41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Honest John seems to agree......

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yep mum's got one of those 1000cc 3 pot turbo engines in her fiesta. Very fast car... Crazy..... She's always spinning the wheels when pulling out of the Co op car park😁

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Officially they claim 55.4 to the gallon (combined) on the Mondeo....so getting 35 mpg (that's only 63% of the claimed) should be pretty easy. Also its only 119g per km emissions.....rather less than any NA 1.8 is likely to get. But I certainly would not have one myself.....or any Dagenham Dustbin for that matter!

·
Registered
37,349 Posts
With a real world mpg of about 25 I believe. Dreadful engines in a car that size.

I had a 1.0 Ecoboost ST line Focus as a courtesy car when my own Focus got written off.

It was ok, about the same performance and fuel economy as a 4 cylinder normally aspirated 1.6 Focus...

Totally pointless IMO. I averaged 38mpg during my time with it.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Alfa has - for the last 30 years or so - been putting out bad quality vehicles. Obviously because FIAT did not give them a chance to perform - untill Marchionne arrived.
How very dare you!
If you had owned or driven a 156 (to name but 1) I doubt you would make such a sweeping false statement.
My 156 is now coming up to 17 years old, has been very reliable and still gets compliments from first time passengers on the quality and design of the interior.

(1998 European Car of the Year) :p

·
Registered
33,193 Posts
In the car industry, from my experience, there are two meanings for the word quality; the Engineers and the Designers using it for different attributes. Engineers can use metrics to define a good quality product as one that does not break or fail , incurring warranty costs and TGW statistics and it could look rubbish. Designers see a well resolved and assembled car using good and durable materials as a quality product.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
In the car industry, from my experience, there are two meanings for the word quality; the Engineers and the Designers using it for different attributes. Engineers can use metrics to define a good quality product as one that does not break or fail , incurring warranty costs and TGW statistics and it could look rubbish. Designers see a well resolved and assembled car using good and durable materials as a quality product.
The other type of quality is extensive marketing when the manufacturer keeps telling you its a quality product, sponsoring the magazine pundits to say the same, you then end up believing it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The other type of quality is extensive marketing when the manufacturer keeps telling you its a quality product, sponsoring the magazine pundits to say the same, you then end up believing it.
Perception is reality....... Is that the art of marketing? 😎

·
Registered
33,193 Posts
Prejudice is handy in that it can provide rose-tinted views of german rather than a checklist of what you’re going to find wrong, like hard plastics on the interior. VW used soft mouldings for vent bezels etc to fit in with a tight shutgap. Now they’ve gone for hard bits the magazines aren’t having a go at them for it.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts