Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, this free software allows to diagnose our Gtv/Spiders with following ECUs:
- Bosch Motronic M1.5.5
- Bosch Motronic ME7.3.1

and there is also possibility to connect to an Airbag ECU (TRW MY 97 type).

You can download the latest version of FiatECUscan here: Fiat ECU Scanner - Fiat/Alfa/Lancia ECU Reader

:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Will try that out tomorrow.

You will need to mod the adaptor for the airbag

I think you need to connect pin 3 to pin 7 in the adaptor to read the air bag!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will need to mod the adaptor for the airbag

I think you need to connect pin 3 to pin 7 in the adaptor to read the air bag!
Shorten pin 3 and pin 7 is not recommended.

Refer to the FiatECUScan "How to use":

Airbags
To connect to the airbag ECU you need to connect your cable to pin 3 of the OBD connector. I would not advise anyone to connect pin 3 with the other pins (i.e. 1-3-7-9 together). You'd better use a switch to switch between 1-7-9 and 3.

I will take same photos of my modified VAG/KKL USB cable with the 4pole switch on Sat/Sun.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Works first class straight in to ECU no playing around!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you need to connect pins 1 and 3 together only for the airbag and not connect 1-3-7 and 9 altogether at the same time, this right?

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
I am pretty sure it will be pins 3 and 7 that need connecting together for the airbag ECU. You need to do this with Alfadiag and Unidiag so it will not cause any damage.

A problem will only arise if you connect more pins together in one go.

I am going to try that software on my car tomorrow. Both Unidiag and Alfadiag have failed to connect to my airbag ECU

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
I am pretty sure it will be pins 3 and 7 that need connecting together.
yes

ABS ECU = Pin 1
Airbag ECU = Pin 3
Engine + Selespeed ECU = Pin 7
Electric Power Steering (which you don't have) = Pin 9

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice one, I read the forum on the site and it talks about "k line" I presume this is pin 7, the engine ECU pin?

If I can get this to work I'll save myself a fortune as the Mrs is a foot shorter and keeps buggering about with the seat!

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
Nice one, I read the forum on the site and it talks about "k line" I presume this is pin 7, the engine ECU pin?

If I can get this to work I'll save myself a fortune as the Mrs is a foot shorter and keeps buggering about with the seat!
Your best bet would be to remove the seat and solder the pre-tensioner wires together, doing away with the connector.

Then moving the seat won't make the airbag light come on in the first place. ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
true, but I'm a fiddler. I have the software and I have the cable, so it's only natural I mod the cable!
Once I'm bored of turning the light off, I'll fiddle with seat connectors and solder them up.
Plus now I know how to read and reset the ABS as well, just disconnect the 3 and connect it to the 1.

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
My Airbag ECU wouldn't respond to Alfadiag or Unidiag so I am going to give it a try.

I have tried a different ECU so the ECU is ok, but it doesn't want to talk with the computer.

If that doesn't work I will have to do some more digging. I am thinking the Power supply for the airbag ECU has been lost somehow.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My Airbag ECU wouldn't respond to Alfadiag or Unidiag so I am going to give it a try.

I have tried a different ECU so the ECU is ok, but it doesn't want to talk with the computer.

If that doesn't work I will have to do some more digging. I am thinking the Power supply for the airbag ECU has been lost somehow.
symon now I do not know what the model year of the GTV that you have, but some P1 was equipped with BECKER Air bag control units (10 pin red connector) and they can not be diagnosed with either the examiner, alfadiag. or FiatECUscan, you need to ground the
diagnos pin and read the flash codes from the air bag warning lamp if you have one of
these BECKER units.

And for the connection of interface cable, I would do as they recommend on FiatECUscan page, mount a switch between pin 3 and 7 as safety precaution, you do not want any signal to the air bag ECU when you are testing something else, if you have bad luck it may say boom.

When using the examiner for testing you are prompted when you are about to test some
air bag ecus to disconnect the air bags and put in dummy resistors instead as there
is a small chance that you may trigger an air bag during the test.

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
My car is a 1999 phase 2, so it should work ok.

I know that once the ECU has triggered the airbags it cannot be reset, but that isn't the case on my car. You try and connect and it just comes up saying a connection couldn't be established.

·
Registered
871 Posts
wow this software is brill, i have been using uni diag for a bit and this is far more simple than it,

nice one Gall

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
Symon, any screenshots ?

BTW to reset airbag light instead of "UniDiag" you should use "KWP71Diag".

You find all programs (Unidiag, KWP71Diag and FiatECUScan) here: ftp://fotogalleria.info/Alfa or visit here: UniDiag : UniDiag

To reset the airbag light by KWP71Diag just follow this: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...o-connect-to-airbag-abs-ecus.html#post2370965
I'll try and get some screenshots later. They are currently on the laptop, which is not here at the moment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone!

My first post in this forum! I have a question about this ECU Scanner. I drive a GTV V6 Turbo from 1997.

Work this software for my car?
Which ODB Hardware I need?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hi everyone!

My first post in this forum! I have a question about this ECU Scanner. I drive a GTV V6 Turbo from 1997.

Work this software for my car?
Which ODB Hardware I need?
Hi and welcome, and what a good choice of car you have made. :thumbs:

To answer your question.

Point 1 - No, except that it might be working on the air bag ECU.
Point 2 - You need an ODB cable with an (Fiat / Alfa) 3 pin connector/adapter.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts