue with the car being stuck in gear and stalling but i again had the issue with the car not staying in 1st after the car stopped. (this seemed to happen as the car warmed up) as the car did stay in 1st gear at the lights for the first half of the trip.

I have have read through many posts yesterday and today trying to find a similar problem but have so far been unable to.

I have D/L the fiatecuscan program but am still looking online to find which cable i need and where to get one from. (advice on this would be welcome too)

Appreciate your help.

Jake Lansky

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like you have a sticky accumulator or worn pump. FYI: If the selespeed light is blinking without sound, the pressure in the hydraulic circuit is too low. If it's beeping too, there's a signal problem with the sensors/electrovalves.

Try "OBD2 II KKL" on ebay. That cable worked for me. Diagnose the hydraulic pressure: the pump should start @<=45bar and prime up to 55bar, the priming should last for a few seconds and pressure should increase smoothly. Once @55 bar you should be able to perform 2-3 gear changes before the pump starts again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine needs regular topping up. Where is the accumulator? I would have thought the hydraulic system for the selespeed system is separate to the gearbox. How and where does the pipework enter the box?

Jason

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Mine needs regular topping up. Where is the accumulator?
It is the large bulb shape part on the actuator, which is on top of the gearbox.

I would have thought the hydraulic system for the selespeed system is separate to the gearbox. How and where does the pipework enter the box?
The hydraulics are separate from the gearbox, however there is a path from a chamber at the base of the actuator into the gearbox and when an internal seal fails in the actuator it often flows into that chamber and from there into the gearbox.

Simple way to check is to just remove the fill plug on the gearbox. If Selespeed fluid has been flowing into the gearbox you will usually see fluid flowing out of the fill hole. If all is well, nothing should flow out of the fill hole. Obviously you then refit the fill plug...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your answers so far guys.

Another new thing just happened !! I drove locally to the shops and sat the car there for a few hours. When i was about to leave i started the car and had to wait for the selespeed light to stop flashing before i could select 1st gear which it did. Once i went to accelerate it felt like a slipping clutch

Well the light is flashing without beeping so it is most likey the pressure. Can the accumulator be cleaned or adjusted or is it just something that must be replaced?

I have ordered this cable -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-409-1-KKL-VAG-COM-OBD-2-II-VW-AUDI-SKODA-SEAT-Cable-OZ-LOCAL-/120838136725?pt=AU_Components&hash=item1c2283a395

And i have found a nice bloke that supplies reconditioned pumps for $400 AUD ausalfa.com • View topic - FS - Alfa Romeo 156/147/GT Selespeed Pump

I will have a crack at installing or working on whatever i can myself to keep the costs down so any picture links of "how to" would be great (if anyone has some)
This is my only car so whatever i do i have to have it going again to get around daily.

I feel like this will be such a wonderful car once the selespeed is all working properly but it is really killing the novelty of having a new car atm :(

You guys are great thaks again!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The hydraulics are separate from the gearbox, however there is a path from a chamber at the base of the actuator into the gearbox and when an internal seal fails in the actuator it often flows into that chamber and from there into the gearbox.
Is the seal between the two components just a simple copper or rubber washer? Or,as usual, its not as simple as that?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lansky: Im new to all this but Fiatecuscan will help you. It will show you the pump pressures plus you can run tests to make sure it is priming. Wait for that lead to come and try it before spending on a pump.

Jason

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Jason165.

I read that i should hear the pump priming when i open the drivers door. I never have heard any such thing.

Also i read that i can test to see if it is the pump or not but i cant find that thread. Does anyone know that proceedure?

In fact while i am waiting for the cable to arrive (5-7days apparently) is there a list of checks i could perform myself to eliminate faulty parts?

I am at work now and will be here for the next 10 hours so i bought my tools. Might as well get paid to fix my own car lol
:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another question ~~~ Will it do any damage if i overfill the Selespeed with CS Speed oil ?

Also i neglected to mention after the slipping clutch sensation yesterday once i got home and turned off the car there was an orchestra of buzzing, whirling and pumping sounds coming from the engine. Upon inspecting it noise was coming from the selespeed oil filler and under it also from a relay sitting next to its twin on a metal plate on top of the air intake ( ithink its called) close to the Brake fluid resevoir and some voilent noise from the top of the gear box.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Another question ~~~ Will it do any damage if i overfill the Selespeed with CS Speed oil ?
No, it will just blow the excess fluid out via the breather pipe, which as std exits near the left front wheel.

...once i got home and turned off the car there was an orchestra of buzzing, whirling and pumping sounds coming from the engine. Upon inspecting it noise was coming from the selespeed oil filler and under it also from a relay sitting next to its twin on a metal plate on top of the air intake ( ithink its called) close to the Brake fluid resevoir and some voilent noise from the top of the gear box.
Could be a sticking relay.

I presume it stopped making the noise?

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Is there a way of checking if its leaking into either ?
Simple way to check is to just remove the fill plug on the gearbox. If Selespeed fluid has been flowing into the gearbox you will usually see fluid flowing out of the fill hole. If all is well, nothing should flow out of the fill hole. Obviously you then refit the fill plug...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes David i left the car to come and post on here and returned to find the noise stopped.

Do you think this is another issue or could these symptoms all be related to the relay?

Would it be the relay that i heard freaking out?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I suspect the relay ! but read out the sele log first, the audi cable will do if you use the
ftdi driver

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you rarebare. I read in another post that you sell cables? are they more specific to Alfa's? If so how can i pay you as i would like one.

Now this is going to be embarrasing as i am going to describe something -
I just turned the key to the reds and was looking around the engine bay for noises and found that one of the two relays on that silver metal gizzo that sits on the big fat tube that leads from the air filter box back to the engine was making like a shorting out sound. i played with the metal cradle that holds it in place and as i was able to lever the cradle (for lack of a better word) over the relay the thermo fan came on. Now should i replace that relay? as it was making noise after the car was turned off yesterday (after the slipping clutch incident)

I know i should be waiting for the cable to arrive before doing anything but driving to and from work each day is so hard with the gears locking and then waiting at traffic lights for the selespeed to engage while people are honking their horns and yelling abuse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmm scratch that last post ( well the part about that relay) I just opened the cradle all the way to find it is not a relay at all but a plug that the sound is coming from.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts