Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Says it all really, all your guesses were indeed correct and i need a new gear box,

Where do i get 1 and how much am i gonna have to pay for it, all options are valid ones so please suggest them all

Thanks

Franky

·
Registered
162 Posts
What happend?
As I found out a new gearbox is bloody expensive. I just rebuilt mine as its a hell of a lot cheaper but depends on the condition, mind you im in australia. You should try find a used gearbox from euro part companies / auto wreckers etc. I got quoted AU$4,700 for a used gearbox... I thought that was insane!!! www.ebay.co.uk would be a good idea theres lots of wreckers saying they have all parts for gtvs etc i would get intouch with one of them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats most common, if thats the case hopefully the gearbox can be rebuilt any holes in the casing etc can be welded up.
That was my solution but i added in a Q2 aswell :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
yeah me too, i got luck and the casing wasn't damaged so just a strip and clean and new diff fitted.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right guys is there anywhere I can get the Q2 diff as a part myself so that my garage can rebuild my box with the Q2. I have seen garages that do the refit themselves as listed in the upgrades forum but I really just need to source the part myself. Please can you guys gimme a list of places that will just sell me the part,

thanks guys

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah fair point, I take back the wrath I took out on the spotty little oik :)

I still need to find where to get a Q2 from though please

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oooooo £260+ VAT that looks a good price tbh

The mechanic sais when he drained the oil out of the gearbox and then put a magnet up some bits and pieces came out he thinks 1 or more of the teeth on 1 of the cogs has gone :( hopefully a rebuild plus a Q2 will sort it all out.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
oooooo £260+ VAT that looks a good price tbh

The mechanic sais when he drained the oil out of the gearbox and then put a magnet up some bits and pieces came out he thinks 1 or more of the teeth on 1 of the cogs has gone :( hopefully a rebuild plus a Q2 will sort it all out.
You'll soon have a whole new car Franky after you earlier escerpades!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
M8 you dont even wanna know the amount of money i have spent on this car in the last 15 months !!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
M8 you dont even wanna know the amount of money i have spent on this car in the last 15 months !!!

had my car 3 years this december. forgetting tax, tyres and petrol. oh and insurance, repairs for the car range from bushes and arms to brake servo, clutch, and diff amongst others. so far thats cost me £3800+:(

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If it were me I would take the car to Ned at Autolusso. He can determine what work needs to be done ( and what doesn't) and replace/rebuild gearbox as necessary and fit new Q2 diff too. He has the Alfa experience to know where to source new or rebuilt 'boxes or where to get yours rebuilt.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
I agree with Fantom Alfa, just get Ned to come down with his trailer and take your car away, do whatever needs doing to fix it (his prices are good), then you go and pick it up when its done. Sorted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts