Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know and i'm sorry i bet everybody asks this, I have searched the forum first

Ive just bought a 156 2.0 jts 04 reg and we absolutly love it(as you may of guessed in my newbie/intro thread)

I only got one key with the car ,the previous owner said he'd only receieved it with 1 key and didnt get that card thingymigig that ur surpose to get with the car from new

so how do i get a spare key? and how much? ive noticed theres a few keys on ebay but theyre all cut for other cars I really need a working key as theres two of us drive it

I'm not bothered if its gonna cost 70-80quid as the car was a bargin so dont mind taking it to a dealer

any response will be gratefully appreciated

ta!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It would have come with two identical keys (both remote) when new.

UK dealers didn't give out the code cards.

Visit your local main dealer parts dept and order a new key and code card.

Not cheap, but it is the simplest and best way to do it.

It WILL be more than £80.
Probably close to £200 by the time they have programmed it into the car.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
mmm thanks for the reply

200 quid is a bit steep lol
Hopefully you took that into account when you purchased a car with only one key...!

Don't leave it until it is too late.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you lose that only key then I believe its a complete new set of locks

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
No its not, you can get new key from the factory. How you get the car to the dealer for programming is another matter though!

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Had a similar issue this weekend.

Bought mine with one ley, but had the Code Card in the handbook wallet.

Took it to a Auto Locksmiths they plugged in the diagnostic/coding unit and fouind out the code doesn't work for my car.

Oddly enough the card also has a mechanical code, which is the way the actual key must be cut, this does match the physical profile of the key for the door/boot/ignition.

That means that half the infomation on the card is correct, the other half is not. Perhaps at some point the car's had a new alarm/immobiliser ECU and keys coded to it.

So, how do I get a new key for the car? Who will know the ECU codes?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The dealer can order you a key from the chassis number. Then the dealer must code both keys at the same time - if you dont code both keys together then one key will work and the other is scrap......i know because the dealer did this to my car by mistake and had to order another key free of charge.

Therefore the previous owner can not use a lost key to start your car.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was in the same position, it cost £181.47 inc VAT from the local dealer a couple of weeks ago (for the key and reprogramming.)

Something you have to get done though...I spent 18 months nervous as hell whenever we were parked near a grid.:lol:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I say this every time, just take it to the dealer and get it done. In the time you spend debating what to do, your other key will fail or get lost. Just swallow the cost and get it done.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
cost me well over £200, cant rember exact costs now but I forked up for 2 keys as the one key I got died while the keys were waiting for me at the dealer!
*only the fob buttons died, not the immobiliser or what-not

**my uncle lost his one key for his saab and insurance towed it to dealer and covered cost of 2 keys, and new ECU. all in £2000...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts