Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tasked with finding a new car for a friend who has no interest in cars. He wants reliability, non-Frenchness and something the size of a Laguna, which is what he's got now hence the non-French bit. Budget is £2000, give or take. Doesn't have to be that new but can't be ancient. My thoughts were:

Primera (not the modern one, last of the old ones) - run forever, excellent to drive, supremely reliable.
Passat - Well built, tough.
Old shape Avensis. As Passat, very reliable.
MKIII Mundano - cheap, well specced, loads about, good to drive.

What else am I missing? No Alfas please, and no ancient BMWs, Audis or Mercs. Image is irrelevant in this case.

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
I would personally go the Mondeo route, i don't think they show there age badly and they are bunged with goodies and not shabby to drive.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda Accord
Volvo S40
Seat Toledo
I have a Volvo S40 and wouldn't really recommend one. They don't have the solidity of Volvos of old and the GSi engine is ****e.

Given that he isn't out to impress anyone, and will never wash the bloody thing, a Mondeo seems the obvious choice. Not least because there are millions of the things and I have to find one for him.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Honda Accord?

I know of someone with an X reg Nissan primera that he has owned from nearly new and he has had nothing but trouble with it. So I wouldn't recommend one of those.

·
Premium Member
77,204 Posts
Focus - they are excellent

I know it's smaller than a Laguna, but better in pretty much every respect than all the other family hatches on the market (including the 147)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Focus - they are excellent

I know it's smaller than a Laguna, but better in pretty much every respect than all the other family hatches on the market (including the 147)
If I give you my wife's phone number will you ring her up and tell her the focus thing? She keeps harping on about Golfs but the prospect of paying £1500 more for something with no toys, a crappy 1.6 engine and a habit of exploding gearboxes doesn't really appeal.

A Focus estate would no him I think.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honda Accord?

I know of someone with an X reg Nissan primera that he has owned from nearly new and he has had nothing but trouble with it. So I wouldn't recommend one of those.
That is pretty unusual. I've had two which, between them, had covered nigh on 300,000 miles and both were as good as gold. I know of P11 Primeras which have done well over 200,000 miles and still don't use any oil.

Anything which might be considered upmarket is really out of the window because it will be probably end up being serviced at the main stealer and BMW and Audi labour rates might make him wince.

·
Premium Member
77,204 Posts
If I give you my wife's phone number will you ring her up and tell her the focus thing? She keeps harping on about Golfs but the prospect of paying £1500 more for something with no toys, a crappy 1.6 engine and a habit of exploding gearboxes doesn't really appeal.

A Focus estate would no him I think.
totally agree

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did this 3 years ago and got a Mondeo. Still have it now, no repairs needed in that time.

I was originally looking at Passats, Audis, Volvos etc but they are so much older for the money - I got a 5 year old Mondeo for £2k instead of a 10 year old Volvo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Volvo 850R?
Not the best idea for someone with 'no interest in cars'!,

They need TLC at the age they are at now.
Also 2k will only really buy you one needing work doing to it.
3k is what you need to buy a really good one with all the major stuff done.
If you want an old 850 then youd be better off going for a normal T5, 2k will get you a later V70 with cash to spare...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I think the Mondeo is the favourite though. Not least because there are 10 decent sounding ones within 10 miles of my house.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts