Alfa Romeo Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
I don't think I'd be taking this back if I was the dealer. I'd maybe fix the wiper, stick a new battery in it and do a proxy reset then send you on your way and then stop answering the phone.
It's just not worth selling old cars as peoples expectations are so high. Sold as seen I'm afraid. However, All the listed problems are a fairly well trodden path of diagnosis and repair. This is totally fixable by yourself if you throw a bit of time and money at it.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

The mention of low price suggests an awareness that expectations should be lower than perfect and a 2011 car is not going to be perfect even at top-book price.
I have a 2010 car with only 85k miles on the clock. Anthos, I don't think you've stated the mileage on your car but I do nearly all of my own maintenance and it probably would only fetch £3k at the very most. I've done the rear hatch looms, EGR valve cover, EGR valve, aux belts,timing belts and water pump, you name it my bella gets it. The car goes like a train and is probably more powerful than any new car you can buy for less than £30k. If you sort the car for even a £1k you might end up with something like my car that I know I can't replace for a reliable car for less than £8k. Long term ownership means you end up with a lower value car but can really pay off, provided the car gets the right maintenance. The brand does suffer from huge depreciation but look after the car and it will look after you. Sounds like your battery was low but regular driving has brought it back to start stop levels?

Discussion starter · #64 · (Edited)
I don't think I'd be taking this back if I was the dealer. I'd maybe fix the wiper, stick a new battery in it and do a proxy reset then send you on your way and then stop answering the phone.
It's just not worth selling old cars as peoples expectations are so high. Sold as seen I'm afraid. However, All the listed problems are a fairly well trodden path of diagnosis and repair. This is totally fixable by yourself if you throw a bit of time and money at it.

I am not an expert but my understanding is that based on the Consumer Rights Act, considering that the car has been in my possession only for less than 2 weeks then it is within my rights to return it and request a refund. The car was advertised having a working AC unit, bluetooth system etc. It obviously does not. I gave him the advertised money he was expecting. He did not provide me with the "accurate description" of the advertised car. Now you might say well you should have checked those things out before you paid for it and you might have a small point. However when the day is colder than what the AC unit can provide for then it is difficult to gauge if it is working well or not. Additionally it is obviously unrealistic to expect someone to "examine" a car in its entirety and if there are any faults to have them all diagnosed before you drive off the lot.

EDIT: Also what an absolute terrible advice on "stop answering the phone". I am a veterinarian. Should I also incorporate it in my discharge protocols? "Here's your meds, your collar and if the dog develops any complications or starts bleeding at any point don't bother calling me because I am not gonna pick it up".

Discussion starter · #65 ·
I have a 2010 car with only 85k miles on the clock. Anthos, I don't think you've stated the mileage on your car but I do nearly all of my own maintenance and it probably would only fetch £3k at the very most. I've done the rear hatch looms, EGR valve cover, EGR valve, aux belts,timing belts and water pump, you name it my bella gets it. The car goes like a train and is probably more powerful than any new car you can buy for less than £30k. If you sort the car for even a £1k you might end up with something like my car that I know I can't replace for a reliable car for less than £8k. Long term ownership means you end up with a lower value car but can really pay off, provided the car gets the right maintenance. The brand does suffer from huge depreciation but look after the car and it will look after you. Sounds like your battery was low but regular driving has brought it back to start stop levels?
Maybe. Difficult to tell. The problem is that on workdays I work fairly long hours, and occassionally weekends as well. So it is not so easy to keep going to mechanics and hope that they can easily diagnose a problem especially before the critical period has lapsed where the dealer might be able to just throw his hands up in the air and say that those aren't his problem any more. Money is also obviously a concern as well as time however and the stress that it all accompanies.
The mileage on the car is about 121K miles.

As far as I see it you are covered under the SOG act so seller has to repair,refund or replace.
As for a poster saying if I was a dealer I wouldn’t accept car back that’s nonsense as a dealer they are legally obliged to do just that if car is not fit for purpose etc.
Persue the dealer for a fix or refund.

I am not an expert but my understanding is that based on the Consumer Rights Act, considering that the car has been in my possession only for less than 2 weeks then it is within my rights to return it and request a refund. The car was advertised having a working AC unit, bluetooth system etc. It obviously does not. I gave him the advertised money he was expecting. He did not provide me with the "accurate description" of the advertised car. Now you might say well you should have checked those things out before you paid for it and you might have a small point. However when the day is colder than what the AC unit can provide for then it is difficult to gauge if it is working well or not. Additionally it is obviously unrealistic to expect someone to "examine" a car in its entirety and if there are any faults to have them all diagnosed before you drive off the lot.

EDIT: Also what an absolute terrible advice on "stop answering the phone". I am a veterinarian. Should I also incorporate it in my discharge protocols? "Here's your meds, your collar and if the dog develops any complications or starts bleeding at any point don't bother calling me because I am not gonna pick it up".
Not advice! Just being pragmatic. Whatever the legal position is I'd be fairly sure a satisfactory outcome will be along way away and require a great deal of effort from yourself and not much cooperation from the seller. This is reality. Id be getting the car fixed and next time be especially vigilant before parting with money and signing anything.

Discussion starter · #68 ·
So advertising a car as dual zone climate control when the AC doesn't work at all and saying that it also has blue&me telephone capabilities when it also doesn't is being pragmatic? And then you say how *I* should be the one to go around fixing them? Do you think if these issues were made aware by the dealer I would have signed anything or walked away? My plan was not to get a car and then spend a season's of weekends driving it to mechanics and "hope" that the problems get sorted for a reasonable price. I find your reasoning extremely ludicrous.

You knew it was cheap and therefore must have wondered?
Some of these ads are auto-fill text but they should check if it’s there or has the capability to have certain functions if you fix it.

I think the point is you have two choices; fix it yourself or go back to the dealer. The practical and inescapable problem with the latter is that dealers are not known for giving an easy ride on such things and therefore a choice needs to be made between the two options. Time persuading the dealer or time getting it fixed yourself.

That’s not to say ‘tough luck’ but only to point out the practicalities.

You do have the protection of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but it is time limited. And again it involves sometime to return/reject the car.

I remember years ago a guy on here got a refund on a lemon of a Giulietta from a car supermarket and then got offered it for what it was worth with the faults. He bought it and fixed it!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.