Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I took delivery of a new Veloce today and drove it home after part exchanging my old 2010 1.4 MA.

After getting home im really not sure if I've made the right decision.

I signed up to a PCP deal and as I say I part exchanged my old car.

Any ideas what my options are? Is there any chance I can take it back to the dealer and get my old car back?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Sorry to hear this but why? I must admit I sat in a new Gqv 3 weeks ago and it wasn't a better enough place to be than my 2010 2.0jtdm2 other than the satnav radio to change to the new car. You will lose at least 30% of the forecourt price if you try to go back on the deal so early on. Feel for you fella!

·
Registered
33,751 Posts
Think of the benefits of having a new car such as reliability and that it's a great car. I think there's a cooling off period of 14 days but not sure how it would apply to a pcp.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
just wonder what that other extra 70bhp might feel like compared to my car? Maybe you just need to give it the beans on your favourite road and you might get to love her?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just can't seem to justify the extra £100 a month on pcp costs, that's not even taking into account the running costs.

I do see the benefits of a new car, the main reason I got one is because so much needed doing to my old one (4 new tyres, brake pads and discs, water cooler and oil pump) , I've now got a warranty and peace of mind if anything goes wrong.

I've just got that feeling of regret and is it worth it. The more I think about it the more I think I should have looked at one of the diesel models.

·
Registered
33,751 Posts
The 1.7 Tbi seems very well rated by people who get them . Unless you do a crazy mileage it's not going to be a lot more to run and if it does then think of the extra as another hobby! You were about today incur a big spend had you kept your car; how many £100s of pounds? Months in other words.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
In the words of the Great "Take That", Never Regret where you've come here from! No matter what You own a fantastic car! You probably haven't had the chance to exploit the idiosyncrasies of the engine or the amazing chassis feedback without worrying about Mr Plod, get yourself to Germany for a taster. I'm sure the current Veloce is a really good car for anyone who doesnt have £60k burning a hole in their pocket. Alfa may have just ditched a huge of amount of fans including myself with the re-branding/alignment of the Quadrifiglio name. £60k for 510 bhp is a pretty good deal

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I think you will be able to cancel the PCP agreement under the 14 day cooling off period, which would start a day or two before you took delivery of the car. The finance company will then invoice you for the full amount of the car. This is your problem, as the dealer won't give you the full value of the car as it has now been registered and an owner (albeit for a very short time). So I think I am right in saying that it will cost you quite a lot to get out of this one.

It's not unusual to get the feelings you are having - especially when it is costing you more (and maybe a little more than you are comfortable with.) But give it time and as mentioned above you would have had to fork out quite a lot to get your old car sorted. Try and forget about it, smile and embrace your new wheels!

·
Registered
33,751 Posts
And despite losing the QV name the Veloce gains some lovely alloys you can't get on another version of the Giulietta.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Why don't you upload some pictures as I am sure you will then get some very positive comments of your fantastic new car which may take away your feeling of regret.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi all,

I took delivery of a new Veloce today and drove it home after part exchanging my old 2010 1.4 MA.

After getting home im really not sure if I've made the right decision.

I signed up to a PCP deal and as I say I part exchanged my old car.

Any ideas what my options are? Is there any chance I can take it back to the dealer and get my old car back?
I went from a GMA TCT to a QV TCT and I don't regret it. The QV/Veloce is better in every way. That 1750 engine/TCT box combination is fantastic. I enjoy the rather huge difference in performance immensely. Build quality is better than the 2010 cars and your Veloce has some really nice trim, I especially like the carbon-look trim in the headlights. And I wish I could get those alloys, they are stunning. I'd say give it a chance to win over your heart!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
From what you've said you've already identified about £1000 worth of repairs. Your old car will need servicing too and the cambelt, if not already changed will need doing sooner, if not when the waterpump is done. First service on a QV, if you haven't taken out a plan is about £100 without an oil change, 5th year service is at least double that. Plus everything is 4 years younger & 4 years less worn out. I know you're paying for piece of mind but can you afford the risk? I'm not suggesting that you do this but if you bought a 3 year warranty and three years roadside assistance & recovery with international cover, you'd be adding on at least another £2000. So repairs plus warranty & breakdown cover = £3000 - that's 2 1/2 years of the pcp accounted for not accounting for anything else that might wear out on the way - like the battery, Multi air unit........

I'm convincing myself here I need a new car!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sorry to hear you are feeling like that but think you should give it more time, i traded our 4yr old Giulietta 170jtdm for 1.4 ma like you i did wonder if i had made the right decision .
Perhaps you feel it is not that much different to your old one? I think the Veloce model you have is superb and has some really nice touches to it, plus the newer models are much better bolted together and have a much quieter cabin than of old, if it's costing you £100 per Month more then i think it's money well spent or look at it as £25 per week for a new Car and three yr Warranty.
Hope you settle in to it soon .

·
Registered
37,526 Posts
I think it is normal to wonder if you have done the right thing when it comes to spending large amounts of money.

Give it time, as they say the quality will be remembered long after the price has been forgotten.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I know you mentioned about thinking that you should have gone diesel. Unless you are doing mega miles then there really isn't much in it. I've just come from a 1.6JTDm and changed to a cloverleaf so I do understand where your concern may arise from. Early days but these are my changes to costings: In order to keep the derv running well I used V-power diesel, short journeys choked it & it wasn't running warm enough to regenerate, so to go to plain petrol is a big saving. I calculated that taking this saving into account I'd spend £180 per year more on fuel based on 24mpg (what people on here get around town) for the cloverleaf, 42mpg for the JTDm (average over 13000 miles). My insurance has increased by £18 per year. Any other costs were going to be the same. Remember this is a 1.6JTDm, not a 2.0. My average MPG with my (first) Giulietta was 36mpg. I reckon that would wipe out any savings.

Now I know my circumstances are unique to me, but they are the figures wherever possible that I have obtained - you will probably get something different and others will tell you how economical theirs are, but that's what I did & to be honest, my current average is a few mpg higher than anticipated, so quids in there.

I know that having a car you don't like is awful, especially if you believe that you are paying over the odds for it. I would suggest to you that the actual difference in cost between all three situations is minimal. Its the cost of running a car, any car, that is expensive.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Buyers remorse. It'll pass, especially as your Veloce starts to run in and loosen up. I came from an Evo, running costs on the 1750 TBi are miniscule in comparison! Only thing I'd say regarding servicing is make sure they change the oil at each service even if you have to pay a little more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Almost certainly guilt over spending cash. A friend of mine bought some brand new decks and a mixer a few years ago and felt so ill at spending the money they sat boxed for over a week. He got over it! 😁

·
Premium Member
42,855 Posts
I traded my 2.0jtdm 170 veloce 2011 in June for a new 2.0 jtdm 175 speciale tct and I am paying £70 a month more for it.

To me the extra per month so far has been well worth it :thumbs:

The car is so much quieter and the tct box suits me to a tee :D

Hope you get to enjoy your Veloce soon matey :thumbs:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your comments, all are greatly appreciated.

I still have the feeling that I've made the wrong decision. I don't know why I've totally changed my mind. Id negotiated a good deal over the past couple of months and paid a deposit.

I've just had a real change of mind, I should have looked at getting a new car with lower running costs and the possibility of getting my payments down and not up.

I'm looking at all my options and I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me to see what they can offer. Obviously one of my options would be to sell it privately and see what I can get for it.

I wonder if there would be any interest out there and any ideas what a realistic asking price would be for it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts