Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is it me or did last update come about 2 months ago? I thought they update every 4 months. Oh well, have to plan a new trip soon :rofl:

Size this update is 8.5GB for me.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it me or did last update come about 2 months ago? I thought they update every 4 months. Oh well, have to plan a new trip soon :rofl:

Size this update is 8.5GB for me.
It's 4 times a year, or every 3 months ;)
Maps are 10.6 GB this time, as stated

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weird, i just downloaded it and it was 8.5GB.

Edit: do you maybe have 8.8 screen? File name is MAP00272.bin
yes, I have 8.8.
If you have the smaller screen, then maybe they actualy take that into account with more compact graphics/less pixels for the maps ...
I have a MAP00274.bin

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,167 Posts
Can this be done using an iMac
I've done map updates several times satisfactorily using my MacBookPro.

However, formatting of the USB stick can be a problem. I keep a 16GB stick which is NTFS formatted specifically for these updates.

Andy

·
Registered
511 Posts
Can this be done using an iMac
To be clear, although MAC will read *from*, it will not write *to* NTFS, nor can it format a memory stick to NTFS.

On MAC, you must format your memory stick to MAC OS Extended (Journaled) and that will work just fine to transfer map to the car.

According to the Mopar map site, claimed map file size is 10.6 GB but on download, actual file size is 11.42 GB and appears to have max download speed of about 8 MB/s regardless of how fast your internet connection might be so you can expect download to take at least 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
To be clear, although MAC will read *from*, it will not write *to* NTFS, nor can it format a memory stick to NTFS.

On MAC, you must format your memory stick to MAC OS Extended (Journaled) and that will work just fine to transfer map to the car.

According to the Mopar map site, claimed map file size is 10.6 GB but on download, actual file size is 11.42 GB and appears to have max download speed of about 8 MB/s regardless of how fast your internet connection might be so you can expect download to take at least 20 minutes.
Apologies, I can only write to NTFS because I have Parallels Desktop on my Mac.

Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

Does the map update disappear from the Site once you have downloaded it?

Only ask because I logged in on another PC to do the download and the site tells me there are no downloads available!

Seacourt.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not here and preventing redownloads doesnt make sense since license is tied to VIN anyway.

But i see that it says that i last downloaded map from 2018 April which is not true because i downloaded every update.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Not here and preventing redownloads doesnt make sense since license is tied to VIN anyway.

But i see that it says that i last downloaded map from 2018 April which is not true because i downloaded every update.
Same for me, it says last map I downloaded was that of December 2017 despite me having downloaded most, if not all, since then including the one released this week.

Andy

·
Registered
161 Posts
appears to have max download speed of about 8 MB/s regardless ...
The limit of 8MB/s is just throttling (either by server or isp). First 0.5GB flew by, but then slowed down. If I pause and resume, it goes full speed again.
And further on it was speeding up and slowing down on it's own

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for the info-loaded it in one hour and eighteen minutes on a trip to/from end of M65 at Colne.
On my homeward westerly return, a small Peugeot was stuffed into the steep eastbound downhill section central barrier.The lady driver out safely but trapped in between the two barriers. Blue lights quickly in opposing direction. It always pops into my mind how NCAP safe my Alfas are in these situations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Took about 40 mins to dl. How long can I expect it to take to install? the drive to work is likely to be 45 ish.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pre 2018 models take around 45 minutes. Newer ones much faster, half of that or something like that.
It's always taken an hour and 20 mins for me. I have to plan a journey carefully to get this completed. You can break the update, but not for long - certainly not to /from work commute.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's always taken an hour and 20 mins for me. I have to plan a journey carefully to get this completed. You can break the update, but not for long - certainly not to /from work commute.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
same for me, with the "old" infotainment.

On a 2017 model car with the "old" infotainment system, the map update takes approx 75 minutes.... The time the system gives when starting the update is hugely exaggerated

The newer systems are quicker, they apparently take around 30 - 45 minutes for the map update....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts