Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whitequay dealership are saying I need new brake discs for my mito. Had it just over 2 years done 32k miles. They want £390 to do the job! This is to fix the problem with the squeaky brakes and wheels. Surely this should be covered under warranty but they're saying no. Is there a way to check this with Alfa directly?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crikey! £515 for the 36k service. Oil change, oil filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, air filters, pollen filters. That sounds rather expensive to me - what have other people paid?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
That's ridiculous! Tell them you'll find somewhere else at that price and they might reduce the price for you. If not, find somewhere else. As long as they use official Alfa parts, it won't void your warranty. I've got my first service this May and I'm afraid my service cost is going to be stupid. I came across all the service parts for my 95 bhp on ebay and it came to £39 or something, that's air filter, oil filter, spark plugs etc, so if they say it's gonna cost £300+, I won't accept it and will look at using the local garage my parents use who are really good. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
what have other people paid?
£130 on same car as yourself, 36k service. (plus £70 for brake pad change)

go independent! don't go to the dealer if they quote you silly prices

can we make one of these threads a sticky? it seems every other week we have one of these...

·
Registered
573 Posts
actually instead of making this a sticky - could we have one called "bet you can't guess how much the dealer quoted me...."

winner each month gets a free gift - or just a pat on the back

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have been prepared to pay as much as £300 seeing as they've given me a really nice Giulietta 170bhp Veloce with 18 inch wheels as a courtesy car.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
go independent! don't go to the dealer if they quote you silly prices.
+1 :thumbs:

1st service = £115
2nd service = £150

By going through an independent using genuine Alfa parts.

The stealership first time quoted me £330, and second time £480 (- 10% hahah)

No contest really!

Oh and your breaks ARE covered by the warranty, at the very lest to replace the pads and shims. That's what they did for me (although it only lasted for all but a couple of months anyway before they started squealing again - learned to live with it and not use my brakes so much. The MiTO has got excellent engine breaking BTW).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had gone for the whole job it would have cost me £900! I'm still not convinced that the squeaking issue isn't under warranty as others on this forum have managed to get it resolved under warranty.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Oh... I've just noticed you have the TB120. The break squeal is covered in warranty for the TB155, not TB120 (different brakes). Sorry :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh and your breaks ARE covered by the warranty, at the very lest to replace the pads and shims
you sure about the pads? aren't they essentially considered a consumable (like tyres or wiper blades)?

I'm still not convinced that the squeaking issue isn't under warranty as others on this forum have managed to get it resolved under warranty
the squeaking is a bit of an odd one as far as i'm aware. newer cars had it fixed under warranty - the brakes come with a coating that can cause squeaking. I've also been reliably informed that a bit of squeaking is not an issue at all, and all brakes do it from time to time - unless it is an ear splitting metal on metal sound and you have had your brakes checked it should be nothing to fret over, except maybe from being annoyed.

but if you feel it's an issue, badger the dealer. after all they were taking the **** with their offer, it's time you returned the favour.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You've been reliably misinformed!
I was informed this by gus from alfatune (they are around here at times). I will happily stand corrected by them if i'm wrong here and misunderstood (i'd asked him in a PM about squeaky brakes).

rumour has it they know their alfas....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The squeak comes not just when braking. I notice other cars also make a noise when braking so that I can accept. It's the slowing down (without touching brake pedal), using the clutch to move along in traffic, the first few moments after setting off, or reversing is when I get an unbearable squealing noise that sounds different to the noise made when braking.

The dealership wanted £390 to replace the brake discs and pads and another £515 for the 36k/2 year service. I'll take my business elsewhere and leave with a smile having borrowed their 170bhp Veloce spec Giulietta for the day - had a fun lunch break!

·
Registered
573 Posts
The squeak comes not just when braking. I notice other cars also make a noise when braking so that I can accept. It's the slowing down (without touching brake pedal), using the clutch to move along in traffic, the first few moments after setting off, or reversing is when I get an unbearable squealing noise that sounds different to the noise made when braking.
doesn't sound like it's the brakes then. i would definitely point that out to the dealer and get it fixed. you might have shot yourself in the foot a wee bit if you've told them it's the brakes. they should definitely fix it under warranty though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For anyone still interested, here's a recording of the sound it makes from inside the car, with the windows closed and open: http://boxof.chocolateco.co/alfasound.mp3-10602.mp3 - recorded this over a 2-3 mile journey.

Noises occur at 5-20mph and they go away if I touch the brakes. So it surely can't be a braking problem? But what is it then?

I've sent the recording to the dealership in case they weren't able to replicate the problem or simply didn't believe me.

This would be the first time I've had the windows wound down, fans and radio off inside and I didn't realise it was that ear piercingly loud! It's a nasty whining noise and anyone within 50 metres could probably hear it in some cases. The noise seems to vary though sometimes its quiet but other times, as the recording suggests, it's like nails on a chalkboard.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Noises occur at 5-20mph and they go away if I touch the brakes. So it surely can't be a braking problem? But what is it then?
The calipers need servicing because they are not releasing properly.

Very common with sliding piston calipers that are not serviced properly (which will apply to most cars until they get serviced outside the main dealer network!)

You may well need new discs & pads too, but it is difficult to tell from here!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The calipers need servicing because they are not releasing properly.

Very common with sliding piston calipers that are not serviced properly (which will apply to most cars until they get serviced outside the main dealer network!)
When you say the calipers need servicing, what does that mean? Is it a big job? Do the brake discs need replacing? Should it be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
For anyone still interested, here's a recording of the sound it makes from inside the car, with the windows closed and open: http://boxof.chocolateco.co/alfasound.mp3-10602.mp3 - recorded this over a 2-3 mile journey.

I've sent the recording to the dealership in case they weren't able to replicate the problem or simply didn't believe me.

This would be the first time I've had the windows wound down, fans and radio off inside and I didn't realise it was that ear piercingly loud! It's a nasty whining noise and anyone within 50 metres could probably hear it in some cases. The noise seems to vary though sometimes its quiet but other times, as the recording suggests, it's like nails on a chalkboard.
And I thought I had noise problems with my Mito! That's horrific! I would get the dealer to give me a courtesy car and keep the car until they fix the problem. If its still under warranty, they SHOULD fix the problem, full stop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts