Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm mark and live in Luton beds I'm in the market for getting an Alfa I have been looking at the GT as the kids are grown up and don't really have anyone jump in the back to often, had Alfas before 156 2.5 V6 back in the early 2000s so realise some can be temperamental however looking for some advice what not to touch what's good and useable as an everyday car only work a few miles from home but don't need the feller in the petrol station knowing me by name, thanks for reading any replies welcome

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Have a read in the 147/156/GT forum.
Suspension woes
Diesel - EGR.

Better off taking a look here and read the buyer guides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much so in a nut shell nothing to much as long as it's been looked after and expect to spend a few quid every now and then same as any motoring

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Thanks very much so in a nut shell nothing to much as long as it's been looked after and expect to spend a few quid every now and then same as any motoring
IMHO these cars are no worse or better than any other. That is not what I tell none Alfa folk though. When they ask how I managed to get it off the drive I point them towards the nearest breakdown truck :lol:

Reactions: Markj23

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you only do little mileage a diesel will probably more more hassle than it's worth with EGR problems etc. The 2.0 JTS (petrol) is a decent enough car, coil pack problems seem to be the most common issue and don't expect it to be quick or sound particularly inspiring. The 3.2 V6 is a stunner but you will get early 20's MPG (less if you are really going for it) and servicing and parts will be more expensive but you will forget about all of that the minute you start it up.

Just buy carefully because as tempting as a cheap one will be it is best to get one that has had a fair bit of work done of late to make it all as it should be (they are 10 years old and over). I bought one (3.2) at what I thought then was a reasonable price and then had to spend over £2000 due to head gasket failure, new clutch and cambelt. Suspension seems to be an issue with most, mine is fine though and I believe it hasn't been modded but there are loads of modding options to make the suspension better. Eibach, Bilstein, Koni etc. Electrics can be a bit random in them but in a typical Alfa way mine seems to sort itself out when the windows decide to stop opening etc just by turning it off and on again haha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts