Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

I can normally be found over in the GT section due to my Hybrid turbo'd GT blackline but I have always loved the lines of the GTV and wanted one so have had my eye out for a while..A V6 would have been champion but due to the last push on my GT (smf and GTA clutch and final map to 260 BHP) I only had the funds for a TS..

so yesterday I took the plunge and bought a PH1 GTV in Verde tropic Met with 2.0 TS engine with ony 69k on the clock, no tax or MOT, but drove her back with an MOT booked which allowed me to do so legally, she didn't miss a beat..temp went down on the Mway so I can safely assume the stat has failed on open..the drive back was an absolute pleasure and although it's very different to my GT she has bags of charm, handles really nicely and the TS engine even in need of some work pulled well trough all the gears and was a lovely change from the diesel clatter and turbo whistle that i have become used to!

despite keeping things civilised at below 4k there was more torque than I expected , I can only assume she is going to be a real joy in those higher revs and the 155 bhp on tap feels ''enough'' in this car...very pleasantly surprised, especially as I can only assume there will be a bit more with new plugs and a good service.

I have a full leather momo interior, body work in reasonable condition but solvable with T-cut a MOP and in places some clever re-finishing. the car has a sunroof (which doesn't work) and is in need of a cambelt, lower wishbones, the O/S wing mirror is smashed but it came with a spare (in blue) which I have already taken apart and primed ready for the paint I have ordered on ebay.

under side looks good,no rust on the sills, all keys present and the car has had a new stainless exhaust at some point which looks and sounds lovely!

the car has pepper pot alloys with rough tyres but have already bought some 16'' teledials in great nick on ebay with newish Pirelli's all round. 17''s would have been better I know but are prohibitively expensive.

so the plan is over the next 3-4 weeks..

lower wishbones, new wheels and tyres..airbag light is on so I am looking into a modified cable to address it but it may be the sensor.

cambelt, water pump,tensioners idlers, a new variator and aux belt (it sounds like a diesel!) a full service with all fluids and filters, a brake caliper refurb and painting in red with some nice decals to go on, new pads and discs as well if required. new handbrake cables probably needed too.

I may have to do the rad as well depending on what I find when I get right into it.

the aim is to save this low mileage beauty from the scrappies, enjoy her for a bit and sell on..I will be doing all the work myself and all parts will be OEM(just ordered from shop4parts) as well as the TS timing tools as I seem to have lost mine!

although I got her for a good price if the work was undertaken at a garage it would easily be 2k+ ,almost certainly condemning her to beaking for parts..on a 69k example that would have been a real shame.

I will post some before and after pics and keep you all updated on the progress, any advice or help gratefully accepted as I am new to GTV's...I have already looked up the likely cause of the sunroof issue (motor) and am hoping the punto part will work.

I am looking very much forward to getting started, lets hope its drier than it has been of late..:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I was going to say if she's a keeper to check underneath the wheel arch liners for rust but if you're going to sell then it's probably best not to know.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she looks fine under there, did a good visual before handing over the money,and a compression test as well..all good..:thumbup:

lots of minor negatives with this car but all the ''major '' stuff is OK, looking at the market its nice to see they are rising in value , but I find it odd that a BMW Z3 for example with similar mileage and in god condition would go for 4k..:paranoid:

not nearly as engaging to drive horrible looking and only 2 seats..the public perception of German cars never ceases to amaze.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Well done on saving her.

You'll need spacers if you're fitting 156 Teledials.

Best of luck, keep us up to date ?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok..thanks for that. I know the pcd is the same at 5x98 but wasn't sure about offset .would imagine 5mm would do it..?

If I can get away with 3mm great as I have a 3mm set on the GT I wouldn't mind replacing with 5mm and this would be the perfect excuse...!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts