Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a switched live, i can't find one with my multimeter???

I have a 1999 GTV.

Many thanks, David.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I'm a bit stuffed over this question.What head unit, what switched positive? Sorry to be a bit thick, (she say's I am, her with the green eyes at home.) But I'm intrigued, put me wise David.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there the switched live is normally red and permanent live is normally yellow, only had my alfa 5 days so not changed head unit yet, am switching over to my alpine on tuesday if you havent got it sorted by then I will post back and let you know for sure, providing my 156 is the same

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No worries and thanks for getting back to me!!!

I have an Alpine head Unit.

Ok - now in the power connector i have the following:-

Red - 12V + (Always on) -Main Power Lead.
Red Green - 0 (not earthed, but no voltage either?)
Blue and White - 12V+ (I think this is for the Electric Aerial?)
Black - Earth
Yellow - 12V + (For Illumination, goes live when lights are turned on)

I think the Red Green wire is somehow faulty. I think this should turn live with the ignition but it doesn't? Can't be a fuse becuase surely i would have no power to the radio connector block???

Trouble is i haven't seen the car with the OE headunit to see if it turned off with the ignition?

What do you think?

Thanks, David.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Ah! Thought you were referring to Hidaminium cylinder head units. ICE noise I presume. Sorry about the lack of current knowledge, I originate from Tropical Swamp days, when 'E' types had cork seals in the rear hubs packed with grease! Was still a great roadster, in a straight line, but Oh! that 'orrible torsion bar front suspension, and timing chains that rattled at 40K. Cheers, Z.F.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
David, you have really stirred 'me ole' brain a bit. Do Alfas have isolated earth return circuits? i.e. the earth return is off with the ignition? Those HND electronics guys out there are going to put me on the spit roast over this one!! C'mon guys and gals, sort me out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Gtv doesn't have a switched live, both live feeds are permanently live. Don't ask me why, maybe all Alfa drivers like to listen to the radio with the ignition turned off :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah ok, now do i learn to live with it or try and find a switched feed from something sensible (Cigarette Lighter)........

I don't like having to splice wiring in case i want to go back to original some day :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
nosbork said:
The Gtv doesn't have a switched live, both live feeds are permanently live. Don't ask me why, maybe all Alfa drivers like to listen to the radio with the ignition turned off :rolleyes:

Im glad you cleared that up nos .... thought id done something odd on installing my head unit ....... very unusual for a constant live on a car that age dont you think? I cant remember the last car i had like that ..... my old '76 vauxhall 'shuvvit' maybe :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi there from Slovenia.

In my country it's obligatory to use lights even at day, so I have 12V in illumination wire whenever I turn on the key. Figuring that out, I just switched pins in ISO connector and put orange wire in place of red/green wire and presto... switched live wire. Hope this helps, but I don't know if GTV came with auto on lights device from factory.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Alfa Spider, no we don't have the auto switch on the lights.

Anyway all sorted now, i opened the connector on the cigarette lighter and eased in a second wire (So no damage if i want to return to original spec!).

Ran the wire under the centre console and jobs a good'un!

Even wired in the illumination so the head unit dims when i switch the lights on (Damn its bright without it - very distracting at night).

Got my adapter plate installed, sprayed aluminium which matches a treat, happy days!

Only problem is now is the bass, my factory speakers distort quite easily, anyone know of any direct replacements?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts