Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Went to start the Mito on tuesday evening last week. It turned over and started then immediately stopped. I turned off the key and switched it on again and the needles didn't do their usual dance and there was nothing at all when I tried to start it . Switched it off and gave it a minute then on again. Needles flew round and it started. Going to work yesterday and I pulled up at a set of lights. The stop/start worked for the first time in ages, (well at least half of it did). It stopped and when the lights went green I put my foot on the clutch, it started then immediately died. I tried restarting and it was just winding over without firing while at the same time displaying "CODE ERROR" on the radio display . It did start again on the second attempt. I have booked her in to the dealers in the hope it may do it for them or that it has at least managed to store a fault code or two. Hasn anybody else had this happen? If so what was it? Thanks all.

C

·
0 Posts
iridiumX is probably right - mine had a knackered alternator which caused a misfire followed by power steering failure. Make sure the root cause is identified and fixed rather than just the symptoms.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for these replies. The little girl is at the dealers today and I'm waiting on a phone call from them. I've learned something here. I didn't realise that alternators had any bearing on the vehicle once it was started. I thought all they done was charged the battery. Is this because everything in cars is electric these days?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The alternator basically powers everything while the engine is running, and then with its surplus capacity, it keeps the battery topped up.

The battery is there only to power everything during starting of the engine, plus a few minor items like central locking, interior lights, etc. when the engine is not running.

A faulty battery may 'drag down' the whole system even while the engine is running, though it's unlikely that such a battery would start the engine.

-Alex

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got car back from dealers. Lead from battery to starter motor found loose and re-tightened, lead from battery to earth found loose and re-tightened. Several fault codes stored and cleared and new software updates uploaded. Fingers crossed no more problems from here. Thanks everybody.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts