Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My front discs were seriously in need of being replaced, so as it's only for road use i wanted to get drilled and grooved discs without breaking the bank. Got these discs and pads from dealer on e bay for £90 all in inc pads.
Went for standard pads, no point in going for ds2500's really on the road. Also the calipers told me to paint them, which brightens it all up i think.

cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Do you know that the retaining spring is missing...?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
and another thing, the V6 should have "W" rated tyres, not "V"...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes david,
I realised i forgot the bloody spring after i packed everything up and took pic, so had to get all the gear out again and re fit clip, typical eh:cry:,
And i thought a V rating is good upto 149mph anyway, so perfectly acceptable for road use, but i could be wrong

cheers for pointing out my spring mistake, thought no one would notice :lol:

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
And i thought a V rating is good upto 149mph anyway, so perfectly acceptable for road use, but i could be wrong
"V" is upto 149, but the V6 is spec'd with "W", so that is what you should be using as a minimum.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Richard, have you got a link to the seller???

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I read somewhere that the grooves should run the other way ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I read somewhere that the grooves should run the other way ...

isn't it that if you put them on one way they last longer but the other way gives better braking performance ... or I might just have made that up

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Hi there,

My front discs were seriously in need of being replaced, so as it's only for road use i wanted to get drilled and grooved discs without breaking the bank. Got these discs and pads from dealer on e bay for £90 all in inc pads.
Went for standard pads, no point in going for ds2500's really on the road. Also the calipers told me to paint them, which brightens it all up i think.

cheers
I've been looking at a similar setup, not sure about pad choice though, mintec or ebc ultimax, same price (ish) on ebay, and drilled grooved discs from m-tec for 75 notes inc. p&p around a ton all in seems ok to me....
my old pads are glazed and warped on the backiing material, and the discs are quite worn on the piston side...How much better do the brakes seem?
Also which way around should the grooves run?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pm sent chris

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as i undertood it the main area to get correct is the vane direction in the disc, the grooves just de glaze the pad from the resin in the pad compound. But for road use i doubt that you will ever achive sustained brake temps to really make proper use of the grooves anyway.

The pedal feel is good, but i need to do a few runs of hard stops to bed them in properly, then cool them to stop glazing..

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
not that we would ever do it, but I am GUESSING that if I braked hard from 3 figure speeds a couple of times my current set up would fade

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I'm getting some tarox G88 put on this week ;)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
My drilled and grooved discs are fitted the other way too but my 20 grooves were fitted same way as yeosport

1 - 20 of 22 Posts