Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a gouge in the nearside front brake disc, this means a new disc and pad setup at the front, im sure.

is it worthwhile doing the rears as well?

are there any model differences or should i just go for discs for any 156 (not incl gta)?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
as an AO member you get 40% of disks/pads from red dot ... I got all 4 disks and a full set of pads for £209 delivered ... although I wouldn't personally recommend the pads as they seem to fade quite alot (although they seem a bit better now after doing about 5k)

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Unless you have issues with your current flexi hoses, don't bother with the braided ones.

For the discs & pads, try: Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By

If the rears are not wornout, they don't need replacing. Simple!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cheers, maybe i wont bother with the braids then. front discs and upgrade greenstuff pads for £111.50 delivered doesnt seem too bad.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
ok cheers, maybe i wont bother with the braids then. front discs and upgrade greenstuff pads for £111.50 delivered doesnt seem too bad.
EDC Greenstuff pads don't have a good reputation.

Either stick to the std pads (which are usually Mintex from them), of get something like DS-Performance (but they cost a lot more).

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
How old is your? The later ones which have VDC have a very poor brake pedal responce and feel when pressed hard. I believe it is due to a different ABS system which is linked to the VDC. That in itself would be a good reason to fit braided hoses, but the earlier cars don't need braided hoses unless used frequelty for trackdays.

Performance pads often need to be warmer to work, so consider this when choosing pads. Personally, as a particularly spirited driver, I find the standard setup ok for road use. I use Ferrodo Premier pads which resist fade upto 700 degrees which is well into the territory some alledged performance pads are supposed to work. I also got change frm £30 for front pads. They are temperature and speed stable.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
IThe last discs I bought from Buypartsby were made by Quinton Hazel and were amazingly good quality for the money.

I like OMP road sport pads, but they are expensive for the 156.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Vehicle Dynamic Control. The anti skid electronics nanny. You would have a button down near the handbrake and an insturment panel warning lamp. Generally if the car has body coloured bumper inserts and door mirrors, it has VDC.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
ally, whats VDC? my car is a may 2000 build, last of the euro 2's or thereabouts.
The extra electronic gubbins only came along in the 2002 interior facelift. So you don't have it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
When did the 156 Selespeed production stop?

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
When did the 156 Selespeed production stop?
The 156 Selespeed was made until they stopped making the 156.

The 147 & GT Selespeeds are still made.

The 159/Brera 2.2JTS Selespeeds are available too (but doesn't apply to this forum section)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I take it the Selespeed changed to CF3 type as the same time as the regular 156? Thanks BTW.:)

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
I take it the Selespeed changed to CF3 type as the same time as the regular 156?
Yes, Sept 2000.

And then changed to the 2.0JTS in 2002 for most markets. But some kept the 2.0TS (just like the manual 2.0).

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't know how you know all this stuff, but you are a wealth of information and indispensible on AO.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It's an incredible deal, but I've got recent discs and pads.:( Besides, I'm glad I've got good discs and Ferodo pads.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have placed an order at BuyPartsBy, standard vented 285mm discs with "upgrade" pads, £117.50 delivered inc VAT. that'll do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts