Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been considering modifying my factory grill.

Tonight I ordered the honeycomb mesh (same/very similar to that in the lower grills) and cutting discs.

I'll be cutting out the cross members of the "V", plastic bogging, sanding and painting, and then bonding in the very carefully cut mesh.

I'm going for the Giulietta/Giulia grill look and it'll bring a consistent aesthetic to the front of the car that'll come with matching with the lower grills and their mesh.

Anyone else done something similar? Wouldn't mind seeing the results if you don't mind sharing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm interested in your project, please share your progress, thanks

Some progress.

Bogging, sanding, high-fill priming, colour, and clear-coat next.

Sadly, my mesh isn't scheduled to arrive until the end of the month.

I'm also considering cutting out the horizontal bars between the lights and the scudetto and meshing there too.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I am always troubled by attempts to alter the look of the 159 'face'. It is the one defining view that makes most people swoon over the car. So why would it need 'improving'? But here's my contribution.

What ever you put into the void is almost irrelevant because the eye does not see black. Black is the absence of shape. So in removing the horizontal chrome strips you are removing the lines that lead the eye to see the grille as wider than it is. So now the grille will look narrower. How does this sit with the other defined shapes at the front end? The top slat ties the two side strips to the headlights. So should you have left that? Would you get back the shape by removing the two strips inside of the headlights? How about the bottom edge of the grille protrusion. It is painted and joins the grille to the lower edge of the bumper. If a piece of black is introduced here the grille would 'hover' higher and might bring back the viewed width of the car.

Some people have darkened the whole plinth under the headlights (not black but a darker shade). This brings the whole front end down but makes it look very narrow because the crease from the headlights to the fog lights is sharpened. It also has a dramatic effect on the front 3/4 view with a plunging wing line.

Whatever you do you cannot create the grille style of later cars because they have also enlarged the opening to retain the apparent width of the car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments @Old Engineer.

I took the time to read and I do appreciate your thoughts on how my planned changes will affect the look and stance of the car.

My uncle is an Alfisti and he facepalms sometimes when I tell him of the various plans I have had since having the car.

For me, the scudetto is not a drawing point or the most attractive feature of the car. In fact, I almost dislike it.

For me, the lights have always been a stand out followed by the flared guards and low, wide stance of the Ti.

While black is the absence of colour in theory, ensuring there is a mix of gloss and matt surfaces and textures ensures there are subtleties to keep the eye caught, even if barely. Being in Queensland, we have an abundance of bright sunny days and this will easily highlight various surfaces, textures, and finishes.

By enhancing the maw of the whole grill area, it has highlighted the light pods and given the car a much more aggressive stance when viewed from the front and/or 3/4 views. This has been borne out almost universally and without prompting, by people/friends who see before and after mock-ups.

Having said this, I have been playing with the idea of a misty gloss silver (like the wheels and mirror cowlings on the Ti) V coupled with black matt mesh - ala Giulia QF.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Bad mistake I feel - the front of the 159 & Brera is what sets it apart from every day cars, I personally love polishing the chrome and you can't improve on the design, however never say never!
I'll wait to see the end results?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the result of your project. I wouldn't like to change the front grill of my 159 it's what makes the car stand out from the crowd and gives the car an angry face as my kids say.

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
The Giulia is a reverse engineered 3series and as the BMW is sharp the Alfa version couldn't be sharp too!

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
The Giulia would be mistaken for the BMW and take more stages of pressing if it was sharp edged. Marchionne didn't want that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Interesting comments.
Thanks guys.

Today I stripped the black paint and keyed the chrome effect on the V.

Keen on further thoughts;

A

Or B

Obviously, the mesh is still to be fitted (when it arrives) and the gaps filled and painted.

If I go A, it'll be matt mesh with gloss black V.
If I go B, it'll be the same mesh with a gloss silver pearl V.

I'm now of two minds. Please help me decide.
Cheers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More progress;

Filling and sanding - my favourite part of this little project ?

Fiberglass reinforcing so the filler doesn't pop out when the scudetto experiences flex.

Trimming away of all non-structural plastic trim.

Test fit.

1st coat of primer.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Interesting project and I'll follow it through till the end, looks like you're doing a real good job of it.
Personally I dont much like that mesh and much prefer the fine wire mesh found on the Spiders and Breras (not sure might just be the LEs)
Again if it were mine and going to all that trouble I would have tried fitting the Brera/Spider front end as well with the sabre tooth look to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More progress has been slow for a couple of reasons.
I'm using PPG brand rattle cans in my garage and I have almost no experience applying metallic paints.

The silver is extremely difficult to apply while ensuring I get a smooth finish, avoid orange peel and also avoid over spraying and getting runs. It's a fine balance with the coarse spray from a can. It cannot be varied like it can on a proper spray pot with compressor. I have one of these but I have even less experience using one and not enough patience for learning right now.

Drying time, even on our 30°C+ winter days is also measured in days for the paint to harden properly for handling.

Here's the V with the last coat of silver pearl applied.

I finally got the hang of using the can for a good quality finish.
Next will be two clear coats.

And I also two-pack painted the bonnet wings

The wings are finished now and I'll set aside for a week for them to dry/harden fully.

I also experimented with clear coating an old badge. Normally the badges are simple paint on alloy and can actually scratch very easily. This clear coat gives the same finish as the rest of the car and will hopefully stop chipping of the black where it meets the polished silver parts of the badge.

I have new badges coming and will clear coat them before applying them front and back.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
How are you planning on securing the scudetto back to the bumper as you have cut away all of the points at which it mounts / bolts on by default. What is you plan?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Paul777

No, I prefer the 159 wings and warming the can did seem to help. Thanks for the tip.

@JabawokJayUK

Sikaflex is the answer my friend.

More work again today;

The hex mesh cut (using a carefully cut out cardboard template) and temporarily in place.

The V in place and marked for notching around the grill ribs.

After all this, I am still thinking I may like black better. I'll see how I go with silver for a couple of weeks first.

More to come...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts