Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I managed to get my new Pioneer DEH4800DAB head unit fitted and working nicely (many thanks to Shiny_Car for his thread and extra advice on fitting aftermarket radios). The radio sounds great and looks pretty nice too.

What I've not done yet is to fit a DAB radio aerial (the FM reception is excellent but I still want DAB). I've looked at the various options and I think I'm leaning toward replacing the existing roof aerial with a dual purpose one. I am wary of messing with the roof lining though. Has anyone ever accessed the roof aerial from the inside? How easy is it to remove and replace the headlining? Is there a power supply for the existing aerial up there that I could use? Where does the existing cabling run? All this and any experience anyone has of doing this or recommendations for alternatives will be gratefully received.

V

·
0 Posts
Are you sure that'll be good enough? The DAB signal may well have improved over the last few years, but when I had a DAB radio around 6yrs ago, the windscreen aerial didn't provide very good reception. I could only get the strongest multiplexes.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys.

Are you sure that'll be good enough? The DAB signal may well have improved over the last few years, but when I had a DAB radio around 6yrs ago, the windscreen aerial didn't provide very good reception. I could only get the strongest multiplexes.
Yeah that's my concern - and I really don't think a magnetic one (it looks a bit CB to me) would be right either. But as I said above if somebody has experience to refute that I'm happy to listen.

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
on the 147, you can access the roof aerial if you remove (pull out) the rear ceiling light..... It's probably the same on the gt.
There's also a 12v feed connected to the aerial base for the amplifier.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the rear ceiling light does look well placed for access to the aerial base - but that still wouldn't give me access to route the new aerial wires. I'm guessing they cross the roof and then go down 0ne of the A B or C pillars to get behind the dash.

I've also seen aerial splitters that can use the existing aerial so long as it's not powered. I'm now thinking of removing the power supply at the aerial end then putting a powered splitter behind the radio. Will this mean I'll lose all FM AM radio if the existing aerial isn't powered. Has any body tried this?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I know this won't help you much, but I fitted a DAB windscreen stick on aerial and the reception is spot on. Perhaps they have improved since your last experience?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a spliiter fitted in the Spider. DAB signal is not brilliant where I live but is fine when I get closer to civilisation. No problem with AM/FM.

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
Yes the rear ceiling light does look well placed for access to the aerial base - but that still wouldn't give me access to route the new aerial wires. I'm guessing they cross the roof and then go down 0ne of the A B or C pillars to get behind the dash.
I removed the front and rear ceiling lights, took a stiff piece of wire, stuck it in the hole at the rear between the headliner and fidled around a bit till I got it to come out at the front and used that to pull additional wires through and route towards a-pilars..... :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great replies guys and really useful.

All three options now seem to be much more viable - good real world reports on the stick ons make them more of a viable possibility (but because of aesthetics probably still my least favoured).

JWQ that is a genius way to get the wiring from a new aerial.

And Baldy99 is the aerial on the Spider a telescopic (non-amplified one)? If it is amplified and you've got it to work for DAB (by removing the power supply) then that would be the simplest, tidiest solution and my favourite.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Windscreen aerial works fine on our GT. Had to take it off and re-apply after a new windscreen but it still works a treat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
And Baldy99 is the aerial on the Spider a telescopic (non-amplified one)? If it is amplified and you've got it to work for DAB (by removing the power supply) then that would be the simplest, tidiest solution and my favourite.
The aerial on the Spider is an electric telescopic but unsure if it is amplified. Sorry.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks baldy99. According to the radio shops websites that kind of aerial is non-amplified, which makes it ideal for a spiltter - as you've found.

This morning I took a look inside the rear roof light to suss out the options from there. There is some access to the base of the aerial - but it's restricted - the aerial is about two inches forward of the hole in the headlining so not that easy to get the wiring off. About three inches to the left of the hole is a connecting block thingy where the aerial lead and electrical connections are combined - this is covered with a block of thick foam making it even more difficult to get at. The point being I quickly ran out of enthusiasm for adding a splitter (I found instructions to convert an amplified aerial to non-amplified here:

dabonwheels.co.uk : How to bypass an aerial amplifier

but I still don't know where the actual amplifier for the GT aerial is (I suspect in the base of the aerial above the roof but I'm no wiser as to how to disable it and then reconnect the aerial cable for continuity).

I also now think a replacement aerial is more than I want to take on at this time too - given all the positive reports for the stick on type I now think it's got to be at least worth a try. So I ordered one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252207210250?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

At least if it's rubbish I won't have broken the bank:biglaugh:

Once again thanks all for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts