Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...just got myself a 147 twin spark, 2.0. Needed a headgasket so i changed that no problems.

Now my problem is, the cambelt was taken of by the previous owner (I know the engine runs) I did everything i should have done, set crank to TDC with the notch on the crank pulley facing to the left, camshafts were lined up with previous garage timing marks (White tipex) All went together well no problem.

Now she wont start and i get a pop every now and with very bad engine lunching as she is trying to start!
She did start once and was running VERY bad, misfiring like hell.

Done a few timing belts but this one has me stumped! :confused:

Im thinking i may have done a school boy error?

Need a quick answer guys..Thankyou :)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
The timing needs to be set more accurately than that. You really need cam locks and a TDC gauge to do the job properly.

Sounds like the timing is well out...let's hope it's not that far out that the pistons and valves have made contact...

Camlocks : http://www.ebspares.co.uk/PNF/PNF.c..._tool/info.cfm&CFID=10016292&CFTOKEN=87349562
You need a couple of bolts for each one. M7x50 (possibly). Maybe 60mm? Can't remember!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive got a TDC gauge and a set off cam locking tool...Engine still turns over freely by hand so i dont think there has been any damage caused! Just thinking i dident set TDC on the compression stroke?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Ive got a TDC gauge and a set off cam locking tool...Engine still turns over freely by hand so i dont think there has been any damage caused! Just thinking i dident set TDC on the compression stroke?
The stroke doesn't matter....it sparks both times round!

How did you tension the belts? Have you checked the timing since tensioning?

Are you sure they were the right cam locks? JTS ones are different, for example...

EDIT: Other thought would be an air leak between the MAF and the throttle body.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went out to have a look at the timing marks, just noticed on the exhaust cam, there is a notch in the pulley face (Assuming factory timing mark) but its around 15 teeth to the left of the white tipex mark?

I used my friends camlocks, he used them when we did his 147, that was also a 2.0 twin spark.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I think I'd start by finding TDC again, and see how if the cam locks locks still fit.

I need to go now to get my transport home. I'll be on again later, by which time someone will have come up with the right answer :lol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
never done an alfa cam belt but the compression stroke is denoted by the cam shaft/shafts not the crank shaft so if you set the respective piston to tdc then that side has to be right. I would imagine that the tolerences for setting of the cam shafts are very small so setting up with tipex marks is not going to be accurate enough. I've seen these cam locks and they look like if the correct ones are used correctly then all should be good.

Again I leave myself wide open to be shot down in flames lol

Good luck chap

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey guys...just got myself a 147 twin spark, 2.0. Needed a headgasket so i changed that no problems.

Now my problem is, the cambelt was taken of by the previous owner (I know the engine runs) I did everything i should have done, set crank to TDC with the notch on the crank pulley facing to the left, camshafts were lined up with previous garage timing marks (White tipex) All went together well no problem.

Now she wont start and i get a pop every now and with very bad engine lunching as she is trying to start!
She did start once and was running VERY bad, misfiring like hell.

Done a few timing belts but this one has me stumped! :confused:

Im thinking i may have done a school boy error?

Need a quick answer guys..Thankyou :)
It does sound like the timing is well out.

as iainfm has said best to use correct timing tools, also best to do the camshaft variator since your belt is off

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the camlocks on the tipex marks line up...Strange one to be fair as everything is as it should be!

·
Registered
656 Posts
With the camlocks on the tipex marks line up...Strange one to be fair as everything is as it should be!
Forget the previous timing marks as you don't know if they are correct. However if your sure everything lines up properly, check all the sensors that you would have disconnected ie camshaft sensor, etc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mate is telling me the popping im hearing every now and again when cranking the engine over means its firing at the wrong time?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I wonder if you've damaged the sensor behind the exhaust cam-wheel. Easily done apparently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok...got everything off again..timing marks are good on crank and cams!

Whapped the spark plugs out and noticed they are full of really heavy thick black deposits of soot, First 3 are soaked in fuel from the cranking, but the 4th is bone dry.

Would this might have something todo with the no starting and popping sound?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Another suggestion! (Well two really). There is a very small earth lead that it is necessary to hook up; it is on the right hand side of the coil packs. Perhaps that is giving only intermittent earthing. One thing I've experienced problems with (on someone else's car) was that the multi-block connector to the throttle body had to be held in place very tightly. That caused severe problems when trying to get the engine to run and then to accept throttle opening.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ok...got everything off again..timing marks are good on crank and cams!

Whapped the spark plugs out and noticed they are full of really heavy thick black deposits of soot, First 3 are soaked in fuel from the cranking, but the 4th is bone dry.

Would this might have something todo with the no starting and popping sound?

Are you sure you have the TDC in the explosion stroke? If you have check the coilpacks resistance

·
Registered
381 Posts
would the engine fire if the crank sensor was knackered as the ecu wont know what position the engine is at so wouldn't trigger a spark to the relervent pot. Not doubting you at all iainfm so dont get me wrong just wondering how it works with no old school dissy

1 - 20 of 40 Posts