Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

But how many will still carry on using their phones, texting FB, calls, you see them every day and its already illegal.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
My dog walking route we take every day includes a 200 metre stretch by a fairly busy road. I’ll see at least three drivers on their hand-held ‘phone on average.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Will the ban including all the modern (mostly useless) tech they keep adding to cars that allow you to use your phone "hands free"

Its going to decimate the You Tube car channels where just about everyone films every journey!!

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It occurred to me after my OP, the government are still happy with touch screen tech? Bonkers!!

Reactions: Dave Brand

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Any law is only of use if it is policed. This change will make little difference as there is far too much reliance on electronic technology to enforce motoring law and no speed enforcement or red light jumping system is going to see the idiot using a phone.

·
Registered
38,262 Posts
They should also ban sat-navs and other distracting things in cars such as over complicated driver interfaces such as BMW idrive.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ban sat nav?

·
Registered
38,262 Posts
They should ban the messing about with it on the move. I cannot see how inputting destinations and changing routes etc is any less dangerous than using a phone.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
make them so you cant make changes once the car is moving? That said, I always get my co-driver to input the destination on the move

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
We have a speed hump outside our house. It's quite entertaining to watch all the drivers trying to keep their phones in position as they lurch over the hump.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
I’d be interested to know of how many people using their phones illegally are doing so under pressure to reply to changing directions/orders/instructions from their work/boss/customers. I know that doesn’t exonerate them, but a look at to what are the influences into people using their phones while driving could be interesting. What are the external factors? Bullied into replying even while driving?

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I would suspect most people using mobile phones for work/business would have hands free built in on their (company) car.

Reactions: TonyGr and Scudetto

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
We are not allowed to use mobiles in car, even with hands free when at work. Doesn't stop people ringing you though!

I see so many people using their phones when driving. Plenty of their cars look like they should have a built-in system for hands free but not used. The "Safety" camera vans don't pick up on this.

Its obvious on the motorway when someone gets a call. Suddenly their speed drops, they rarely change lane so they created a queue behind them.

PS I'm not a saint when it comes to this as I do use hands free calling but only if it's vital. Happier to pullover for a coffee and a chat.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
PS I'm not a saint when it comes to this as I do use hands free calling but only if it's vital. Happier to pullover for a coffee and a chat.
No need to pull over for coffee. I was nearly written off by two girls in a car on the A1M when they slammed on the brakes and swerved from the fast lane to the centre lane (which I was in). The passenger was pouring from a flask into a plastic cup held by the driver.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
No, I would suspect most people using mobile phones for work/business would have hands free built in on their (company) car.
Fair point :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Its not the rednecks yelling abuse or throwing bottles at me that scare me when im out on the bike, its the fuckwit on their phone thats going to kill me one day...

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Plus ca change

My brother punctured two tyres and buckled his wolfrace alloys on the passenger side of his Spitfire back in about 1981 when he was fiddling around with the tuner buttons on his blaupunkt car stereo and drifted off line and up a steep kerb on Kingston Hill.

Admittedly the temptations are far greater now - but we've always had distractions while driving.

In the 1960s when my brother and I were fighting, unrestrained by seat belts or car seats, in the back seat of whatever shed he was driving at the time - he would spend a fair while leaning over his shoulder trying to swipe us or shouting at us.

The Sat Nav element is a big distraction today I would say - regardless if it's built in or on the phone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts