Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Off topic....but I really like the right fog light being converted to an intake. I'm just about to fit a front mounted intercooler (last parts arrived today) and the routing of the air box intake pipe clashes with the IC pipes. This could be a neat solution. Having briefly flicked through the MOT guide I cant see it being an issue legally as front fogs are not tested and don't need to be present (well they do but only on vehicles for vehicles made after 1/3/18). Hmmmm…...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow, this thread was a great read.

Credit to the OP for a painstaking approach to a new look. The stock look is always for me, but to each their own and nobody can say the results aren't interesting and unique.

I fitted some similar mesh to the front grill of a '72 Fiat Spider many years ago.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love this mod. It makes sense to me that it is an improvement because its a newer style found in the more modern Alfas.

Iv had a go myself with the intention of producing multiples for sale. The only similar grill for sale costs €170 and I think I can make them much cheaper, half the price at least. I messed up 5 hours into the process when I rushed the drying process in the oven and I have warped the plug (item to be copied). The plan was to make a mold from this so i could make fibreglass or carbon copies. Now I have to start all over again. :cry:

In the mean time, I noticed that the void in my bumper (late 2011 car) is very clean so I have wrapped it in brushed aluminium and cable tied in a grill. The result is a larger grill. I wrapped the badge also but I think it needs to be blacked out. And the red emblem looks more like a Christmas decoration ?

Some daylight pics after a clean. Im still not liking the red nose. The grill V and the bonnet badge dont line up now so I think a black emblem should sort that. Overall I dont think that the larger grill suits the car so I will eventually go back to plan A and make some fibreglass copies of the original V.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 159 2.2JTS
17 Posts
I have a similar project in the early stages (sourcing bits mainly) and I'm on the scrounge for a V grille at the mo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Finally had the time to make a few of these (seem to have lots of free time lately). Im selling a kit on ebay UK now (search for alfa 159 v grill) with the mesh, vinyl wrapped V section plus some wrap to de-chrome the bonnet emblem. I made a mould of the modified V section so I can produce copies in carbon or fibreglass.

Actually looks good in white gel coat. Looks a bit like matt white ceramic.

My bonnet release was broken when I got the car, its works and it doesn't interfere with the grill. I just need to lift up the bonnet slightly to reach the release.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I think the same but they seem to be hard to find, and its another cost to the project
I ended up buying a compete bonnet to get the plinth for a decent price as everyone I tried was out of stock/on backorder. Fortunately the bonnet is the same colour as the car so I got pretty much the whole front end including the bonnet release pull lever. I think I paid £260 for the wings, bonnet, bumper/grilles and biXenon lamps.

Anyhoo, if you really want the Brera badge/plinth

Guy

·
Registered
72 Posts
You did a really good job on this, but my 2cent is that the 159 just doesnt suit an empty grille...the light lines need them. I cant get over the line with this point...and i was gonna order one. Best of luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I’m back. I went with a black wrap in the end.

I think I prefer it to the silver pearl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks.
Yes, the light fairing has a joiner on the back and is joined to the factory air box (with K&N filter) with a short flexible hose.

I’m just reading up on the BMC CDA kit to determine I that’s the next thing I change.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I tried that on mine last time I had the bumper off as I had parts that would do the job....but I found it impossible to route to pipe from the highlight aperture to the factory airbox (factory intake removed of course)...just too much in the way...Will try again at some point.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts