Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So not had the car a week yet and already it's off the road :-(

Had a new clutch pre delivery, so slightly surprised to find the slave cylinder blow whilst changing down at some traffic lights. Pedal went soft and stayed there, with a nice trail of fluid as I pushed her off the road.

Spent 2 hours waiting for RAC and then flatbed to come cart her away. Now I have the pleasure of getting the garage I bought it from (60 miles away) to liase with the garage where it's being stored to fix it. God know's when she'll be back.

Am not happy

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by flish:
<strong>.

Am not happy</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know what you mean believe me.. I m the last person that could give you courage, because i have my bella of the road for a week too, and its not the first time this happens. But be patient, and have faith, better days will come wink

·
Registered
624 Posts
tell me about the flat clutch experience, what happens and what do u feel under ur feet with the pedaals
i want to know how to diagnose it if iot ever happens
and how much does one cost

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> tell me about the flat clutch experience, what happens and what do u feel under ur feet with the pedaals
i want to know how to diagnose it if iot ever happens
<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In this case, you push the clutch pedal down, and it stays there. Because the slave cylinder had blown, and hence the seal gone there was no hydraulic pressure so nothing to 'spring' the pedal back up. And of course clutch fluid spilling out into the engine tray and under the car.

In this case if I'd left it I'd have probably been able to stay in 2nd gear, except not believing it I pulled the pedal up and tried again, at the same time moving the gear shift down to first, which was a mistake because the clutch was disengaged and I ended up stuck in neutral :-(

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> and how much does one cost <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No idea, and hopefully nothing. But I'd expect a reasonable bill if out of warranty as you'll need parts and it's quite tight to work in there.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I don't believe it!! eek!
Do you think this is why your clutch was feeling weird?? My brother has just had a new clutch slave cylinder on his Land Rover V8, and the clutch felt really weird before he had it done. He kept bunging fluid in the top and that kepty him going to the garage...
It cost £87 all in....
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Do you think this is why your clutch was feeling weird?? <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The thought did occur, guess I'll find out!

It's gonna cost £60+Vat, which I've had ok'd under warranty, on the basis that I send the old parts back with the invoice.

Assuming parts in stock, should be able to pick up tomorrow night. Which is a relief.

Missing her already frown

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Thats not bad for a slave cylinder. Doubt that includes the labour though!

My old Uno had hydraulic clutch, but when the seal in the master (pedal box) started to leak I would be sitting at a junction/roundabout, in 1st, clutch in - and the fluid would seep back past the seal as the clutch release spring was pushing the slave cylinder back in. Result - clutch pedal stays fully down, starts to bite, then you shoot forward. As it was a smooth action you didn't stall - you just took off into the middle of the junction! Then the clutch pedal would stay down - it wouldn't come back up for ages, meaning the car is stuck in 1st gear when you need to stop it! eek! laughing

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Flish, my 156 had a very slow leak on the slave cynlinder seal, which resulted in very funny clutch feel, as the fluid was slowly dripping onto friction plates of clutch, so were both replaced under warranty. Hope this leak has ruined the clutch!?!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> the fluid was slowly dripping onto friction plates of clutch, so were both replaced under warranty. Hope this leak has ruined the clutch!?! <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think it'll have had time to do any damage. It had a new clutch in pre-delivery, a week ago, and the slave just 'popped' last night leaving a nice pool on the road and the engine tray. Hopefully leaving the clutch plate well alone.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. we'll by trying again with this car lark!

New Slave Cylinder's in and I'll be picking her up again tonight. Fingers crossed we can go longer than a week without any other problems

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> At least it's giving you something to post about, unlike that macp blighter who's buggared off into the sunset!
<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Except of course every time I post I tempt fate, and am currently trying hard not to explode.

Garage where car is called an hour ago to say that the slave cylinder didn't solve it, in fact it's the clutch, something about too much travel.

So now, I've a £60+Vat bill that the dealer probably won't honour under warranty as it didn't fix it, aswell as the garage claiming that the clutch, which the dealer's own garage allegedly fitted new a week ago, is knackered. So of course the dealer's not going to ok yet another clutch when as far as he's concerned he's just paid for and is fine.

So beyond the £60, the car is at a garage which is probably not going to get the authorisation to do any work on a clutch which may or may not be faulty if indeed it was fitted (properly) in the first place. Of course with the dealer and his garage being some 60 miles away, if it needs to be moved who picks up that bill (Warranty does specifically say I get car to him) although I feel that failing under a week is exceptional.

So, who do I trust, and what happens next. I got the dealer to agree to phone the garage, so they're either fighting or resolving, I suspect the former. Either way it's been an hour so far and no updates.

I *am* going to explode

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
any more news on this one yet?

j

G

·
Flish

Sounds like you're being buggered about here. Was it a main dealer?

They are responsible for all bills here if its being done under warranty. The slave was misdiagnosed so they should pay!!!

Sounds like the clutch was fitted badly or is the wrong one...........or something, either way its their fault again!!!

You may have to pay for parts, dunno what type of warranty it is, but only the right parts :rolleyes:

Time to get nasty, the car was not "of merchantable quality" under the sale of goods act and thats before any warranty arguments.

Go get 'em :mad:

wrinx

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This week went from bad to worse. Basically car is still at garage that did slave cylinder, but it needs to get back to the dealers garage as the clutch can't be adjusted. Basically the garage that did it first time needs to fix it.

Of course it's my responsibility to get it back, at a cost of £140 on a low loader. I think I'll fight this one. Unfortunately the company I work(ed) for laid off 1/3 of the staff, me included, on Friday so I really wasn't in the mood to fight the dealer either.

It's not a main dealer, but an independent, I'll be taking it all up on Monday, it's now been off the road for as long as I've had it, and I don't have the time or money to faff about.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Bad news flish, hope you find something soon. Have you got anything lined up?
<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Got a few contacts to talk to on Monday, but it all depends on what direction I want to go on. I'm a software developer and was working for and ISP, and there's not a lot of local options. However I know a few companies that deal purely in web development/web design so I'll check them out.

Alternatively I can go down the general IT management, route if needs be. For now I think I'll relax for the next month, I've been fully paid till the end of April so not deperate yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts