Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Teknikens Värld - largest car magazine in Sweden - FCA is developing an in-line 6 with output 350-525 bhp.

Engine will have an e-booster - electrically assisted turbo - to enable larger turbo without lag.

It is obviously being developed in the US, but might - eventually - go into Giulia/Stelvio. The 510 bhp "Ferrari" engine in Quadrifoglios is a treat, but must cost an arm and a leg.

Since it is obviously designed also for heavy FCA trucks, it will come with loads of torque.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Unlikely to go into an Alfa I'd say. Which is a pity because straigh sixes are a lovely engine. It would be nice if Alfa had a rival for the Mercedes C43 or M340i. There is too much of a gap in the range between the Veloce and QV.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it`s not certain, but….
"Everybody" agree that FCA need to utilise common architectures better than before. Obviously there will be a large architecture for SUV:s and "other" large cars - if any. On top of "everything" there are hybrids, electric cars and fuel cell vehicles.
Giorgio needs to be updated - at least for hybrids.
Development of an engine - especially a high performance engine - is both expensive and time consuming. A 525 bhp is even more expensive - you want volumes to get pay-back.

I agree an in-line six is very good - but "my" best engine so far is the "Ferrari" in my Stelvio Quadrifoglio, together with the perfect match of the 8-speed ZF.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I agree it`s not certain, but….
"Everybody" agree that FCA need to utilise common architectures better than before. Obviously there will be a large architecture for SUV:s and "other" large cars - if any. On top of "everything" there are hybrids, electric cars and fuel cell vehicles.
Giorgio needs to be updated - at least for hybrids.
Development of an engine - especially a high performance engine - is both expensive and time consuming. A 525 bhp is even more expensive - you want volumes to get pay-back.

I agree an in-line six is very good - but "my" best engine so far is the "Ferrari" in my Stelvio Quadrifoglio, together with the perfect match of the 8-speed ZF.
Technically, a straight six would be the way to go. OK, so it will occupy more space under the bonnet, but that is the only downside in my option. Valve train will be so much shorter and accurate over a longer period. Exhaust systems so much simpler and because it is balanced, ultimately, much smoother.

·
Registered
37,301 Posts
I like straight 6 engines. Would rather have one compared to a V6 if I am honest. If they are sticking with rear wheel drive I cannot see many reasons not to use one.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I like straight 6 engines. Would rather have one compared to a V6 if I am honest. If they are sticking with rear wheel drive I cannot see many reasons not to use one.

Rear - engine, V6/V8. Front engine, rear wheel drive - straight six.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Apart from it's a long engine...so getting much harder to get through crash tests....why do you think Merc dropped the straight 6 (and even the straight 5 diesels) and replaced them with V6s?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Apart from it's a long engine...so getting much harder to get through crash tests....why do you think Merc dropped the straight 6 (and even the straight 5 diesels) and replaced them with V6s?
You don’t solve problems by walking away from them. It is a lot less complex to build a straight 6, less expensive and a lot easier to maintain. Why should a longitudinal V6 or V8 be less of a problem?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMW can get away with I-6. I believe I read in Automotive News Europe some time ago that DB is going back to I-6.
Frontal crash test is not an issue - but I believe - at least for LHD - space for driver is - engine will, slightly, protrude into compartment. It was slightly annoying in my X4.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Straight 8 would be super cool.... Massive long bonnet.... Brilliant....
Too much flex in the crank and cams. The Alfa Straight Eight of Jano was two four cylinder engines, mounted on a common frame and drive taken from the centre. This was for the camshafts too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In late sixties, SAAB made an experimental vehicle - called The Monster - with two 3-cyl two strokes, mounted, lying down, side by side, but opposit, in a SAAB 93. Handling was OK - as long as you were driving straight ahead…..
Vehicle got it`s name because of no mufflers. Six pipes straight through the bonnet/hood.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updated article in Teknikens Värld:
-patent drawing of I-6 engine design/functionality..
-Alfa Romeo chart with:
-hybrid: longitudinal 4-pot and attached electric motor/gearbox. No rear electric motor - "we are maintaining RWD/AWD" :eek:)
-E-boost, I-6 Engine, longitudinal
-plug-in hybrid, 4-pot, longitudinal, attached electric motor/gearbox.

When?
Signs are that hybrids are first in-line - including Tonale. My guess: late -21 or early -22.
Giulia and later Stelvio -22/-23. Hopefully they are modifing Giorgio. Should be fairly straight forward.
FCA are late with plug-ins: late -23?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Article in Automotive News Europe claims all "electrification" for current FCA should be done to -22. Obviously they think that the E-boost in I-6 is "electrification".
I believe I-6 will be a great engine, but even so it can`t beat current "Ferrari" V-6 - but less expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Article in Automotive News Europe claims all "electrification" for current FCA should be done to -22. Obviously they think that the E-boost in I-6 is "electrification".
I believe I-6 will be a great engine, but even so it can`t beat current "Ferrari" V-6 - but less expensive to maintain.
V6 seems right for Alfas... As istraight 6 does for bmws

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Obviously the "Ferrari" engine is for Quadrifoglios only - if nothing else, for cost reasons - an I-6 can go into trucks also - there is a "war" in the US between the lucrative and large amount of trucks. A 525 bhp I-6 would need less fuel than current V-8/V-10. The "gas" is no more free even in the US, and there are emissions.
Volumes will - very likely - be in the US.
Since engine is being developed in the US, we can expect about a 6000 rpm redline instead of preferred 7000 - but with loads ot torque.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
6,000 more than enough. 7,000 comes at a cost. I would have thought a new straight six would be more in keeping with Alfa’s previous 6C. Good torque figures from a longer stroke no doubt. If it happens!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts