Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just picked up my 2005 147 GTA Monza, manual, black, black leather, sunroof, xenons. She has only done 24000 k's. Serviced at 10000 and 20000 at an alfa dealer. Now i dont want to drive her 2 hard as i am scared of the diff blowing..........should i get the q2 diff done sooner rather than later?? Also she is now 3 years old, do i still need to get the cambelt, tensioners, idlers and water pump replaced even although she has only done 24000k's??

Thanks all!!
P.S. GTA's are amazing!!:D

·
Registered
908 Posts
Unbelievable!

The power of the internet eh!

You go out and spend many k's on a high performance sports car, then you drive it home at 20mph because you are scared of the diff breaking?

What's wrong with you man? Give it a good thrashing! Just because some diffs have failed doesn't mean yours will!

What next? Will people demand the dealer takes off the brake pedal because the car only has 305mm brake disks?! Maybe you could drive it on jacks just in case the wishbone creaks!

M

·
0 Posts
Had Q2, cam belt/tensioners/idlers, water pump and a top wishbone changed last week. Car has done 20k miles and is 2005 built.

No good waiting until it's gone wrong - preventative maintenance needed here and three years is enough for most cam belts I'd say.

Get yours parts changed first and then give it a good seeing-to. :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
ive just had my cam belt done. 5 years and 37,000 miles. changed as per the manual. 72k or 5 years.

ET

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it was 3 years or 60000 kilometres, mines has only done 24000 kilometres and is now 3 years old, so i dont know if i need to get the cambelt done yet. So my GTA in miles has done 14000 miles.......shouldnt need done yet, should it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i will get the q2 done first and then get the cambelt done next year as i will only be doing about 4 or 5000 miles a year in the GTA.

Is that the best way to go??

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I think i will get the q2 done first and then get the cambelt done next year as i will only be doing about 4 or 5000 miles a year in the GTA.

Thats what I'm doing with mine - 2005 147 GTA 26k miles. Q2 in a couple of weeks and then cambelt early next year.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

Should be fine, I had mine done at 4 years and 40k (wouldn't have gone past that though) and the the q2 shortly after. The q2 is worth it not just for the peace of mind but also the improvement to the car so it is money well spent.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My GTA has 47.000 kms (10/2004) and next year i will mount Q2 and i will change cambelts too.

I hope all runs successfully.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I thought it was 3 years or 60000 kilometres, mines has only done 24000 kilometres and is now 3 years old, so i dont know if i need to get the cambelt done yet. So my GTA in miles has done 14000 miles.......shouldnt need done yet, should it?
In Australia, the belt change period has always been 3 years or 60000kms. If its 3 years old, get it done.

E

·
0 Posts
Don't take a chance with the cambelt, I would get that done as a priority before the Q2, especially if in Australia it is stated to be done at 3 years. The chances of a belt snapping have to be higher than the diff failing though I would obviously say that if you can get the Q2 done at the same time, do it for peace of mind on both counts.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Hi guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted, so I thought I’d update on recent GTA maintenance…

My GTA SS has recently undergone its 60,000 km Cam-Belt service (as recommended in the M.E. region) at 3 years from new. All belts, pulleys, tensioners etc were routinely replaced, and all items were in good shape… Looking as though they could probably have gone twice the distance without drama, but it’s nice to know that they’re bullet-proof within the prescribed limit. However, the water pump had to be replaced due to internal corrosion.

Sod’s law prevailing, a couple of weeks post service I began to experience intermittent failure to engage neutral or reverse (very embarrassing as I had to seek assistance to push the car out of ‘nose-in’ parking slots on a couple of occasions). Low pressure from the Selespeed Pump was diagnosed, and the pump was duly replaced… problem solved.

All things considered, although the car has displayed a few of the niggles & faults which have been well documented on AO, it has so far proven to be no less reliable than any other car I have owned (other than my wife’s mind-numbingly boring Honda Civic). I just love it, and can’t imagine replacing it with anything currently available.

BTW I fitted a set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tyres today, and the handling has become noticeably instant/telepathic; but at the same time quiet and relaxed... Far better than the Adrenaline's, PRS2's and RE 050's which preceded them. I'll give them a couple of days to scrub-in and give them some serious fast road exercise etc. and will report back.

Martin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts