Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, hi all, first ever thread - need some expertise which, by the looks of it, you folks on here have.

So, the scenario goes...

Just went and upgraded my Giulietta QVline 1.4 MA to a stunning 2016 Veloce '240bhp'.

Beautiful machine, love it. HOWEVER, in a bid to not be out done by these peasants in their Focus ST's and show what the Giulietta is made of, I am looking to buy a Racechip Pro 2 tuning box to unlock that reserve in the 1.75 Tbi.

This is where I need your advice, looking at the Racechip website there are 3 different power outputs for the same 1.75 Tbi engine to choose from - 230, 235 and 241. I sent RaceChip an email and they said "its down to the different ECU's used with the engines - you MUST select the right one!"...cheers Inspector Morse. Googled the hell out of it and saw many varying BHP specs.

My question to you all is what is the ACTUAL bhp of the 2016 Giulietta Veloce and which option do I select? 230, 235 or 240?

Thanks guys. (attached a picture of the steed)

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice car, same as mine but mine is Alfa red. :biglaugh:

I always thought these are 240bhp, that's the figure always mentioned on various test drive articles etc, but I'm guessing. Are you running in the engine before adding any more power and will the gearbox and turbo cope ok with it?

I think the old QV had 235bhp.

In the handbook it states 240bhp and 177 kW

·
Registered
188 Posts

I always thought these are 240bhp, that's the figure always mentioned on various test drive articles etc, but I'm guessing. Are you running in the engine before adding any more power and will the gearbox and turbo cope ok with it?
I would worry more about the clutch, the turbo and gearbox should be both just fine.

Anyway, the '16 Veloce model has 240 BHP.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just mentioning a 230 version, tells much about this vendor and what he knows...i would step away...very, very slowly...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just looked on the website(racechip)

The first 47bhp uplift in power is quite cheap (129 euro), the next 18bhp is another 350 euro.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I think the old QV had 235bhp.

In the handbook it states 240bhp and 177 kW
Exactly what I thought... until I saw the list of options! It also mentions '241 HP' not 240?

Definitely going to run it in for a couple of thousand miles first, yes. There's another thread on here I was reading where the same Tuning box was used on the older QV - outcome seemed to be extremely positive which makes me less apprehensive.

The other thing I like about Race Chip is that they guarantee the engine for a year. Read all the reviews and bar a dodgy golf they've all been great. Just seems all very legit.

...there is, of course, always the Novitec option. They just seem a bit pricey on the level of performance enhancement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just looked on the website(racechip)

The first 47bhp uplift in power is quite cheap (129 euro), the next 18bhp is another 350 euro.
It is yeh however it doesn't include any engine warranty, that's another 59 euros.

Race Chip Pro 2, increase of 53 HP with 1 years engine warranty is £208 in todays exchange - I don't think that's half bad... if it works.

I'm not massively into the whole tuning thing - just want that tad bit extra as ST drivers always seem to have an arrogance to them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
indeed, so how much can the TCT clutch really handle? I have read some say 350nm, others say 400.
I have been told 400, anything above and you would want to look for a stronger clutch.

Though it also depends a lot on how you are driving, if you're constantly trying to beat you 0-60 times you will destroy your clutch in no time. This and the rest of your driveline.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have been told 400, anything above and you would want to look for a stronger clutch.

Though it also depends a lot on how you are driving, if you're constantly trying to beat you 0-60 times you will destroy your clutch in no time. This and the rest of your driveline.
Well when I had a manual JtDm with ECU tuning, I managed to burn out two sets of clutches each clutch lasting around 40,000kms just from standard driving (no 0-60 racing at all) The clutch seemed to be most stressed and eventually started slipping in the peak torque ranges only.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
corr, you don't like ST drivers .... cant say ive noticed them being arrogant

don't forget, they modify too and have many more options.... easily available so you wont beat them all

but if your going to do a power hike, make sure you sort out the handling too...... no good having the power if once you hit a corner the rest of the car is not up to it.

I put mine on bilsteins b6 shocks and eibach springs but some guys swear by the coilovers.

·
Registered
436 Posts
yep
bilstein b6s and eibachs+remap=more fun safely
took mine round brands hatch with this set up and apart from rubbish brakes the car was pretty handy on the track but with standard shocks....well I don't think I would be here writing this:paranoid:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts