Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I've recently brought my first Alfa Romeo, have wanted one for a while, beautiful cars!

Very pleased with the car so far, looking forward to a 400 miles drive this Saturday.

Just wanted to make this thread because of a few questions, thought it would be easier to have it all in one place.
I will be changing the car to a more personal taste over time; ie adding deflectors, caps, sill plates, and changing alloys.

It has just passed the 53k miles mark (62 plate), is there anything I should be aware of, wear and tear-wise, for example the cam belt, which I assume will need replacing at around 60k?
I haven't dived into the manual yet so forgive me if the answer is in there!

I know the oil requirement but which is the recommended product to use?

Is it worth doing a remap/chip? If yes, which are the recommended company / brand to use, or is there someone here with their own?

Any other recommendations in general?

Thanks in advance!
-Rossey

·
Registered
36,072 Posts
I'd get the belt done sooner rather than later. As you say, have a look in the book for oil info too.
Enjoy !

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
You can do a remap, but removing the fixed swirl flaps will make it respond better to remapping. On its own a remap will take it to about 140bhp, removing them further. There's a number that will do it, many on here, but it will depend what you want.

·
Registered
38,457 Posts
It would be worth checking the EGR cooler cover is either the later sort or that it has been replaced because it is likely to crack and make the car loose coolant.

The oil I use in mine is this one as it meets to correct spec.

Fuchs make very good oils and it isn't too expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181091466041?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I would definitely consider a remap as it will make the car really come alive. Don't worry about the extra strain on the transmission, as the transmission is basically the same as on the higher powered 2.0 models.

In the suspension department there is plenty of room for improvement. Better springs and dampers etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses guys.

I'd get the belt done sooner rather than later. As you say, have a look in the book for oil info too.
Enjoy !

Over 2k miles clocked on the G so far and have to say I am happy with the car despite the lack of power but the fuel economy makes up for it (appreciates it more when the previous car was only doing 30mpg on a 'sensible' drive!). Next time I'm going to my hometown, my mate will have a look over for me, will specifically bring up the belt.

You can do a remap, but removing the fixed swirl flaps will make it respond better to remapping. On its own a remap will take it to about 140bhp, removing them further. There's a number that will do it, many on here, but it will depend what you want.
Cheers for that tip Andy, I've forgotten about swirl flaps; will definitely remove those, not just for remapping purposes but for the safety of the engine.

It would be worth checking the EGR cooler cover is either the later sort or that it has been replaced because it is likely to crack and make the car loose coolant.

The oil I use in mine is this one as it meets to correct spec.

Fuchs make very good oils and it isn't too expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181091466041?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I would definitely consider a remap as it will make the car really come alive. Don't worry about the extra strain on the transmission, as the transmission is basically the same as on the higher powered 2.0 models.

In the suspension department there is plenty of room for improvement. Better springs and dampers etc.
I've gone for the same oil symon. How would one check if the EGR cooler cover is the later sort? Looking at the history, it doesn't seem that it has been replaced.
I will definitely give it a remap in the July/August along with new wheels hopefully; the lack of power is making me miss my supercharged Mini a tad more :(.
Something to think about for the future on springs.

Does remapping affect the entire DNA system to become single mode or would it have it own individual remap for each mode, or just one mode?

My in-car charger doesn't fit in the socket properly, it wobbles about, a lot, does not wobble in the work car. Do I have a faulty socket? Or would getting a shorter in-car charger like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M6Q83B4?psc=1 fix the problem? Can't see it hiding under the cigerette's lid though.

·
Registered
36,072 Posts
With your choice of new wheels , don't forget the larger(heavier) alloys take a bit more power to drive them. Performance and economy will suffer especially on the 1.6 and I don't know if it's that or marketing but 18" wheels are no longer optional on this engine....

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
With your choice of new wheels , don't forget the larger(heavier) alloys take a bit more power to drive them. Performance and economy will suffer especially on the 1.6 and I don't know if it's that or marketing but 18" wheels are no longer optional on this engine....
+1 on that. On a lower powered engine you'll really notice the difference it makes to performance & economy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts