Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked my Minari up from Maniflow today with its new bespoke manifold and exhaust system.
The manifold is based on the Alfasud trofeo design posted on here recently (by Stefan?) but adapted for a 16v engine. Made out of mild steel it is a lovely piece of work. Time will tell if the reduction in ground clearance is going to be a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The result is definitely more power than I had before - when I go over 4000rpm on full throttle the standard 16v clutch is overwhelmed and slips badly (which it didn't do last week!).
I have a group rolling road session booked for April with the Minari club, the truth will be revealed then.

K

·
0 Posts
that looks a neat job, and done very well by the looks of it :cool:

like the little touch of getting the logo square on, the details make all the difference ;)

hope it is the one that will make it to MITCAR for us all to see and hear it :thumbs:

·
Registered
422 Posts
That looks great Mark, coincidentaly i saved that picture from Steffen too! Are Maniflow local to you? Not sure your manifold would clear sud discs though.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi John. Not cheap - £550 + VAT. I forgot to mention that the system from the manifold back is made from stainless steel so it should last for a good long time.
The pipe sizes were chosen to allow for up to a potential 190bhp so if I uprate other bits the exhaust should be fine.
Maniflow made a manifold for my previous Minari RSR in 1999 which is still going strong with it's current owner.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Nick, Maniflow are in Salisbury. Each manifold is bespoke so they could easily work it around inboard discs.
Kev - All being well I should be at MITCAR with this one.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
id be interested to see what power increase you get with the new exhaust mark, i wonder what it could do for an 8v circa 160bhp... i was told by the engine builder that the exhaust thats on mine isn't perfect for the car and could quite easily see another 10hp with a better design!! dave young has spent 100's of hours chopping and changing manifold lengths to produce the best hp for an 8v... i was going to try and get a copy of that but if that design of yours is meant for a trofeo then i guess that'll be as good as you can get...

and as for the price i dont think thats bad, the one iv got is now £580 and is only a 2" to 3" of the standard straight manifold design (with a lifetime guarentee)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just picked my Minari up from Maniflow today with its new bespoke manifold and exhaust system.
The manifold is based on the Alfasud trofeo design posted on here recently (by Stefan?) but adapted for a 16v engine. Made out of mild steel it is a lovely piece of work. Time will tell if the reduction in ground clearance is going to be a problem.
Looks great Mark :)
If it's from my picture it's a Iresa crossover I had on my daily 33 driver. I took it off again so it wouldn't be ruined by the salty winther roads. I got one on my Sprint as well. Great sound :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Steffen,
The design was taken from an old black and white photo of a Trofeo (Sprint I think) which had large brake ducts under the engine as well. I thought you had posted it - mistaken perhaps?

Sudboy - If Dave Young made your exhaust with the facilities at his disposal, then it may be difficult to do better.
Mark

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
hi mark, dave only made the engine, the exhaust was bought afterwards by the previous owner of the car, its just a big bore version of the standard sud exhaust... after talking to him when i bought the car he told me that the engine is capable of 159bhp with the correct exhaust and that am probably running closer to 150 at the moment!!

i kinda thought of selling it for a while as i dont use it much really, so have held off from changing it but now am pretty sure ill keep it so when i can afford it ill give dave a call and find out more... am looking to get a trofeo arch kit and wheels first tho!! hopefully this will inspire me to use it more :) maybe the odd track day if i dare!!

col

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hi Steffen,
The design was taken from an old black and white photo of a Trofeo (Sprint I think) which had large brake ducts under the engine as well. I thought you had posted it - mistaken perhaps?

Sudboy - If Dave Young made your exhaust with the facilities at his disposal, then it may be difficult to do better.
Mark
I don't think I have seen the picture. Could you post here?
This is the one that I posted. Looks a lot like the one you got on now.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Dang, that manifold looks good Mark! I'd love to get something like this on the Green Machine, but I am seriously concerned about ground clearance, even with 15" rims... Let us know how you get on with the exhaust in service, I guess if its OK in the Minari it should be OK on the Nova.

I see Steffan's manifold is showing signs of grounding :(

Lauren

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Dang, that manifold looks good Mark! I'd love to get something like this on the Green Machine, but I am seriously concerned about ground clearance, even with 15" rims... Let us know how you get on with the exhaust in service, I guess if its OK in the Minari it should be OK on the Nova.

I see Steffan's manifold is showing signs of grounding :(

Lauren
Yes that was an issue on the crossovers :(
The one on my Sprint is better. On that one there is no signs of grounding :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have this one on my race car and it clears most things, really depends on how low your car is.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Steffen,

Mark
Hi Mark. I posted this pic some time back for Sprint68:http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/sudaddict/inboard_.jpg. Is that the image? I posted this for Sprint68 who was interested in the brake ducts. Credit for the pic must however go to Sprintmania.com where I took it.

I've also had a bespoke manifold made for my Sprint Veloce 16v too and I'm very satisfied with it. The engine is now more revvy and the sound awesome:D
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/sudaddict/13122009815.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/sudaddict/13122009825.jpg
YouTube - Alfa sprint 16v test drive with new crossover manifold fitted.mp4

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sudaddict - yes that was the photo which they used to base the manifold on. Thanks for posting it again.

Lauren, I will let you know about any clearance issues. Maniflow have been quite clever and lined up the crossover point with the tyre contact patch so as the wheels go over an obstacle, the exhaust rises at the same time.
Won't work with the sort of speed humps which you can straddle and not if you hit anything with enough force to compress the suspension much.

Fly33boxer. Your exhaust links 1+3 and 2+4 together rather than the usual crossover design where 1+2 and 3+4 are linked. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts