Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully a simple question.

I'm in the process of changing my standard component speakers for some new shiny Alpines, which come with crossover units. The original speakers have one cable to the mid range/woofer, and another to the tweeter. Which of these do I use for the crossover input, or is it not that simple?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
it is that easy. ;)

basically, ONLY use the wires that feed to the factory woofer, and connect these to the inputs on the Alpine crossovers. be mindful of which wire is POS/NEG.

then run new speakerwire from the Alpine xover to your new woofer and new tweeter.

the wire/plug that feeds the factory tweeter can be left unused.

:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Shiny Car :thumbs:

I had a closer look after I'd sent that post and could see that both speakers (mid and tweeter) were connected to the same wire anyway :D Is the cable with the black line down it the positive?

With the crossover in the door what's the best way to stop it moving around? I was thinking of buying some double sided tape which is used to fix registration plates, and sticking them to the inside of the door panel. Or maybe it'd be better to wrap it up in foam and just leave it in the bottom of the door? That way it won't end up with gooey tape all over it.

One last question. With a new head unit and new front speakers installed I was thinking the next purchase could be an amplifier. Because I play golf sometimes and the clubs only just fit in the boot I was worried about where an amp could go without getting in the way. Can you recommend anywhere?

Cheers

·
7,713 Posts
Is the cable with the black line down it the positive?
not necessarily. the 147 is probably different, but in my GT, both wires had stripes (eg: left hand door: POS = pink/blk stripe, NEG = purple/blk stripe).

your setup is probably similar to this:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/312714694.jpg

the yellow plugs from memory have markings, so look closely (i think they are very small '+' and '-' symbols). if not, see where the wires lead to on the speaker. in the pic, notice how the terminals on the speaker are a different size. the 'wider' terminal is POS, and 'narrower' is NEG. my factory setup looks different cos it was Bose, with 2-way coaxial speakers instead of component speakers.

With the crossover in the door what's the best way to stop it moving around? I was thinking of buying some double sided tape which is used to fix registration plates, and sticking them to the inside of the door panel. Or maybe it'd be better to wrap it up in foam and just leave it in the bottom of the door?
don't put them 'inside' the door cavity - they will end up exposed to excessive moisture/water. have them somewhere behind the door trim or over the foam splash guard. in this pic of the GT, you could put them somewhere on this surface:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/312714695.jpg

perhaps secure them with velcro, or cable ties, or screw them to the door. avoid wrapping them up, because at high power, the electronics can warm up and need to ventilate/cool.

With a new head unit and new front speakers installed I was thinking the next purchase could be an amplifier. Because I play golf sometimes and the clubs only just fit in the boot I was worried about where an amp could go without getting in the way. Can you recommend anywhere?
some 2-channel amplifiers have a very small footprint. they can fit under the passenger seat, though they may rob rear seat foot room for example.

in the boot, you could fit one to either side, or onto the back of the seat.

there's various amps around that are small, like Arc Audio Mini series. fairly expensive though.
Arc Audio

there's going to be others that are small, so there's a few options (eg: jvc, pioneer, etc).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fitted the new speakers today but for the life of me I couldn't establish which was the positive wire and which was the negative. Neither the plug nor the speaker displays this information, and the two spade terminals in the plastic plug are the same size. All I did notice on the plastic plug was the numbers 1 and 2. In the end I assumed 1 meant positive and 2 meant negative. Does this sound right?

1 is a pink wire with a black stripe, and 2 is a black wire with a mauve stripe

·
7,713 Posts
i think that's correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts