Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Two days ago my clutch gave out (throw out bearing broke) and I decided to replace the whole thing while I'm there, so I got a Valeo flywheel + complete clutch kit. Today new clutch was fitted but there is some kind of a weird noise, like a knock or a clunk when releasing the clutch, just at the top of the clutch, just before I remove my foot completely from it.

It is a one time knock/clunk only, not a continuous sound..

The whole thing is new, so should I be worried? Is there something not fitted correctly or? Maybe it needs some time for evertyhing to settle properly?

I'm pretty worried because the replacement wasn't cheap and I would hate if I had some issues now..

Edit: Car is 147, 2006, 1.9JTDm 150HP

Edit: I just tested it and it does it in 1st gear (when moving from standstill), 2nd gear if accelerating a bit harder, 3rd gear too if accelerating a bit harder... Not sure if the new flywheel (dmf) is making the noise or could it be engine mount bushes or crankshaft or.... The noise wasn't there with the old clutch even when accelerating hard (the clutch wasn't slipping)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
A new clutch should be smooth as silk, Id say take it back as release bearing may not be securely home and may snap anytime soon? Clutch plate could be incorrectly installed and it will prematurely destroy itself too if this is so. .......Basically take it back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.

This is not what I was looking to hear xD
I hope it isn't something serious because I already strained my budget with this clutch replacement -_-

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sound like slave cylinder not bolted on correctly so the knock at the end of the pedal travel is the whole cylinder moving and just knocking against the gearbox casing. I'd look at that first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys. I have solved this.

It seems that the strap holding down the battery was not bolted down properly so it was rubbing on the plastic that is covering the engine.

Thank you for your help ;D

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hi guys. I have solved this.

It seems that the strap holding down the battery was not bolted down properly so it was rubbing on the plastic that is covering the engine.

Thank you for your help ;D

you sure? There's usually quite a gap between them. Batteries are so heavy i can't imagine they move much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm sure.

I opened my hood, and the guy sat somewhere in there and asked me to try and reproduce what was making the sound. I did it once, he laughed and said try it again now. So I did, and there was no sound. He tightened the battery strap down and the sound dissappeared completely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts