Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new handbrake cable fitted on wednesday to get the 166 through its mot ,tonight the missus has gone into town come out of the supermarket and she said the car didn't feel as though there was any power ,got about 400 yards down the road parked up and the car then would hardly move .

When i got there the brake pedal was rock hard and the car would hardly move backwards or forwards ,do you think the new cable needs a bit of adjustment or would it surely have binded on the first journey.Or is it something else?

Also another concern is there was a strong smell of burning rubber in the engine bay ,would driving with the brakes increasingly binding wreck the drivebelts?

Ps after they had cooled down for an hour the car drove ok for half a mile and then was struggling again .

Cheers

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
sounds like the brakes are binding - sounds like they didn't wind back the caliper properly and then adjust it before hooking up the new cable....it's a picky setup and the calipers do get pretty sticky with age and a good strip and clean is the best bet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My handbrake has frozen on solid this morning and is refusing to let go ,Mine had new cables last year but the handbrake has frozen twice this winter and although it was -8 last night last winter it down to -14 and it didnt freeze so the cables must have got some moisture in from a fracture in the plastic coating.:(

·
Registered
45 Posts
I reckon it's one of those design faults that must allow water to get in somehow. I'm on my third set of cables now and always try to remember to leave the handbrake off and in gear when there is any suggestion of frost.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I reckon it's one of those design faults that must allow water to get in somehow. I'm on my third set of cables now and always try to remember to leave the handbrake off and in gear when there is any suggestion of frost.
Yeah and here in Finland it´s like 6 months out of 12 :lol:

I have heard that someone has used special kind of rubber grease in the cables
and that has helped during the winter.

If the cables get frozen, try to pull the handbrake several times (furiously) sometimes
the ice brakes and the cables loosen up.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
it's been said before by other and i'll say it again - use only genuine cables and make sure the calipers are not sticky/seized and you'll have a perfect handbrake. Don't see the point in not using the handbrake as it will just make the mechanism seize anyway....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since friday it seems to be ok but i've only tried on short journeys.
My main concern is the fact that Mrs H had been trying to drive it with the brakes jammed on and the belts were straining their b's off . I opened the bonnet when she got there and got her to try to reverse and the engine was nearly getting ripped off its mounts .
Just hoping there is no lasting belt damage ,too uneconomical to spend too much unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
One of my old 164s used to suffer this. Sure enough, cables gone tight coupled with mal-adjusted calipers and cables. Never tighten the slack before bedding the caliper properly, never change anything without winding the caliper piston back as well so it can properly adjust itself.

Once put some pattern cables on the 155. They lasted about a week before playing up. Never again with pattern parts like that.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts