Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My wet dream has been to - once - own a car with an 8000 rpm engine.....

We are talking 360 - 525 bhp in an engine developed in the US- primarily for trucks - there will be torque.

A US-truck weighs 2000-3000 kg, and we all know that torque/bhp requires heavy stuff.

It will happen - included in official Alfa - not FCA - chart over "electrification". Rest of FCA will have different hybrid layouts.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Just buy a motorbike, some of them rev to 15000rpm ;) Just kidding, I know you said "car"

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
My old girlfriends Suzuki GSX-R250-SP redlined at 18500 rpm....peak power was at 14,500. Incredibly smooth even at (and past....it would easily hit 20,000rpm) the redline. Completely gutless though....but ideal for her at the time as she had just passed her test.

·
Registered
581 Posts

We are talking 360 - 525 bhp in an engine developed in the US- primarily for trucks - there will be torque.

A US-truck weighs 2000-3000 kg, and we all know that torque/bhp requires heavy stuff.

It will happen - included in official Alfa - not FCA - chart over "electrification". Rest of FCA will have different hybrid layouts.
Just get a VTEC Honda. Very cheap nowadays and well past 8000 rpm.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, it`s not just the revs - vehicle needs to be attractive. Though I did consider a Honda......

·
Registered
581 Posts
An S2000 is a pretty darn attractive car. Usually I find that if the drive is fun enough then it makes up for the looks. Hence I loved my Subaru Forester...until the head gasket went

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
One of the head gaskets? Subarus are known for sturdiness, but joy of driving/ engines is not their forte.
I have been to the workshop at Prodrive, where they rebuilt their rally cars - possibly the sheet metal of the roof was intact…..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes the EJ25 is notorious for blowing head gaskets. I don't think Subaru deserve the Japanese reputation for reliability. The failures they suffer always seem to be catastrophic.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Yes the EJ25 is notorious for blowing head gaskets. I don't think Subaru deserve the Japanese reputation for reliability. The failures they suffer always seem to be catastrophic.
Every Jap and German car is reliable, bullet proof. As for Alfa Romeo, they break down daily dont you know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,301 Posts
I don't consider Japanese cars any more reliable than anything else these days. They have similar technology and mechanical engineering so why would they be much different?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I don't consider Japanese cars any more reliable than anything else these days. They have similar technology and mechanical engineering so why would they be much different?
My take on this is ;- a Honda v - tec is a Honda Engine; a Nissan GT V6 is a Nissan engine. An Alfa Engine is not and Alfa Engine. Unless it is a Busso.

I do not want a Ferrari engine in an Alfa Romeo, Or a GM, a Citroen, a Fiat or any other. Bugger me, they have spent a King's Ransom messing about trying to make other peoples engines fit the bill. Money that could have developed their own Busso replacement, Montreal replacement and Boxer flat four or six replacement. When will these idiots wake up?

A Ferrari engine has a full service - belts and all @ 5k, I believe. Giulia Four - Cheeses are needing Turbos replaced and god knows what done because the car is seen as something a travelling salesman can scream around in. And sales staff revving the ******** off the engine at meetings doesn't instill any confidence that they understand what they should and should not do - just to listen to the exhaust note - FFS.

As for similar technology - some prat would probably apply software to an old Ford Pop side - valve engine and call it cutting edge. That is not how it works. Good mechanical engineering practices have been abandoned.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Since you are both from the UK, you might have a slightly distorted view on quality. :) I have had 4 sixties Cooper/Cooper S.
Although first Toyotas coming into Sweden were **** ,they then created a very strong reputation for quality - which is still valid. Other japanese, did not have same bullet proof quality-although Subaru has a good reputation.

Alfa has - for the last 30 years or so - been putting out bad quality vehicles. Obviously because FIAT did not give them a chance to perform - untill Marchionne arrived.

I was deadly scared - but could not resist to buy the vehicle in "my class" with best specification and performance "we" could only dream of at my former job - Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

For a specific reason, I had to sell it after 6 months, but I will never forget it. In my world it was all perfect, but strongest memory is the ENGINE - incl, perfectly matched ZF AUTO. In my job, I have driven a lot of cars, but not one comes close to the Ferrari/ZF combo.

I have drawings/specifications of the engine, and any fault will kill any economy. However service is NOT every 5000 km.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Since you are both from the UK, you might have a slightly distorted view on quality. :) I have had 4 sixties Cooper/Cooper S.
Although first Toyotas coming into Sweden were **** ,they then created a very strong reputation for quality - which is still valid. Other japanese, did not have same bullet proof quality-although Subaru has a good reputation.

Alfa has - for the last 30 years or so - been putting out bad quality vehicles. Obviously because FIAT did not give them a chance to perform - untill Marchionne arrived.

I was deadly scared - but could not resist to buy the vehicle in "my class" with best specification and performance "we" could only dream of at my former job - Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

For a specific reason, I had to sell it after 6 months, but I will never forget it. In my world it was all perfect, but strongest memory is the ENGINE - incl, perfectly matched ZF AUTO. In my job, I have driven a lot of cars, but not one comes close to the Ferrari/ZF combo.

I have drawings/specifications of the engine, and any fault will kill any economy. However service is NOT every 5000 km.
But it should be! The kind of power levels it puts out at only 2.9 litre is eye watering. It is the cheapest Ferrari engine money can buy. But it is a Ferrari none the less. And the cost of maintaining it and it's performance belongs in the same league as the 458, or more specifically, the California from which the engine is derived.

Treat it; service wise, the same as the 2.2 or the diesels and it's reputation ultimately be sullied, along with those lesser models.

I used to align high power transmitters to achieve almost 50% more than their rated output. Why? Because, when reset to their published figure, they had good headroom, would maintain their output for longer without the need for continual rel-alignment and distortion figures would remain low for that much longer. So, they were cruising, so to speak. However, if ERP could have been at the higher level, they would have needed considerably more attention to maintain their performance.

However, the Four - Cheese is having it's neck rung and that ultimately means it needs more attention. If it was tuned for 504 bhp, but then limited; not de - tuned, to 400 bhp, it would go on for a lot longer without need for attention. But they haven't done that. And ultimately it will restore Alfa's reputation for unreliable motors and damage Ferrari's for excellence.

That is why, IMHO, we need a Busso replacement (250 - 280 bhp) and a Top of the range V8 (400 - 450 bhp). But the Busso replacement could be a straight six.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well, I disagree there. But it is brand dependent. Toyota's built in Japan are built to a higher standard I believe. For example the Prius is exclusively built in Japan and has been top of reliability charts since it came out. It's incredibly reliable. Back when the mark 1 Yaris was out certain versions were built in Japan and others in Britain, the British versions were known to be considerably less reliable (although that is relative as the Yaris is a very simple and dependable car in all its guises)

Similarly all Lexus models are vastly more reliable than German luxury marques. A 10 year old LS600h is a reasonably sensible buy. A 10 year old BMW 750? Potentially financial ruin. The Japanese has a totally different design philosophy to Europeans. German companies seem happy to use the end user as a beta tester for new technology. Japanese company's don't like to put out cars that will have problems. Our Land Cruiser Amazon is about to roll over 500,000 very brutal miles this year. I'm 100% convinced that there isn't another vehicle on sale that could have done the same work with so few repairs needed.

Also Toyota own Denso and a large share of Panasonic so can build the electronics to their exact specifications. Bosch are just an off the shelf supplier. I certainly rate most Japanese brands higher for reliability than anyone from Europe.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
That is why, IMHO, we need a Busso replacement (250 - 280 bhp) and a Top of the range V8 (400 - 450 bhp). But the Busso replacement could be a straight six.
But that wont happen, not in a million years, not with climate change being the major world issue (unless your name is Trump). Wish for a 1.5 turbo petrol plus an electric motor and your wish is likely to be realised.

·
Registered
451 Posts
O
But that wont happen, not in a million years, not with climate change being the major world issue (unless your name is Trump). Wish for a 1.5 turbo petrol plus an electric motor and your wish is likely to be realised.
Or 1,000cc 3 pot plus turbo and electric motor with pedals for back up when oil runs out

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
O

Or 1,000cc 3 pot plus turbo and electric motor with pedals for back up when oil runs out
Well you may not be wrong (not sure about the peddles!) Ford currently use a 3 pot 1000 in some of the Mondeos I understand.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I tend to agree......you would think that. But my father had that engine..... twice....in a Focus he owned for a few months and a courtesy car Mondeo. Both went well (well for what you would expect from any 123 horse engine!). Torque was OK too. Focus got about 40 and Mondeo about 35mpg.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I tend to agree......you would think that. But my father had that engine..... twice....in a Focus he owned for a few months and a courtesy car Mondeo. Both went well (well for what you would expect from any 123 horse engine!). Torque was OK too. Focus got about 40 and Mondeo about 35mpg.
He must have a pretty light foot. You'd get at least that mpg and power from a 1.8 n/a petrol though. And with none of the complications and expense of a turbocharger and intercooler.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts