Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the drivers side CV joint done today to match the passenger side. Now seems to be a lot more grippy, and almost perfect on twisty lanes.

However, still vague as a builders quote on the motorway.

Steering wheel does not really knock when parked up, but with ignition on there is a knock as I waggle from left to right. This is not really fast movement, but even fairly gentle waggling. I do like a good waggle.....

Anyway, before I invest in another alignment, I want to get to the bottom of this knocking on the steering, as it really feels that if I can sort this the car will handle perfect again.

It has had a new steering rack, and also had the valve changed as part of this.

One other point to note - get a gravelly grating sound when accellerating away with a squeak - both go when I ease off the gas.

Anyone got any ideas before I throw the towel in and buy that mundeo?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Track Rod Ends are new - the steering rack is brand new from Alfa, has inner CV joint and propshaft as part of it, so my indie tells me.

I cannot see anything else that could be changed.

May just get another alignment done first, then see.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sounds a good idea to check alignment again, you did all the suspension bushes etc? or at least checked them out I seem to remember, and checked that u/j on the column, assuming its got one? Wheel bearings were ok I think you said?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds a good idea to check alignment again, you did all the suspension bushes etc? or at least checked them out I seem to remember, and checked that u/j on the column, assuming its got one? Wheel bearings were ok I think you said?
What is the UJ on the column?

Not had the alignment re-done since new CV joints fitted. Will these affect the alignmnent at all?

My main worry is about the knocking when I waggle though. No knocking when car moving, even slowly, only when stationary / crawling really slow.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Not sure if the 147 even has one, haven't bothered to check ours to see, but on some cars small universal joint on the steering column shaft, sealed needle roller bearings, which although not often, sometimes get a bit of play in them giving a bit of a 'floaty' feeling to the steering. waiting for this idea to be trashed by someone!! Joking again of course. Have to get your head down in the drivers footwell to see it, then waggle the steering wheel.

·
0 Posts
Before you get the four wheel alignment done get to the bottom of the knock - it may be the steering uj but it might be top or bottom wishbone or a duff shock.
I assume you've checked engine/gearbox mounts.
Also try swapping tyres front to back to check there's no deformation.
There is a vague possibility that there is play in the diff I've seen it on other cars but not on alfas

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you get the four wheel alignment done get to the bottom of the knock - it may be the steering uj but it might be top or bottom wishbone or a duff shock.
I assume you've checked engine/gearbox mounts.
Also try swapping tyres front to back to check there's no deformation.
There is a vague possibility that there is play in the diff I've seen it on other cars but not on alfas
Bones and shocks are all new......

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, update.....

Knocking noise put down to the steering column itself by the joint at the bottom of the column where it meets the rack. Is this something serviceable? I fear I am looking at a new column!

While there noticed the clip for the clutch pedal has split, so replaced it with some wite for the time being - managed to somehow knacker the cruise control switch at the top of the pedal while I was there.

Just loads of little niggles now!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
So it's the lower UJ that's knocking.
The intermediate shaft (with the UJs, between the upper column and rack) is replaceable on its own, yes. Take care to torque the bolts correctly as overtightening can distort the connection and reintroduce the backlash you were trying to eliminate!
Cheers,
Simon_S

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it's the lower UJ that's knocking.
The intermediate shaft (with the UJs, between the upper column and rack) is replaceable on its own, yes. Take care to torque the bolts correctly as overtightening can distort the connection and reintroduce the backlash you were trying to eliminate!
Cheers,
Simon_S
Called the stealers - they say I cannot get the lower UJ seperate, and quoted £500 including VAT for a new column.

My day gets better.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Odd. Eper seems to show rhd at 450 + vat and lhd at 220 +vat. Seems a steep difference? maybe I`m reading it wrong. Maybe the 220 + vat is actually the intermediate shaft that Simon mentions. If it is then it's not very clear and its still a bit pricey!

It doesn't look like a very serviceable part without genuine Alfa bits so you might be looking for a scrapper one if you have to replace it. :(

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Called the stealers - they say I cannot get the lower UJ seperate, and quoted £500 including VAT for a new column.

My day gets better.
:eek: :eek: :eek: How much!
A quick check on the DTE manual suggests the column and intermediate shaft are replaced as one assembly I'm afraid.
Sorry :(
Simon_S

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:eek: :eek: :eek: How much!
A quick check on the DTE manual suggests the column and intermediate shaft are replaced as one assembly I'm afraid.
Sorry :(
Simon_S
Bóllocks.

I will just have to hope that it is a case of not being correctly tightened up when my indie replaced the rack.

Clutch pedal pin and cruise control switch are only minor niggles in comparison.

Will see how things go, then assess selling. Would be a shame as I really want to keep, and see if I can stick to 60 on my motorway work commute for 40mpg!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Agin' never having looked, seen,or even guessed at the 147 setup, but if we are anywhere near the same thing, splined clamp, pinch bolts at the correct torque? don't overtighten, stay within the threads yield point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts