Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just seen the new Jag' advert, and I must say, I was really impressed. :)

As we all know, Jag' have this 'old-man' image, but the new advert really seemed to address this issue, portraying the Jag' as a car for the young, successful professional. :D

If only Alfa would address this misperception of their cars being unreliable :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
which Jag was it?

I quite liked the new XK (coupe) advert, kinda represented soul, presance and elagence to the car, still wouldn't buy one though, i still prefere the old XKR TBH.

I think of Jag as being an upmarket Ford nowadays (using cheap Ford parts to cut costs etc)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It showed all off them (I think), certainly the XK and a saloon or two :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,213 Posts
did it - and i need to take a deep breath and tell myself i'm not going to explode with rage when i say this - mention the word (here goes...) 'gorgeous'?

g

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Anyone remember the proposed 'F' type that almost went into production. Since the original 'E' have struggled to relate to Jaguars, suppose they are Fords, as are A.M's. now, shame!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did it - and i need to take a deep breath and tell myself i'm not going to explode with rage when i say this - mention the word (here goes...) 'gorgeous'?

g
Erm, there may have been one or two references to it :D

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,213 Posts
Erm, there may have been one or two references to it :D
uh oh. I need to replace my kitchen window. :D

seriously though Gary, did it really?

I fec5king loathed those gorgeous ads. They were so not gorgeous. "tell them Jags will make them gorgeous coz they're so stupid and insecure that they'd believe it." I don't know whether that patronises Jag buyers, or is a tragic reflection on the shallow stupidity of those marketing morons who think that mere mortals are so emotionally insecure that they cannot exist without the support of a 'brand' like 'Jaguar'.

For me, those adverts added an extra thick layer of mediocrity to a car maker that I think lost the plot years ago; a mediocre manufacturer, now promoted via a profoundly offensive and intelligence-insulting advertising campaign. See the 'proud' Jaguar lick what's left at the bottom of the barrel...

g

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree the old Gorgeous advert was a bit pants, but I really like the new one. It does mention 'Gorgeous' - its flashes up on the screen a couple of times, but the advert itself really is quite good. Jag' have really made an attempt to address the 'old-man' image one normally associates with them...wait until you see it and then let me know what you think :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Space, Pace, and Grace, forward the Brits. Two MK 2 Jaguars, (Full sized motifs) on polished wooden bases, decorative book ends of a lamented by-gone era. Ah!..........

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,213 Posts
i don't think 'old man' when i think Jag (and even if i did, what's wrong with that demographic?) I think:

- sixties gangster car
- complete failure on every level, forty years hence

why can't Jag play to its strengths via its products rather than some ropey advertising? Jag is typical of the spineless, directionless car company that chases BMW when it can't even come close to matching them, and in doing so bins the few good assets it has.

Great - that's some achievement guys...

g

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Remember the original Beemer's, only the Polizie had them when the Beatles played the Star club. Running alongside the Borgward Isabellas. See, they did stop production of quite a number of their marques.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,213 Posts
i'm not sure I understand the point you're making, Zulu? Never mind where BMW was 40 years ago. Look where it is now. And then do the same for Jaguar...

g

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Exactly Scud, we lost it big time. Don't think we'll ever regain it either.Which makes me really appreciate having the odd drive in her modern Italian when she allows it, Nuff' said.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know, I think Jaguar can turn things around, particularly as BMW are so common knowadays...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,213 Posts
what's interesting Zulu, is that when the 166 was launched, Evo did a round up review with the 166, the BMW 5-something and the Jag S-Type. I don't think the Alfa won, (neither did the Jag) but of the Alfa they said words to the effect of: "the Jag fails because it tries to be a Jag version of a BMW, and it nowhere near as good, where as the lovely 166 is so desirable because it's just happy being an Alfa Romeo - albeit a big one - rather than trying to be a BMW".

For any volume manufacturer that wants to beat BMW's sales, let that be a lesson....

"when wealth is lost; nothing is lost. When health is lost, half is lost; when character is lost...all is lost."

g

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Proverbs? Don't know many, only remember one my dear departed dad used to chuck at me, fairly regularly when I questioned his authority, went something like this, Young men think old men fools, Old men know young men are.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,213 Posts
I don't know, I think Jaguar can turn things around, particularly as BMW are so common knowadays...
Gary, I hope that they do - but I see nothing that makes me believe that they can.

Tell me, why can they not design a small car to rival the 3 series that's as gorgeous as the 156 was/is? Why can they not make a beautiful-looking saloon? Why could Alfa make a design master piece with the 156, and Jag couldn't? They both have a rich catalogue of beautiful cars, so (politics and Ford aside) how do they explain the trollops that are the X and S types?

g

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
In a nutshell Scud, they aren't Deutsch! They work at it, and work at it,until they get it right,or as close as possible. Was never more impressed than the time I worked for a while in a German Werkstadt? Everything had to be just so before the Meister O.K'd it. Hyper efficient. Allow me the spelling mistakes, please.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,213 Posts
i wasn't suggesting a german car was gorgeous, so i wasn't expecting german levels of quality. But jag tries to press the same emotive buttons as alfa...i want to understand why it fails to so do. A jag, like an alfa, is (meant to be) and 'emotive' buy - a BMW, Audi and Merc are technical buys. Jag does neither these days - not technical, or emotive. Chinless, yes; emotive, no.

g

1 - 20 of 25 Posts