Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I appreciate that this won't be everybody's cup of tea (morning Cue :thumbs: ;) )but there perhaps will be some who are interested.

I've had the car for just over two weeks and have had enough time to form some strong initial impressions. The first of these concerns the engine, a twin turbo 5.5 litre V8 with 557 bhp. There is no escaping the fact that it is quite different from the 460BHP n/a 6.2 litre in my previous C63. That car and drivetrain combination was just outright mental, a rabid, snarling, slightly manic car that could scare and delight in equal measure. On the surface the new one is more relaxed, less frenetic and actually feels slower. The turbos of course mean it revs much less and the instant/constant torque means there is not the need to work it quite so hard and I have to say that whilst the noise is still pretty special it doesn't have the crack of the n/a engine. The power though is something else, whilst it may not feel any quicker this car is very very fast in fact appreciably more so than the C. The torque as mentioned is always on tap and when dropping down through the gears the acceleration is quite ludicrous. Official figures to 60 are 4.2 and I suspect with not too much effort it'll get there in 4 or less, more of that to follow......:D Of course 0-60 is really just a willy waving metric, albeit a fun one, and it's on the go that the car really impresses, overtaking is a breeze and in the right environment the acceleration right up to the limiter is just constant. There is very very little on the road which can keep up with this car.........in a straight line.

In the bends the car belies its size (approx. 5 m and nearly 2 tons) but there's no denying it's no MX5. The steering is great and the adjustable damper setup significantly more advanced than on the C (which had just one setting rather than 3) and the AMG button which can be programmed for one's preferred damper, gearbox, tc setting is a nice touch. The gearbox itself is fantastic as an auto in comfort mode and whilst not as quick witted as proper dual clutch is adequate in paddle shift mode and is set to make lovely pops and bangs on up and downshifts. The parking brake stubbornly remains the old MB style foot operated version and is a pain.

The interior is terrific and a real step up from the C with fantastic seats in beautiful nappa leather which also covers the door panels, door tops and dash. The gadget count is insane and includes....deep breath:

COMAND Online - sat nav, hard drive jukebox, dvd player, tv, internet, google search and maps, phone, iPod, USB, bluetooth etc etc

Harman Kardon 14 speaker 5.1 Doloby Digital/DTS audio

Spiltview - passenger can watch tv or video on one side of the screen with IR headphones whilst driver can only see Nav/radio etc

Memory seats and mirrors with heating

Driver assistance package - radar distance cruise control, blind spot assist, lane departure assist, rear parking camera, self parking and speed limit assist

Intelligent headlight system - auto lights, auto high beam, auto beam strength and shaping

Rear compartment climate control

Interior "mood" lighting and exterior 'welcome" lights

AMG performance steering wheel in alcantara - lovely :thumbs:

etc etc

On top of all that it's super practical and extremely comfortable, certainly for four adults at least, and with the seats folded the boot is bigger than the C63 by some distance albeit the sloping rear eats into this.

In short I love it. It's coming with me on two organised driving tours this year with some fellow petrol heads to wales over a long weekend and then on a nine day jaunt through the alps. The C was brilliant on something similar last year and easily held its own alongside some very exotic machinery even winning "best sounding car" of the trip :D I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new one acquits itself.

I do though want just a little more noise so I have ordered a set of the below which are due for fitting next week hopefully. Not only will they up the rumble and rasp factor but they also add approximately 40 BHP and the car is being dynoed before and after. I'll try and do a video of the before and after sounds.

RADO Street-Legal (Catted) Downpipes for 2012+ AMG E63 - YouTube

Edit - apologies for the wonky pics, not sure what happened there......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
I know economy isnt something you think too much about when buying such a car, but what is the economy like (vs the C) having a downsized turbo engine?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know economy isnt something you think too much about when buying such a car, but what is the economy like (vs the C) having a downsized turbo engine?
It's an interesting question and there is the potential for it to be significantly better than the C.

In the C my lifetime average over 14k miles was about 16, to date the CLS is approx 22. CLS has the potential to manage late 20's/early 30's and the C could never get near that. The CLS has stop/start and an ECO button which I still find laughably incongruous but it does seem to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Its the "potential" to be better I suppose.

I compare the GTA with the Giulietta QV (engine wise). One has 3.2v6 250BHP the other 1.75Turbo 235?BHP..

From what I have read from G QV owners the consumption in everyday driving is little better than my GTA, however being mimsical you can probably achieve better in a 1.75T

·
Registered
34,376 Posts
Hello RSK . That's a great looking car. You were wise to change to the CLS with that more distinctive look. I'd seen one like yours parked down our road in black and it was really striking but I didn't get to hear the engine.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello RSK . That's a great looking car. You were wise to change to the CLS with that more distinctive look. I'd seen one like yours parked down our road in black and it was really striking but I didn't get to hear the engine.

Why thank you Cue :)

In another life we could probably get along just fine ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
however being mimsical you can probably achieve better in a 1.75T
I think this is the characteristic of the last generation FPT petrol engines:

You can get good economy, if you drive around in a high gear,
DERV style. You make less progress, but you can eke out the miles.

No one does this, but it's there if saving the planet is your thing.

;)

·
Administrator
45,532 Posts
The turbos of course mean it revs much less and the instant/constant torque means there is not the need to work it quite so hard
This is exactly the opposite of my understanding and experience of a turbo car.

Unless you're specifically referring the their being two, and one is small specifically to help out low down the rev range?

I knew that was the purpose of having twin mismatched turbos, but I didn't know how well the concept worked, your reporting seems to suggest that it results in better low down torque than a large N/A engine, which surprises me. I'd always assumed it could reduce, but not remove, the issue of a turbo engine.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
hurrah! i've been waiting for this review. :)

very much looking forward to some engine noise vids if possible. :cool:

RSK - so, reading between the lines, you're quite happy with it? :lol:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
no, RSK said i could have a go before SiF gets a go.

internet fact :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is exactly the opposite of my understanding and experience of a turbo car.

Unless you're specifically referring the their being two, and one is small specifically to help out low down the rev range?

I knew that was the purpose of having twin mismatched turbos, but I didn't know how well the concept worked, your reporting seems to suggest that it results in better low down torque than a large N/A engine, which surprises me. I'd always assumed it could reduce, but not remove, the issue of a turbo engine.

Whilst i'm not sure if they are twin or sequential the turbos don't suffer any perceptible lag and max revs are at 5.5/6 rather than 6.5/7 in the C63. Peak torque of 900nm vs 600nm is also reached at lower revs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,409 Posts
Stunner :inlove:

Not envious. Not at all

Whats it sound like? We need sound clips please :D

Nice motor R, dont forget you have to bring it north ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts