Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is officially still a concept, but there are a lot of foto's to be found here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49988

V8 power under the bonnet, RWD, Carbon roof... Great ! :cool:
Drivers car, not for the family shopping at IKEA :)

Not so nice: the fast 'n furious bonnet (tupperware look IMO), mirrors and it's weight. Personally I prefer the 4 door model (design wise), but the M3 as it looks now will only be a coupe; pity :(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I am honestly not sure. From certain angles it looks a bit too much like an M5 and I think the E46 M3 ( especially the CSL) still looks a bit more purposfull.

The bonnet, as you say, looks overdone but the spec sounds nice:)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I don't like the look, to me at least its a bit of mish mash - its functional enough but way less cohesive than the E46 M3.
I'm sure it would look bettter in the flesh, and even better again in my drive :lol:

Defintely less ugly than the base saloon at least.

..I wouldn't be buying it for its looks anyway so that wouldn't put me off too much if it drove better than the E46 (which was a high standard already).

TB

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Sorry, but I'd prefer to walk than own a BMW :(

B

·
0 Posts
@Gary "Sorry, but I'd prefer to walk than own a BMW"

I'll second that. It's blind prejudice but they'd have to come up with something absolutely spectacular for me to see them as anything other than M1 fast-lane repmobiles...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't like the look, to me at least its a bit of mish mash - its functional enough but way less cohesive than the E46 M3.
I'm sure it would look bettter in the flesh, and even better again in my drive :lol:

Defintely less ugly than the base saloon at least.....
:lol:

To my opinion, you don't buy a BMW for it's looks... but as driving machines they're pretty good. And: I fit in them;TVR's are some of my ultimate cars (the way I like a car): purely and entirely for driving. Only problem: I do not fit in them. Did a test ride with a Sagaris, but it's simply way to small :(
The an M3 is a nice (and more practical) alternative !

Interesting, and good, that opinion's vary: I think the saloon looks much better :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Looks pretty minging, but I say that about nearly every newly released BMW I've seen, 6 months down the line I'll want one :lol:

Even found myself Admiring a 650 in the dealership the other day, the one that looks like it has a boot from another car entirely.

suprised you can't fit in a TVR even I can fit in one of those though admittedly the Z4M Coupe was much more natural.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Looks pretty minging, but I say that about nearly every newly released BMW I've seen, 6 months down the line I'll want one :lol:
:lol: :lol: I am the same. I hated the M5 when I first saw it but now think it is amazing looking car with so much road presence.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not too impressed with the lines either, it is not cohesive. It looks too fat, heavy and over boiled somehow. Straight from the side the front looks squashed over the front wheels and the grille is too tilted backwards.

The interior is plain ugly (as usual from BMW), but it´s probably a decent+ driver´s car :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That's one fugly car, but no doubt the loudvoice shouty shortarse cocky bas***d gobsh**e brigade will buy them in their thousands. And they're welcome to them, it all helps to keep undesirables out of Alfa Romeos :D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Looks very dedicated to speed, thanks to marked straight angles, so the dynamic effect is good; yet the straights are not in excess; also the proportions of the bonnet with the windshield compared to the rest of the car lets you guess a pretty big engine, it's very much to the point. To me it looks like a coherent package, made to look very muscular. :cool:

But certain angles on the lights, and the whole back in fact, remind me too much of Lexus!!! :eek: Who would have thought... :tut:

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
... but as driving machines they're pretty good.
The current M3 is actually already too good for the public road. You need to disobey the speed limits big time before the car is exciting. This means the entertainment factor is only there when you are either on a circuit or misbehaving badly (and not driving license worthy) on a public road.

So BMW M3: No thank you!

(apart from the fact that I find all Chris Bangle creations at BMW very ugly)

If had BMW M3 money to spend on a car, I would either buy a Lotus Elise 111R or a secondhand Maserati.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The current M3 is actually already too good for the public road. You need to disobey the speed limits big time before the car is exciting. This means the entertainment factor is only there when you are either on a circuit or misbehaving badly (and not driving license worthy) on a public road.

So BMW M3: No thank you!

(apart from the fact that I find all Chris Bangle creations at BMW very ugly)

If had BMW M3 money to spend on a car, I would either buy a Lotus Elise 111R or a secondhand Maserati.
Drifting round-about's is quite fun too ;) But you have a good point: you need to be driving fast to use it's potential (faster then legal on a public road indeed). Does that matter ? Depends on personal opinion. How entertaining is driving according to the (speed limit) rules at all anyway (in any car) :rolleyes: In my opinion better to have a car to enable you to be a hooligan every now and then, and take a lot of track-days obviously !

Problem with the Lotus is: you need to fit. Maserati's are very nice (IMO) on the looks side. For trackdays not very suited, as they are guaranteed to brake down (unless the budget is very high (much higher then buying an M3) and you can buy their semi-racer (which is fragile too)).

@Sandys: my head goes through the roof in a TVR, Lotus etc. (have tried them all) unforunately :( Otherwise I would have had my first Brit car long time ago :cool:
I love cars' that are pure, no electronic aids (as then the car drives fast, not you (like in Mitsubishi EVO's etc.) which is very boring), direct steering, mechanical (no electronic diffs), crisp throttle response, high-revving engines and: very light !
TVR's add some serious sound to it too, which is why I'd go for them (if I would fit)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts