Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just had a new (donated from a 156) engine fitted and it all seems good.

However... (and I might just being picky here?), I have noticed that when driving at a constant speed the drive isn't completely smooth. It isn't bad, but just a bit niggly.

I haven't had the computer attached to a diagnostics, and am assuming that once I have done a few miles it will sort itself out??

Any advice greatly welcomed... thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
could well be "bedding" in with the ECU still on its learning curve...

could also be

incorrect timing
duff MAF
Lambda/s failure

mike

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You'll find interesting posts if you search in the Tech forums, covering rough running symptoms. Not for one moment suggesting you have this problem, but belts have been a source on occasions. The balance shaft belt timing marks being one such. Check out Tech stuff, give you loads to go on.Plus Mikes useful comments.

T

·
0 Posts
It's probably just the engine and the ecu arguing over the little things, like you would get for a while if you reset the ecu until it sorts itself out. presumably the engine and ecu are from the different cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ecu is my original. The belts were replaced (I think). How long should I leave this problem in the hope that the ecu is on a learning curve, and do you think I should take the car in for diagnostics tests?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Tom has obviously more experience than I have with these electronic gizmos. Must admit, I'm pretty much at a loss with all of it. Still back in the Dark Ages, when things were easier to fathom out. Hope you get it sorted mate for peace of minds sake.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Double check the spark plug gaps. if they are too small they can cause misfires while holding a steady speed or a poor idle. Also make sure the TB is clean.

If all is well then, as suggested, the ecu is just re-tuning.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't want to sound ignorant, but what is the TB?
Spark plugs should be fine, taken from my old engine which ran perfectly (until the incident with lack of oil) ;)

T

·
0 Posts
I would have thought it would take a couple of weeks or so of mixed driving for everything to come back into alignment,maybe the odd flash of the engine management system warning light which catches your eye at night.Fuel consumption will probably be a little heavier at first I would think but should improve fairly quickly as the fuel trims stabilise. Did you change the air filter at the same time?

Sounds like a weather forecast doesn't it!

ZF Hi mate,I'm quite experienced with older vehicles up to maybe late seventies and am currently restoring a 1960 renault dauphine, alfa made these too incidentally. I wouldn't say I knew a lot about electronics or engine management systems on alfas but I'm happy to read up on and absorb anything I can find on the subject now that I have one.

Mine's a 156 2.5 sp3 in black and with a q-system auto box which I'm finding is a very nice drive at about 22mpg.

Tom

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sounds a really nice machine you've got there Tom. I try to understand as much as I am able about the electronics, but just seem to go around in circles a lot of the time. It at least keeps my mind active trying to get the basics identified.Better than watching the box,so, what with reading a bit of printed stuff, and of course using AO am enjoying trying to learn a bit more.Cheers.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yea, what is the TB Ransoman, thought that was a jab I had in October, that was a bit painful?Serious question though, Alfa's TB?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Oh right, rings a bell now you've mentioned it. Is that in line with all the discussions about MAF cleaning and so on? Or is that a different field?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Good old Dagenham Dustbins. Only had a 1248cc Classic, 3 main bearing crank. Jaguars became my past hobby. The old XK's, stopped finally, when they introduced the V 12's. Jags kept me busy for a few years.Only last year got rid of a full set of tappet pads A-Z for the XK engines. Motoring was motoring, in them 'thar day's of yore.PS That ferret on my Avatar had an XK type motor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom, thanks for the thoughts... now you mention it, it is a bit thirstier than it used to be. I'm sure the filter was changed, I'll ask my brother (he did the re-fit for me).

As for weather forecasts... its sunshine all the way from here on :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts