Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At last, I have finally got around to fitting my new brakes: :D

View attachment 65985

Calipers: 4-pot Brembos, sourced from Ferrari 360 Modena
Discs: 305 x 28mm, grooved
Pads: Performance Friction Z-rated
Fluid: ATE Superblue Racing DOT4
Hoses: Goodridge braided stainless steel

They are phenomenal, really really impressed with them. Pads are making a fair bit of dust but my alloys are poor and in need of a refurb anyway.

Many thanks to SEARs & Pascs for the bits and pieces and helpful advice :thumbs:

And big thanks to Nigel (GTA_Nigel) for the set of PFs, without you I'd be on EBC Greenstuff. True gent, I owe you one :thumbs: :thumbs:

Question is, do I fit the Ferrari decals?? :hmm: :confused:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Looking good :thumbs:

Hard to say about the Ferrari decals, I still have mine on but keep thinking that people look and think "there's some [email protected] who's put Ferrari decals on his calipers". Was actually going to change them to Brembo decals. And then need to decide on the colour of the decals too

How do you find the pedal travel with the F360 calipers?

C

·
0 Posts
Nice work Dan. what did you do for mounting brackets?

And definately fit the fezza badges.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres a little more pedal travel than with the single piston floating calipers, before you reach full braking power. Before, it only took a short distance before the pedal was rock solid and the car was slowing down as much as it could, but just not as fast as I liked. Now, the pedal doesn't feel quite so firm and the braking power is much more than before. Maybe it has more to give, but I've not tried hard braking from anything over 60mph yet.

The front end really does dive when you brake hard. Funnily enough I've not managed to get the ABS to come on or the wheels to lock up. The Vredesteins have only about 3mm of tread left so I'm very impressed with them as well.

In two minds about the Ferrari decals for those exact reasons. I've bought them though, so I think I will put them on and if I don't like them I can always take them off. They look naked without anything on though.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Thats what I thought when I first fitted mine but now the pedal feels fine. The caliper pistons are a little larger than the Brembo GT kit calipers but I think the overall feel from the brakes is very good, and I believe the pistons are a good bit smaller than the GTA calipers

With a set of PF pads they must be very strong brakes :)

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work Dan. what did you do for mounting brackets?

And definately fit the fezza badges.
Pat sold me the calipers & brackets from his 156 that he is reverting to standard. I'm going to keep my eye on the brackets but they've done plenty of miles on his car so I have faith in them. Plus they won't be seeing any track time, as much as I'd love to I'm not going to be able to afford it any time soon, insurance is due next month :(

Re: the decals, I thought you belonged to the school of subtlety, you even used the 2.5/3.0 manifold on your engine.. If I don't like the Ferrari decals should I go for Brembo or Alfa Romeo ones?

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I thought when I first fitted mine but now the pedal feels fine. The caliper pistons are a little larger than the Brembo GT kit calipers but I think the overall feel from the brakes is very good.

With a set of PF pads they must be very strong brakes :)
Yeah, the PFs are a godsend really. I have a set of EBC Greenstuff pads that I could have put in, but it would have been doing the calipers an injustice really. Only PFs or DS2500s for me. Do these take the same pads as the Brembo GT kit? The PFs I have are for GTA 305s but as they have been worn down a bit already they fit fine.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Yeah, the PFs are a godsend really. I have a set of EBC Greenstuff pads that I could have put in, but it would have been doing the calipers an injustice really. Only PFs or DS2500s for me. Do these take the same pads as the Brembo GT kit? The PFs I have are for GTA 305s but as they have been worn down a bit already they fit fine.
Yes the Ferrari pads are the same as the Brembo GT kit, this was part of the reason I bid on those 2 sets of Ferrari calipers, I couldnt find much info on them but took a chance they would work OK - they are exactly the same as the Brembo GT's but with bigger pistons and 5mm difference in the mounting distance.

The GTA pads are 17mm and when new wont fit but worn a few mm and they are fine. I think Focus RS and Cupra R use the same pads - cant remember if they are 17mm or 15mm

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
The GTA pads are 17mm and when new wont fit but worn a few mm and they are fine. I think Focus RS and Cupra R use the same pads - cant remember if they are 17mm or 15mm
17.5mm for the GTA ones.

The brembo GT kit is 15mm.

Also explains why the GT caliper kit is 5mm thinner than the GTA calipers. :)

The Ferodo part number is FCP1348H for the GT kit.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
...Pads: Performance Friction Z-rated
Are you sure they are the "Z-Rated" compound?
Autolusso said they were not available in the small Brembo size, so only sell a racing compound, which is very aggressive and produces dust that burns into your rims...

DS2500 are FCP1348H

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure they are the "Z-Rated" compound?
Autolusso said they were not available in the small Brembo size, so only sell a racing compound, which is very aggressive and produces dust that burns into your rims...

DS2500 are FCP1348H
Ah, I might be mistaken then, I thought the "Z-rated" was the racing compound that produces the aggressive dust.. I've only done a few hundred miles and my alloys have gone a shade darker.. Whatever the pads I took out were (discs stamped 'Red Dot', invoice in service history for 'Tarox Sport Japan' discs & pads) have produced some awful orange coloured dust that has attached itself to the alloys though.. I'm not really all that fussed, they couldn't really get much worse to be honest :lol:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Is it just me or are the 'slots' facing the wrong way?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I dont believe there is a "correct" way for the slots to be facing. Some manufactures say one way and some another................my feeling is that the outer part of the slot should meet the pad first

Could be some scientific reason though

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Nice one PUD, your motor is really shaping up now- good job you bought it not Darren:cheese:
I'd steer clear of the ferrari decals, Brembo or Alfa for me, although what effect they will have on braking performance I don't know:cheese:
As to your wheels, do you have a plan for them (I like those wheels:p if you ever think of upgrading)
And more importantly - What next ? After insurance.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
I dont believe there is a "correct" way for the slots to be facing. Some manufactures say one way and some another................my feeling is that the outer part of the slot should meet the pad first

Could be some scientific reason though
That is the usual direction.
Sometimes it depends on the details of the slots as to which direction they should go.

If the internal vents are not directional (most road discs are not, but racing discs are) then it probably isn't critical.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Pud, they look much nicer in red & with GTA wheels to show them off.

IMHO i'd put Alfa Romeo decals or Brembo on them.

With the grooves faced the way you have them they will wear the pads aggressively.

When fitted to my car i had them the opposite way & the brakes were just brillant.

Once the pads fully bed in the pedal will become rock solid, rem the discs will have their own profile which the new flat pads will have to wear into.

Makes me want to fit my GTA uprights & calipers to my car now :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts