Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Well after giving advice on which to get, on Sunday after giving the interior a good mains vacuuming, went to start it and flat battery! So bought a Varta AGM from Tayna who I've dealt with in the past. New battery due later this p.m.
Order was processed yesterday so great service from Tayna.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Yes I did. From Tayna, invoice stated Stop-Start Plus but I received a Stop-Start. I did query it but was assured it is the same specification. It was a bit more than the last one. I use an old, but serviceable, battery from my BMW motorcycle and some leads I made to use as a memory saver whilst changing the batteries over. Saves having to do all that resetting afterwards.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes I did. From Tayna, invoice stated Stop-Start Plus but I received a Stop-Start. I did query it but was assured it is the same specification. It was a bit more than the last one. I use an old, but serviceable, battery from my BMW motorcycle and some leads I made to use as a memory saver whilst changing the batteries over. Saves having to do all that resetting afterwards.
Great, thanks. I’m down to 12.19v now after a few hours of the car standing idle, so I think it’s on the way out. Time to order.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Best to change it before it lets you down. In the past a battery would give a gradual and steadily decreasing serviceability but now they seem to fail rapidly with hardly any warning.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes; the last battery on my old 156 started it one morning, then half an hour later completely refused. And that had way less on it to drain it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Guys
Do i HAVE to use a memory saver when battery swapping?
I dont mind resetting steering wheel thingies and other errors but.. is there any important stuff that can get lost with battery out?
Like, i have 6.5" uconnect live with navi live, will i end up needing some code to make it work again (which i don't have)?

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
No you don't have to use a memory saver. However I use one as over the years with different cars it has saved the bother of entering codes, re-tuning the radio presets and all that other palaver (if necessary) associated with changing batteries over. Whether you'll lose settings I don't know but seeing as a battery saver is as simple as a couple of leads and a spare 12 volt battery, doesn't even have to be a good one, is it worth chancing it?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Best to change it before it lets you down. In the past a battery would give a gradual and steadily decreasing serviceability but now they seem to fail rapidly with hardly any warning.
What he said, my battery worked in the morning and completely failed 8 hours later! No warning whatsoever just couldn't start the car.

·
Registered
737 Posts
New Varta E39 battery arrived today from Tayna. It’s a bit cold but it shows 12.43v on my meter; by comparison the battery on the car shows 12.19v after being unused since last night.

Should I put the new battery on charge to get it up to 12.6v or just put it in the car?

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
New Varta E39 battery arrived today from Tayna. It’s a bit cold but it shows 12.43v on my meter; by comparison the battery on the car shows 12.19v after being unused since last night.

Should I put the new battery on charge to get it up to 12.6v or just put it in the car?
When I received mine it was too dark to fit so put it on charge overnight using an Optimate Pro 4. The terminal p.d. was 13.6 volts once done. Charging voltage according to Garmin EcoRoute with engine running was 14.3 volts. And no bothering with resetting as I'd used the memory saver!!! .

On Tayna's site they do say (somewhere) to give a new battery a charge before fitting it

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've just fitted a new Varta e39 to my G. Stop-start initially didn't work when i fitted it, but after a run down the motorway on my morning commute, it's now working as it should. :rotate:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I got round to fitting mine yesterday; 6 hours on charge and the ctek still didn’t switch off despite almost 14v showing in the meter.

With 760A replacing the 570A of the previous battery it’s much keener to turn over on the key. S-S is now working again after a run down the motorway, and on leaving work today it work after just a couple of miles in town. Result!

I just have to fix the source of the errant rear wiper and wandering radio tuner now. I suspect a broken wire in the right side tailgate loom...

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
I just replaced my battery the garage fitted a platinum which was 60ah, the one that came out was 63ah, is there much difference, the new battery has a higher 550A rating, the stop start actually worked after a run, but not since.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I've stopped trying to fathom just when stop/start will kick in. On some of the frosty mornings it worked after just a few miles, drove 15 miles at a 'good pace', stopped and it didn't work! So many parameters have to be met for it to work.
I presume the Platinum was specified as suitable for s/s.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Yes I even phoned them, my 3 year old 500x the stop start works all the time, even under heavy load of lights air con etc, sometimes technology can be frustrating, I'm not too bothered but if it exists wouldn't mind it working

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know some won't recommend it but I put a Halfords battery on mine and its spot on, the old battery was the Halfords AGM96 which was on its way out and i didn't fancy the same one again as it was only maybe 3 years old and I thought that was a bit soon for it to fail.
Instead I put the slightly cheaper EFB096 battery on it and its been great, I always turn off the S/S anyway as its annoying but with the new battery even after 5 minutes and a cold engine the start/stop works.
:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
At MicksGarage we stock a wide range of the best brands in Batteries at unbeatable prices, every day great deals. Go and check our big selection and get the exact Battery only selecting your vehicle's make and model.

Let us know if you need anything else.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts