Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the weekend I fitted a new set of discs and pads (Brembo) to the car. Now the actual brake response is better but the initial bite seems numb/soft. I do realise some bedding in is required so my question is how do you bed in your pads and discs

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, having fitted load of pads and discs over the years the actual braking feel never really seems to be as good as when the cars were new and everyone seems to have a different opinion on how to break in.

I have just been applying a more gentle pressure and allowing a longer stopping distance. Car stops great but peddle feels numb, hopefully that will improve

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
They will take a few miles bed in, however how old is your brake fluid in the car? Maybe a full flush with new fluid might help improve the feel|

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car serviced a couple of weeks ago, not sure if they did brake fluid, will probably just put new in anyway

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Pretty normal for new brakes as contact area is less until they have bedded in. Will be even worse if you did front and rear brakes at same time.
Give it a few hundred miles see how it feels then

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The initial contact area can vary with quality of parts so it should be good in this case.

Bedding in also should include conditioning of discs. That is transfer of friction material onto disc to improve interaction between disc and pad. The idea is similar to a race track 'rubbering up'.
Once full pad contact is made, repeated braking of 0.5g stops (5-10) from 60mph to 10mph conditions the discs.
Ensure brake discs get enough cooling air between stops. Don't overheat new brakes. Blueing of discs shows excess heat but a straw tinge won't cause harm depending on type of anti corrosion coating.

If doing that doesn't help, then it is the pad's cold response which is lacking.

A brake fluid service is charged extra. That is why it is seldom done.
Clutch fluid has not been considered a service item for years.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Brake and clutch fluid is shared on the Giulietta. While it likely isn't your problem, new fluid helps shifting and is safer. Should be changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts